Atheist and career

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-06-2012, 03:12 PM (This post was last modified: 23-06-2012 03:35 PM by Logisch.)
RE: Atheist and career
Rahn and Kim's responses are both good, I like those. The term agnostic is usually far better accepted than "atheist." Really, you don't have to tell people anything. Rahns response is good in that you're giving them something and saying your beliefs are private. Most people won't bother asking after that.

While terminating someone for their beliefs is stupid, low and really horrible, people have been forced out of jobs over it before.

I always just tell people that I prefer to keep work and religious discussion separate. Most people seem to be ok with that. Remember too that you're not committing a horrible sin by lying since you're an atheist Wink No one will know.

I understand wanting to be careful. My mother used to be a teacher, and jobs have been hard to find in that sector, so I can totally understand not wanting to have it impact your career.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
23-06-2012, 08:01 PM
Thanks for all the input. It is nice to hear thoughts from fellow heathens.

"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." Albert Einstein
23-06-2012, 09:05 PM
I'd definitely go with the 'I keep my religious views private' thang! That's good stuff, that is Thumbsup

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
23-06-2012, 09:48 PM
Hey, Spivey.

Do what everyone does. Man up, don't sit at the back of the bus and accept the hardships that lead to change.

[Image: 369eer.jpg]

Hey, Kim.

Quote:Agnostic might satisfy their questioning -it's fairly non-commital.

Remember the other day when I was complaining about American backpackers in Europe sewing Canadian flag patches to their bags.... yeah.... this.

Ahem.... Attention, Atheists.... STOP TELLING PEOPLE WE KNOW EACH OTHER!!!

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
24-06-2012, 03:43 PM
(23-06-2012 09:48 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, Spivey.

Do what everyone does. Man up, don't sit at the back of the bus and accept the hardships that lead to change.
I totally agree with this, however, during the first three years of employment, the school district can choose not to re-hire me for any reason. They don't even have to state why. So, one down, two to go. After that, I won't be as careful.

"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes Spivey May's post
24-06-2012, 03:51 PM
(24-06-2012 03:43 PM)Spivey May Wrote:  
(23-06-2012 09:48 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, Spivey.

I totally agree with this, however, during the first three years of employment, the school district can choose not to re-hire me for any reason. They don't even have to state why. So, one down, two to go. After that, I won't be as careful.
Hey Spivey,

That sounds like a good plan Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
24-06-2012, 07:16 PM
(23-06-2012 01:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(23-06-2012 11:41 AM)Spivey May Wrote:  I'm sure this has been talked about many times before, (insert dead horse here), but I can't find quite what I am looking for. I don't personally know anyone else who is an atheist, which is how I found this place.

I live in rural Utah in a very mormon community. My family is not LDS and I have never believed in a god. Very few close friends and family know my lack of beliefs. Most people just assume my family has some kind of christian faith, but doesn't go to church. I am a teacher in our local school district and am worried that if people find out I am an athiest, it could have a negative effect on my career. I just finished my first year teaching, but have been encouraged by higher-ups that I should be going into administration.

I'm just not sure how to respond to the "What ward to you belong to?" and "What church do you go to?" questions. I'm not ashamed, I just don't what to deal with the backlash. Because this area is so small, something like this could be a wildfire. One more fun fact; my school district prays at the beginning of every meeting.

Any way, I'm not really sure what I should do. Just answer and deal with whatever happens? Deflect? Run away? Cry? How would you handle this situation?
For what it's worth, their meeting prayer is unconstitutional, but you may or may not want to point that out. Dodgy

If I feel that telling someone I'm atheist is risky, I go the privacy route. I can't actually remember the last time I dodged the question, but I don't live in Mormon or Fundy La-La Land.
The constitution went out the window a long time ago. Sad

Justin
24-06-2012, 09:00 PM
Unfortunately many are protected on paper, not so much in real life.

I have occasionally softened it when pushed, for fear of retribution by jut saying I am not a person of faith and drop it there. Most people don't know how to respond so no further conversation is needed.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
24-06-2012, 11:49 PM
Spivey, Please disregard Ghost...wait for your 3 years to be up then do whatever you want. However, i dont know if you have a family or kids or whatever, but in the interest of self preservation in these times just suck it up, do your job and go home...dont cause waves, dont be rude. (i.e dont be like ghost)

In the military we have strict laws against religious infringement, yet leadership LOVES having prayers at every major ceremony, but they call it an invocation. Can I complain? yes. Do I? No, My career is 10000x more important than a 30 second prayer. Cover your Ass and you'll be okay.

Shock And Awe Tactics-- The "application of massive or overwhelming force" to "disarm, incapacitate, or render the enemy impotent with as few casualties to ourselves and to noncombatants as possible"
[+] 1 user Likes Likos02's post
25-06-2012, 06:41 AM (This post was last modified: 25-06-2012 06:52 AM by Ghost.)
Likos is right about a bunch of things.

1 - I'm really rude. How I can suggest that someone struggle instead of sitting meekly and taking it is just shocking.

2 - As a former soldier myself, I agree that religious views don't enter into it. There should be some sort of policy in place that lets people know that as long as you don't ask anyone about it, or don't tell anyone about it, the problem will be solved.

3 - History is full of people who didn't rock the boat and went on to great things, like Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King jr, Gandhi, Alice Paul, Nelson Mandela, Lucy Burns, Harvey Milk, Jane Roe, the Founding Fathers...

4 - Career and comfort are way more important than being treated like an equal.

I think something very interesting is going on. Whites in the developed world have always been fortunate enough to have white privilege (and before people go off, white privilege is an actual thing, not just some shit I made up). The vast majority of whites don't even know that they have it, but they do. It shields them from what it means to be a minority and what it means to be discriminated against. Blacks, Asians, Hispanics, Natives, brown people, women, gays, etc, know exactly what it means, so when they become Atheists, it's not such a big deal because they already know that they're going to have to struggle and above all, sacrifice, in order to earn the respect they deserve. They're aware of slavery, disenfranchisement, arbitrary arrests, being fired, being barred from certain places, being deported, being interned, being imprisoned, being attacked, being killed... these are all the things that happen to people when they're minorities who are looking for equal rights. But people who have experienced white privilege their entire life just don't understand these concepts because they've never had to. That's not an insult, that's the reality. So when white Atheists are faced with a situation in which fighting for equal rights means the possibility of sacrifice, I find that some default to their regular understanding of life, that life is stable and that people simply have rights. But life is unstable and people fight for rights. So if people aren't willing to sacrifice their stability, their jobs and their careers, then people simply aren't going to win the equal rights they perceive they do not have. So by all means, don't rock the boat, but then don't bitch when someone asks you to pray with them at work and you have to say, "Yes, massa."

There is no nice solution to this tied up in a pretty bow. Fighting for rights is ugly and it costs. If you're not willing to fight, then like Major Payne said, "If you want sympathy, look in the dictionary between shit and syphilis."

I’m black. I don’t have the luxury of pretending that I’m not when I think people might be mean to me. When Atheists are routinely put to death, enslaved, or imprisoned, come on back and I’ll pour you a big ol’ steamin’ cup o’ sympathy. Until then, accept that white privilege ain’t gonna save you from this one and get up, stand up, stand up for your rights. Marley didn’t sing that to be cool, he sang it because he had to.

Understand what the struggle is about and live it. Don’t be this guy:

Be a man. Struggle. It’s not just for brown people, women and gays anymore!

ON EDIT:

Check out the film CRY FREEDOM. It's an excellent film about Apartheid Era South Africa. It really deconstructs the cost of freedom. It follows a black activist Steve Biko and Donald Woods, a white newspaper editor who has been shielded from everything by white privilege and suddenly finds himself facing things he never has before. If you can't get a good DVD copy, here's a crappy YouTube version.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
[+] 2 users Like Ghost's post