Atheist and Christmas I was wondering if Atheist celebrate Christmas in any way

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-11-2015, 08:31 AM
RE: Atheist and Christmas I was wondering if Atheist celebrate Christmas in any way
(12-11-2015 03:20 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Yes, but I celebrate Atheistmas.

I stick with Newtonmas

Not to disrespect the all powerful atheismo though.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-11-2015, 09:01 AM
Atheist and Christmas I was wondering if Atheist celebrate Christmas in any way
(13-11-2015 08:31 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(12-11-2015 03:20 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Yes, but I celebrate Atheistmas.

I stick with Newtonmas

Not to disrespect the all powerful atheismo though.

I stop by for a couple of days and already you're skating on thin ice!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
15-11-2015, 12:08 AM
RE: Atheist and Christmas I was wondering if Atheist celebrate Christmas in any way
I celebrate Christmas because I like getting presents.

I am also thinking of going on a pilgramage because I like walking. I can't figure out which one though. It's a hard choice because there are so many:

https://youtu.be/cCEBwSk0ePM
15-11-2015, 12:10 AM
There is a well known holiday for atheists: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8rzt-vj2gU
17-11-2015, 01:14 PM
(12-11-2015 03:15 PM)MattB Wrote:  Atheist and Christmas

I was wondering if Atheist celebrate Christmas in any way and if they allow their kids to?

We have a man here that he and his family deck out their property with lights and such just no religion to it. Yes they exchange gifts.

So was wondering how other atheist did it?

I posted this to another group and was surprised by the answers so thought I do so here for prospective.

Hope this offends no one here.

It is a cultural holiday, with zero religious meaning to me. I grew up with santa claus, xmas trees, and gifts like the majority of americans I would presume, those of course who aren't members of groups who don't participate based on their religious views. Being my parents were ministers it was also steeped in the dogma of Christianity.

Then as I got a bit older and realized santa claus was really my family, I moved one step closer to the adult world. Some never leave santa claus, and continue to believe with child like wonder in a fairy tale of a magical half god, half human who walked on water and handed out miracles like Benny Hinn on a world tour known as jesus....the santa claus for adults.

I chose to grow up. But of course continued to enjoy the holiday for its family-centric focused value and fellowship with loved ones while whimsically decorating the house with lights, reindeer and santa claus Smile

Sadly my parents still worship at the feet of a fabricated concept called jesus, to them "santa claus" is still real.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
17-11-2015, 01:24 PM
The only thing I like about Christmas is some of the music. I don't care if I ever hear Jingle Bells again, but there are a lot of really good Christmas songs, including some of the religious ones (Silent Night, It Came Upon a Midnight Clear, O Little Town of Bethlehem, etc.) -- not to mention great classical pieces like Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker, Bach's Christmas Oratorio, Handel's Messiah (not really a Christmas piece, but it has come to be associated with Christmas), etc.

I celebrate Christmas by (1) not working! and (2) listening to some of the above music (I have more of it than you can hear in one day). I also celebrate New Year's Day by listening to Strauss waltzes all day -- in honor of the annual tradition in Vienna, and just because I really love Strauss waltzes.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
29-11-2015, 08:35 AM
Just spent half an hour doing all the decorating I am doing for the Christmas season. I have a small collection of Christmas trees set out on the antique sewing machine, three of them look like they are made of ice. A tree and a stack of gifts that have a Dr. Seuss vibe to them on the mantle along with a small string of lights, and a tree made of ornaments in the pass-through window between the kitchen and living room.

I had to open two packages of batteries...whew, I'm exhausted. Big Grin

Happy holidays! Thumbsup

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
29-11-2015, 11:18 AM
(13-11-2015 08:30 AM)natachan Wrote:  Our families are Irish. We eat too much, get drunk, and sing badly. There is often at least one fight.

I wish I was joking.

For an Irish family, this sounds like, you know, Tuesday night.

There is no "I" in "team" but there is a broken and mixed up "me."
[+] 2 users Like TheMrBillShow's post
29-11-2015, 03:23 PM
I am agnostic and believe Christmas is something positive during the dark winter months.
29-11-2015, 03:40 PM
In my family Christmas is a time of gift giving and thinking of others. There is almost zero religious tags on to the holiday for us.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results