Atheist and country music. Please help!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-05-2016, 08:50 PM
RE: Atheist and country music. Please help!
(23-05-2016 08:36 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(23-05-2016 01:08 AM)toantranhhs Wrote:  I am an atheist. I love playing guitar (acoustic) and I love the musical characteristic of country music. It is easy to play, to sing, to enjoy although not many people think the same way I do. The only thing I don't like is the parts with Gods and Jesus in some songs. Some songs are really catchy and fun to play and sing along but I cannot force myself to sing something like "God made me this" or "God gave me that". I hate when I find a song with a really good melody just to figure out they ruined it by putting God in it.

I am an atheist yet I love listening to the genre of music that has the highes religious verbals rate just after religious praising music in churches. I cannot help it because I don't enjoy musical arrangements, rhythms, melodies, instruments,... of other genres that much. Can someone please help me?

Look into Outlaw Country -- Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Johnny Paycheck, Tompall Glaser -- old-school stuff. They didn't pander to audiences, and they didn't write bullshit. Start with Red-headed Stranger and move on to The Outlaws. You can't go wrong with Willie or Waylon.

No genre gives me everything I want as a guitarist. I have to cherry-pick what's important for the musical moment: what does the audience want? What am I in the groove for? Find a happy medium and work your fingers to the bone.

Whaddya get? Bony fingers? Smile

Though I don't consider myself a country music fan I love me some Outlaws...one of my favorite albums...just don't leave out Jessi Coulter. Add some Kristofferson to that and I can find a lot I like. Thumbsup

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
23-05-2016, 09:07 PM

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-05-2016, 11:39 PM
(23-05-2016 08:50 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(23-05-2016 08:36 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Look into Outlaw Country -- Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Johnny Paycheck, Tompall Glaser -- old-school stuff. They didn't pander to audiences, and they didn't write bullshit. Start with Red-headed Stranger and move on to The Outlaws. You can't go wrong with Willie or Waylon.

No genre gives me everything I want as a guitarist. I have to cherry-pick what's important for the musical moment: what does the audience want? What am I in the groove for? Find a happy medium and work your fingers to the bone.

Whaddya get? Bony fingers? Smile

Though I don't consider myself a country music fan I love me some Outlaws...one of my favorite albums...just don't leave out Jessi Coulter. Add some Kristofferson to that and I can find a lot I like. Thumbsup

I sure didn't leave her out on purpose, it's just that I don't know any of her work outside of that album. Her singing on "Suspicious Minds" sticks in my head most of all, a beautiful crystal-clear voice ... but Dad didn't buy country albums put out by gals. He was a bit down-home East Texas like that, for better or worse.
23-05-2016, 11:47 PM
No gods need apply:

This is country, for my money ... Blake Shelton can spit it out if'n he wants, he wouldn't make a pimple on Willie's ass when it comes to music.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
23-05-2016, 11:49 PM
Oh -- and it ain't country, but it's country, if you know what I mean -- this is my jam, play it at my funeral:

24-05-2016, 06:04 AM
(23-05-2016 11:39 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(23-05-2016 08:50 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Though I don't consider myself a country music fan I love me some Outlaws...one of my favorite albums...just don't leave out Jessi Coulter. Add some Kristofferson to that and I can find a lot I like. Thumbsup

I sure didn't leave her out on purpose, it's just that I don't know any of her work outside of that album. Her singing on "Suspicious Minds" sticks in my head most of all, a beautiful crystal-clear voice ... but Dad didn't buy country albums put out by gals. He was a bit down-home East Texas like that, for better or worse.

I don't know much of her stuff outside of that album either. The duet on "Suspicious Minds" is really good and I like "I'm Lookin' For Blue Eyes" too. Smile

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
24-05-2016, 06:45 AM

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
24-05-2016, 07:34 AM
(23-05-2016 05:49 AM)unfogged Wrote:  If you enjoy music that contains references to religion, play it. Nobody is going to take your atheist card away unless you start believing that a god exists. Many art forms were created by the religious and contain references that atheists would never use but they are still enjoyable. I can't stand most country music but there is plenty of music in other genres that talks about Jesus and I still like the music. I just let the references become generic for me if I bother to think about them at all.

Yup. Personally, I like Christmas carols, and my favorite is O Holy Night; the high note is how I judge singers. I also like Amazing Grace, mainly 'cause it's one of the very few songs I can sing well, and often sing it when I'm alone in the car on long trips.

Music is music, and good is good. You just have to get used to the idea that some things transcend everything else. There is even Truth ™ in the Bible, Koran and other religious books. It's really kind of stupid to throw out the baby with the bath water.

Oh crap!
24-05-2016, 08:26 AM
I'm a semi-pro musician myself. My band doesn't cover any god-related stuff but I enjoy lots of songs that have those references. It's all over rock 'n roll too. There's The Beach Boys' "God Only Knows," and George Harrison's, "My Sweet Lord," both of which are all-time favorite songs of mine. I can separate my own beliefs from those of the artist or those of the song itself. It doesn't bother me to have to grapple with that, I don't need to agree with the sentiment of the lyrics to appreciate their beauty or melodic quality. There are some really well-written Christian hymns too, some of the best ones describe a longing on the part of the singer or narrator to connect with Jesus or God. While I don't share that longing I can appreciate the significance of it. Silent Night is a beautiful song about a mother and child, even if you discount the divine element.

I don't think I'd perform in a band that played hymns or god-oriented music, primarily because I feel like fans of that music, Christian Rock or Christian Country or gospel music deserve to hear it performed by artists who take it seriously and are as into it as they are. I would feel like a phony. Doesn't mean I can't appreciate a well-written song, even with the occasional reference to the Sky Daddy here and there. Some of the most beautiful paintings and sculptures ever created were for the church. You don't need to be a believer to marvel at the beauty of the Sistine Chapel, for example.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr. Boston's post
24-05-2016, 08:45 AM
(23-05-2016 08:02 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(23-05-2016 01:08 AM)toantranhhs Wrote:  I am an atheist. I love playing guitar (acoustic) and I love the musical characteristic of country music. It is easy to play, to sing, to enjoy although not many people think the same way I do. The only thing I don't like is the parts with Gods and Jesus in some songs. Some songs are really catchy and fun to play and sing along but I cannot force myself to sing something like "God made me this" or "God gave me that". I hate when I find a song with a really good melody just to figure out they ruined it by putting God in it.

I am an atheist yet I love listening to the genre of music that has the highes religious verbals rate just after religious praising music in churches. I cannot help it because I don't enjoy musical arrangements, rhythms, melodies, instruments,... of other genres that much. Can someone please help me?

I like certain songs that use the words "god" or "Jesus" in the lyrics. I think they're catchy and I like singing along to them, so I just replace the words that I don't like with derogatory terms and sing it with same sincerity that I would if I was singing it as though I was a bible believing Christian. At least it makes me giggle.

It also makes people look at me strangely if I'm doing this in the car with the window down. -Which I try not to do. Some of these crazy religious nuts carry guns in their cars.

"replace the words.....with derogatory terms..."

Oh that's rich. Laugh out load I'd love to hear some of them.Tongue

Personally I hate country music so I don't have this problem.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post