Atheist and dating

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
27-04-2010, 09:00 AM
Atheist and dating
There are a lot of people out there that want nothing to do with atheist never the less date one. Also, a lot of parents don't want their kids to date atheist. What do you all do when it comes to dating? Simply find another athiest?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-04-2010, 09:16 AM

RE: Atheist and dating
Unless you're encountering the most difficult of religious individuals, i.e. those that will not even think of speaking with those outside of their faith, then dating someone who is religious tends not to be a problem; as a whole.

Obviously you 'will' encounter difficulties at one point or another, I mean, just check out that other thread for some later marriage difficulties and such.

Otherwise, It really is dependent upon both of your positions on the matter. In all seriousness, unless specifically asked, the matter of religion often doesn't come up in day to day interactions; outside of unique settings and instances. And encountering parents who refuse to allow their child to date an atheist, based upon religious principles, would be rather uncommon I should hope.

What do I personally do when it comes to dating? At the moment, I am not interested in an interpersonal relationship, I am simply not looking for such a thing at this time. On the other hand, when I am searching, I do not limit my search criteria based upon whether or not they are atheistic in outlook; although due to my own nature, it certainly would makes things simpler later on, especially if my partner pressed for religious service attendance.
Quote this message in a reply
27-04-2010, 09:26 AM
You make really good points. That if someone is that center minded as to the point to where they would not associate with a non chrisitan then there is no point in dating them any way. I also agree with everything else you mentioned such as the fact that as society become more secular more parents don't really mind their kids dating atheist
27-04-2010, 09:37 AM

As it stands, the youth of today, in first world modern countries, are becoming more and more non religious as a whole, with each generation. So, logically it isn't unlikely to encounter an atheist more commonly, while in search of a potential mate in the first place.

I suppose it has a lot to do with what is important to the both of you, and your personalities. I have seen relationships where the two have decided to never talk, or argue, about the subject of religion; and then I have seen relationships where the two have decided to debate the topic as often as possible; and both appear to 'work'.
27-04-2010, 11:28 AM
I found the perfect woman... she was even atheist, so we wouldn't argue about religion... but she went to a different college.

Sad

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
27-04-2010, 11:35 AM
My girlfriend's family is rather religious, more so her grandparents than her parents. They believe but they don't go to church to talk about it really, which I can respect because I'm certain they already know of my faith... Or lack thereof.

She's agnostic at the moment though, she says she WANTS to believe but she just can't, she has this sort of internal struggle about her. So I do my best not to push.

The only difficulty I've encountered was trying to stifle a laugh when her grandpa proposed saying grace at a family dinner. I just hung my head and tried no to laugh while everyone else prayed...

27-04-2010, 01:07 PM

Ugh...yes 'grace' has always been a favorite of mine. I just make up stories while that's going on to be honest.
27-04-2010, 04:52 PM
never had that problem....from the simple fact- religious people don't live next to me, don't attend my school and obviously won't attend the protests I attend. I have no chance to meet a religious person in Israel, unless I really really really try to (and lets face it-I won't try to...). The one time I dated a religious person was with a conservative, and they are really open religious community (for example- you can find conservative rabbis who do marriage ceremonies to gay couples...), in the end I was the only one who was worried about how the religion thing will affect our relationship (and it didn't).
In the other hand, my last boyfriend is an atheist too, and we discussed this issue until we got bored because we think alike referring to the religion subject.

Maybe in Israel it's less of a problem because secular and religious people don't get in touch at least until the army (and in the army the religious guys and girls who draft, though they don't have to, don't won't to serve side by side with the other sex. and the army, of course, do the best it can to please them....)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-04-2010, 05:09 PM

"I have no chance to meet a religious person in Israel."

I would almost think this to be a contradiction. Care to elaborate, as I'm fairly interested.
28-04-2010, 06:52 AM
why contradiction? check the facts- most of the Jewish people in Israel (Jewish are currently about 80% of the total population of Israel) are secular.

anyway- I didn't meant to the quantity of religious people in Israel, I meant to the style of life they have- so I, as a secular person, can't meet them unless I try too.
religious people attend religious kindergarten and schools, secular people attend secular kindergartens and schools. so the first 18 years of our life we see religious people through media or passing in the street (and that isn't sure too).
then the military service comes. because of "modesty" issues the religious guys don't serve with girls (if they serve at all), and the same is for religious girls with boys. so I, as a women, won't meet a religious guy in the army. so another 2-3 years of not meeting with religious people.
And we will end with the residence- the religious people mostly live in religious neighborhoods (like Mea Shearim in Jerusalem) or cities (like Bney Brack).

the religious people in Israel try to avoid as much as possible to meet with secular people, because they think we are bad example (and I say that with understatement...) for their kids.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user