Atheist and Christmas I was wondering if Atheist celebrate Christmas in any way

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-11-2015, 06:19 PM
RE: Atheist and Christmas I was wondering if Atheist celebrate Christmas in any way
Christmas was a big deal when my kids were growing up but not in any religious sense...it was about Santa and gifts and watching their eyes light up.

Now Christmas is scaled back quite a bit since my kids have their own kids to do the Santa thing for.

I make supper for everyone on Christmas Eve...I give gifts to the grandkids. Some years the adults exchange gifts, sometimes not...depends on how things are going for everyone financially.

My biggest stress is figuring out what to cook. I always make something that isn't traditional...still trying to figure it out for this year. My son-in-law wants Hatteras style clam chowder but I have to figure out what else to make since not everyone will eat it.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
12-11-2015, 06:23 PM
RE: Atheist and Christmas I was wondering if Atheist celebrate Christmas in any way
I don't celebrate Christmas, but that's because I'm an obsessive-compulsive stick-to-himself who doesn't like having his routine disrupted, avoids large gatherings like the plague, and has a low tolerance for hearing the same twelve songs from two generations ago repeated over and over and over for six weeks, when six hours is enough to drive anyone insane. I've got no problems with other people celebrating Christmas, so long as they don't drag me into it. I'd rather spend the day alone with a book or a video game.

But there's no reason that atheists can't celebrate Christmas if they want. Just take the Christ out of it. It's not really that hard to do. The corporations already did the lion's share of the work and he was only kind of half-heartedly pasted into it to begin with.

... atheists should probably also bear in mind that the yule log is merely a nice, fiery log, and not actually Odin's dick.

(12-11-2015 03:32 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I want one of these for my tree

[Image: closeup.jpg]

Wow. You seem obsessed with balls and noodley appendages. Tongue
[+] 2 users Like Reltzik's post
12-11-2015, 06:27 PM
(12-11-2015 03:15 PM)MattB Wrote:  I was wondering if Atheist celebrate Christmas in any way and if they allow their kids to?
Yes, it is a cultural and official public holiday.
My kids get presents from us and Santa and their grand parents. We have family get together and eat lots of food and drink alcohol.

I'm not too worried that the Christians high-jacked the old Winter Solstice holiday and rebranded it, at least we still have the holiday.

Same thing goes for Easter, the Christians high-jacked the holiday meant to celebrate fertility via praise to the fertility Goddess Eastre, at least we still have the holiday and enjoy chocolate eggs and Easter bunnies (all symbols of fertility).
Of course I don't pray to the goddess Eastre, but I do celebrate a holiday all about chocolate.
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
12-11-2015, 06:43 PM
The same shit could be said of wedding ceremonies. The exchange of rings on the fourth digit of the left hand (fertility charm), the sharing of food by the bride and groom (nowadays a piece of cake, in years past a piece of meat. Something that would fill you up. No pun intended.) The throwing of flowers (another fertility charm), giving dowrys (Amazon wish list), Mickey Mouse fucking Clarabelle Cow at the alter (okay, I made that one up). They're all pagan/heathen traditions,

Don't get me started on funerals.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
12-11-2015, 06:43 PM
This thread has become politically incorrect. Very hemispherist.

For the past 9 years my Christmas has been on or below the equator... Wot winter?

This year if all goes to plan, I'll be in Mongolia... guaranteed white Christmas.

A country sandwiched between China and Russia... guaranteed atheist experience.

Big Grin

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
12-11-2015, 06:56 PM
(12-11-2015 03:59 PM)julep Wrote:  We put up an artificial tree and some lights and do presents. During the season Ie drive around and look at Christmas lights and displays, too, because they're interesting and fun.

Christmas is the end of a very busy work schedule for me, so I appreciate the day off. And I like presents. We'll open presents, and if one of them is one of the boxes of snacks, we'll feast on it. Often in the afternoon we go to a movie.

Good day to go see the new Starwars
[+] 1 user Likes MattB's post
12-11-2015, 06:57 PM
(12-11-2015 03:30 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(12-11-2015 03:25 PM)morondog Wrote:  Izzat the day Atheist was born to not give a flying fuck about you or your sins?

Yes. And on Atheistmas Eve, Atheist comes to your house and eats all of your goodies.

And the babies, don’t forget the babies!

[Image: 54b34b90727b4ea692a065b5955a88a3.jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
12-11-2015, 07:10 PM
Perfect opportunity.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

12-11-2015, 07:20 PM
This question comes up every year. Take a look...

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...-Christmas

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ist?page=2

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...-Christmas

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...an-Atheist

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ious-value

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
12-11-2015, 07:38 PM
(12-11-2015 06:43 PM)DLJ Wrote:  This thread has become politically incorrect. Very hemispherist.

For the past 9 years my Christmas has been on or below the equator... Wot winter?

This year if all goes to plan, I'll be in Mongolia... guaranteed white Christmas.

A country sandwiched between China and Russia... guaranteed atheist experience.

Big Grin

I have heard horror stories about mosquitos. Good luck!

Yep it gets pretty hot here at xmas. 40C+ days are not unusual.

WTF is a white christmas? Bondi beach is invaded by English backpackers!

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post