Atheist and Christmas I was wondering if Atheist celebrate Christmas in any way

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-12-2015, 05:33 PM
RE: Atheist and Christmas I was wondering if Atheist celebrate Christmas in any way
(29-11-2015 06:12 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Yes we "do" the holidays. My mom asks me to go to church with her, and I do ... since she always asks, and it's a tradition. And there I see all my drunk friends from high school. Tongue

[Image: buckysbest%201.jpg]

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
01-12-2015, 05:51 PM
RE: Atheist and Christmas I was wondering if Atheist celebrate Christmas in any way
Fuck I love GM! Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
01-12-2015, 05:53 PM
I do, only for the presents.

[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
01-12-2015, 06:01 PM
(01-12-2015 05:21 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  I do the decorations and the enjoying family. And if course the time off work. I don't have anything religious in it and never have. I enjoy the events and atmosphere. It's all fun.

Oh, sure - it's all fun and games 'til the Christians show up. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
04-12-2015, 05:04 AM
This December I'm using the same Jehovah's Witness advent calendar as last year, as I never opened the doors.
[+] 1 user Likes Silly Deity's post
04-12-2015, 03:01 PM
Although I nominally celebrate Christmas, I do it largely from a pagan perspective.
The Christians hijacked its celebration from the Roman's festival of Saturnalia (the Roman farmers' festival to mark the end of the autumn planting season in honour of Saturn) at the winter solstice.

The earliest known reference to it (Saturnalia) commemorating the birth of Christ on 25 December is in the Roman Philocalian (Catalogus Liberianus) calendar of 354CE. The Orthodox Church in the Byzantine half of the Roman empire originally fixed the date of Christmas at 6 January, simultaneously celebrating Christ’s birth, baptism and first miracle. Interestingly, the end of winter and the coming of the new year was also celebrated in the later Roman empire at the dies natalis solis invicti, or the "Birthday of the Unconquerable Sun" on 25 December.

Whatever, the so-called Christian celebration was copied from the Romans' honouring of one of their pagan gods, or the sun (sol).

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
04-12-2015, 03:08 PM
(04-12-2015 05:04 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  This December I'm using the same Jehovah's Witness advent calendar as last year, as I never opened the doors.

Some of you heathens might like this Beer Advent Calendar better. Cheers!

[Image: bier-adventskalender-bierkasten-123477905344_23346.jpg]

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
04-12-2015, 03:09 PM
(04-12-2015 05:04 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  This December I'm using the same Jehovah's Witness advent calendar as last year, as I never opened the doors.

What's behind door number three? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
04-12-2015, 03:16 PM
I could care less about Christmas. I only exchange gifts with my mom because she is into it. I spend lots of time with her outside that day anyway. I find this an odd question, I also don't celebrate Hanukkah or Ramadan. Holidays are either religious superstitions, a day of nationalism, or an excuse for business to attempt to sell you crap you don't need.

Outside birthdays and anniversaries I don't see why you need a special day to hang out or give something to someone. I guess my Grinch attitude comes from my mom when I was a kid expecting everything to be perfect and flipping out when something was out of place. She is much more relaxed now and we have fun on say Thanksgiving and Christmas I to see the smile on her face, but we don't make it into a big production.

But considering the age of the planet, I find religious holidays especially silly because the planet has been around long before our human concocted myths.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
04-12-2015, 03:19 PM
(04-12-2015 03:09 PM)Chas Wrote:  

What's behind door number three? Consider

It looks like someone took the bottom part of a case of beer, wrote numbers on it for the advent calendar and made little doors with an exacto knife. For some forum members there would be a lot of forward time travel...like the whole case would be gone in two days. Tongue

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.