Atheist and career

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-06-2012, 05:07 PM
RE: Atheist and career
Hey, Rahn.

Thanks, brother.

Hey, Chas.

Yeah, but that's just heredity (actually, I think they refer to that as an ecocline, but I haven't read up on that yet). The differences in those groups built up because of selection pressures and genetic drift (Scotland is on an island and Germany is not. Not a lot of cross-water fucking going on). But the nature of those differences is irrelevant; that's the big revelation genetics offers about race. But now that people can fuck whoever they want anywhere on the planet (gene flow), you get people like me who has to be like, I'm a Zambian, Scottish, Irish, English, Hugenot, Canadian born and raised in Quebec and I think there's some German and some Jew way way back there. It's silly. Racial purity indeed lol.

I think we need to get off this though because it has very little to do with threats Atheists perceive to their careers Cool

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-06-2012, 05:33 PM (This post was last modified: 28-06-2012 05:40 PM by GirlyMan.)
(23-06-2012 11:41 AM)Spivey May Wrote:  Any way, I'm not really sure what I should do. Just answer and deal with whatever happens? Deflect? Run away? Cry? How would you handle this situation?

Here you go. I can vouch for this employer. Not only do they not give a shit about your personal metaphysics, they're not even allowed to ask. And they don't give a shit about your race, gender, or sexual preferences either. ... Oh and they not only pay for Grad School, they pay your salary while you go to Grad School. Thumbsup

Government Jobs in Utah for Physical Scientists

(25-06-2012 06:41 AM)Ghost Wrote:  I think something very interesting is going on. Whites in the developed world have always been fortunate enough to have white privilege (and before people go off, white privilege is an actual thing, not just some shit I made up). The vast majority of whites don't even know that they have it, but they do.

I was born a poor black child.

No seriously, I was raised in PG County Maryland in low income housing. Matt is correct, but if more caucasians were raised alongside poor black children, white privilege would disappear rapidly. My kids' generation don't see skin color as anything more than different melanin content.

(28-06-2012 01:49 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, Cantor.

I prefer meth Hobo

That's just a low fucking blow. Now I just want to sumo your ass. I won't be on meth in the dohyƍ, but I will be on anabolic-androgen steroids.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
28-06-2012, 05:54 PM
Bullworth once said, "White people have more in common with black people than they do with rich people." That's becoming truer by the day, my fellow soon to be serfs.

Matt
28-06-2012, 06:03 PM (This post was last modified: 28-06-2012 06:08 PM by GirlyMan.)
(28-06-2012 05:54 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Bullworth once said, "White people have more in common with black people than they do with rich people." That's becoming truer by the day, my fellow soon to be serfs.

Ah, but you can buy your way out of serfdom. I mean you might still be playing a game you don't believe in where everyone except you are NPCs (or maybe I'm just another NPC), but that don't mean you can't play it well.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
29-06-2012, 08:04 AM
Ghost,

This is what I meant. I can't explain it very well, so I'll let someone else.

http://www.tolerance.org/tdsi/cb_color_blindness

Back to the original topic, I have to thank everyone again for their advice. While at a workshop this week, the conversation during lunch turned to religion in schools. The teachers I was sitting with were all in favor of praying with students in school. Of course they all wanted in to be mormon or christian based. I took the opportunity to play devil's advocate and asked if this meant that if they were to go somewhere were christianity was not the majority religion if they would be okay being forced to pray with that religion. Of course they wouldn't. The comment that came back to me was that by not having religion in school, it was government endorsed atheism. I brought up the bible verse that says prayer should be private. It got really quiet and then someone changed the subject. Good times.

"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like Spivey May's post
30-06-2012, 07:43 AM
Hey, Spivey.

I see, said the blind man Cool

Personally, I think the entire education system is fucked. In this instance, colour blind is just a synonym for cookie-cutter. So to me, it's like prettying up a pig. I like Daniel Quinn's understanding of the education system. Man, Quinn is awesome Cool

That being said, within the scope of the education system as is, I think it's great if teachers can tailor their lessons to the kids' needs. There's far too little of that. For example, we know that dyslexia exists, but we pretty much just expect dyslexic kids to keep up with everyone else and we penalise them when they can't. There's a million studies that show that children learn in different ways and that the ones that excel are the ones that just happen to learn effectively in the manner in which their school teaches, while other perfectly capable children wallow in so-called failure for no good reason other than the system is too fucking lazy to change itself. It's sad really. So if you can take the time to help each student individually, more power to you.

The problem I perceive in the States (outside of the fucked up education system) are the polarised views about religion and education. There's no reason that religion cannot be an active part of a school's curriculum. Teaching religion in school IN NO WAY constitutes religious influence on the government. Neither does the fact that it's taught in a publicly funded school system. It's just teaching what's true; people X believe A and people Y believe B. But, like most things in the States, it's all zero sum. EVERYONE has to believe A and only A God damn it! B must be crushed under foot! It has to be one way or the other and can never be both; God forbid we embrace the full spectrum of knowledge rather than our own politically motivated narrow band! The hidden conceit that no one speaks of is simply that both sides think that they have the absolute truth and that therefore, all other truths are necessarily wrong. It precludes teaching diversity. "If you teach religion, you'll create a nation of religious zealots who will take over the government and usher in a wave of tyrannical theocracy and oversee the dismantling of all scientific inquiry!" "If you don't teach religion, you'll create a nation of godless sinners who will take over the government and usher in a wave of tyrannical secularism and oversee the dismantling of all religious freedom!" It's so Chicken Little it makes me a little ill. I don't know. I'm feeling kinda ranty. I don't know if this paragraph made sense. It does in my head, but, y'know.

Matt
[+] 1 user Likes Ghost's post