Atheist and country music. Please help!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-05-2016, 01:08 AM
Atheist and country music. Please help!
I am an atheist. I love playing guitar (acoustic) and I love the musical characteristic of country music. It is easy to play, to sing, to enjoy although not many people think the same way I do. The only thing I don't like is the parts with Gods and Jesus in some songs. Some songs are really catchy and fun to play and sing along but I cannot force myself to sing something like "God made me this" or "God gave me that". I hate when I find a song with a really good melody just to figure out they ruined it by putting God in it.

I am an atheist yet I love listening to the genre of music that has the highes religious verbals rate just after religious praising music in churches. I cannot help it because I don't enjoy musical arrangements, rhythms, melodies, instruments,... of other genres that much. Can someone please help me?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-05-2016, 01:41 AM
RE: Atheist and country music. Please help!
Welcome to TTA.

I can't help much but I can sympathise... Jerusalem is an electrifying piece of music IMHO.

I guess you could have a go at rewriting the lyrics.

Yes

23-05-2016, 02:00 AM
Sorry, the closest I ever got to country music was some Johnny Cash and the acoustics guitar work of Days of the New, a late 90's alternative rock band.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
23-05-2016, 04:21 AM
(23-05-2016 01:08 AM)toantranhhs Wrote:  I am an atheist. I love playing guitar (acoustic) and I love the musical characteristic of country music. It is easy to play, to sing, to enjoy although not many people think the same way I do. The only thing I don't like is the parts with Gods and Jesus in some songs. Some songs are really catchy and fun to play and sing along but I cannot force myself to sing something like "God made me this" or "God gave me that". I hate when I find a song with a really good melody just to figure out they ruined it by putting God in it.

I am an atheist yet I love listening to the genre of music that has the highes religious verbals rate just after religious praising music in churches. I cannot help it because I don't enjoy musical arrangements, rhythms, melodies, instruments,... of other genres that much. Can someone please help me?

As far as I'm aware lots of country music makes little or no reference to deities. It's often about the ame subject matter as other musical genres. Why don't you listen to the stuff that contains no religion?

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
[+] 1 user Likes Silly Deity's post
23-05-2016, 05:13 AM
When I sing (anything), I'm playing a part of the "I" character in the song. I don't have to agree personally with what the character thinks, I just have to deliver the lyrics convincingly.

When you're just singing for yourself, leave out the lyrics or change them, or sing them while rolling your eyes at the stupidity. If you're singing for a job, be the character.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
23-05-2016, 05:49 AM
If you enjoy music that contains references to religion, play it. Nobody is going to take your atheist card away unless you start believing that a god exists. Many art forms were created by the religious and contain references that atheists would never use but they are still enjoyable. I can't stand most country music but there is plenty of music in other genres that talks about Jesus and I still like the music. I just let the references become generic for me if I bother to think about them at all.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
23-05-2016, 06:51 PM

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
23-05-2016, 08:02 PM
(23-05-2016 01:08 AM)toantranhhs Wrote:  I am an atheist. I love playing guitar (acoustic) and I love the musical characteristic of country music. It is easy to play, to sing, to enjoy although not many people think the same way I do. The only thing I don't like is the parts with Gods and Jesus in some songs. Some songs are really catchy and fun to play and sing along but I cannot force myself to sing something like "God made me this" or "God gave me that". I hate when I find a song with a really good melody just to figure out they ruined it by putting God in it.

I like certain songs that use the words "god" or "Jesus" in the lyrics. I think they're catchy and I like singing along to them, so I just replace the words that I don't like with derogatory terms and sing it with same sincerity that I would if I was singing it as though I was a bible believing Christian. At least it makes me giggle.

It also makes people look at me strangely if I'm doing this in the car with the window down. -Which I try not to do. Some of these crazy religious nuts carry guns in their cars.
23-05-2016, 08:04 PM

#sigh
23-05-2016, 08:36 PM (This post was last modified: 23-05-2016 08:40 PM by Thumpalumpacus.)

Look into Outlaw Country -- Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Johnny Paycheck, Tompall Glaser -- old-school stuff. They didn't pander to audiences, and they didn't write bullshit. Start with Red-headed Stranger and move on to The Outlaws. You can't go wrong with Willie or Waylon.

No genre gives me everything I want as a guitarist. I have to cherry-pick what's important for the musical moment: what does the audience want? What am I in the groove for? Find a happy medium and work your fingers to the bone.

Whaddya get? Bony fingers? Smile
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post