Atheist and dating

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
28-04-2010, 07:09 AM

RE: Atheist and dating
Ah, I understand now, thank you for clearing that up; I appreciate it.
Quote this message in a reply
28-04-2010, 06:00 PM
Religion doesn't come up often, it usually isn't a problem. An interesting side note about my friend however. She is an atheist, like me, and was one even before I meet her several years ago. However, she was raised in a religious house hold, and she has never told her parents that she is an atheist. I did mention it though, and they don't like that. Her parents are concerned that I"m a bad influence on their poor little pure Christian daughter, with my satanic ways and all. Not that she really listens to them.

I'm never invited over to dinner.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-04-2010, 06:05 PM

Lol ^_^

That has to be one of my favorite objections to atheism. "They worship the devil!"
28-04-2010, 07:39 PM

Greetings. This is my first post here, and I'm intrigued to become a part of exchanging ideas, as I find it hard to do anywhere else outside of my friendbase without ignorant ridicule - which in itself is pretty sad. So, I hope I can find this to be another avenue I can voice a set of my ideas and ideals without being persecuted for them.

In regards to this topic: I don't think it's impossible to find a partner that is of an opposing religion, or non-religion and date or even marry them. I've known a few people who have managed to do so, and in some circumstances it has meant for them to break with their congregation to do so. I had a couple dear friends, a gal who (at the time) was a non-practicing Catholic, and another who was a somewhat practicing Jehovah's Witness. They clicked incredibly well, but the one thing that presented problems in their relationship was that the boyfriends church he belonged was against him dating a Catholic, and he actually ended up breaking up with her because they forced him to. I think that's a problem that you find in particular congregations you're a part of, those who are religious that is - and not so much a universal paradox within separate religious sects. But it was pretty heartbreaking to know that this friend of mine got broken up with her boyfriend because of his church. I think in the end he pretty much told his church to go screw off, and continued to date her again, and they ended up marrying. From my knowledge no problems have come of their religious differences, but I wouldn't doubt if there was a lot of turmoil for this kid with his own family, from disobeying his congregation to be with her.

As for me, I was fortunate enough to marry a girl who was a free thinker - albeit not yet an atheist (though when we originally started dating, neither was I), so by the time I jumped the faith ship to board the logic train - she wasn't too far behind me. I think in comparison - it's better, because it will make your relationship healthier. The more similar ideals, values, and things you just have in common as a whole is going to provide for a much longer enduring relationship.
28-04-2010, 08:09 PM

Welcome Dustin, and thank you for the very articulate and beneficial contribution to the forum. Feel free to start a new thread and post whatever it is that you'd like, or contribute to preexisting threads and take it from there. I'm sure someone (undoubtedly me) will respond shortly.
29-04-2010, 11:08 AM

Ceryle, thanks! Looking forward to posting around!

Ashley.hunt, I know how you feel with that - to an extent. While all of my actual Christian friends have been pretty supportive of my renounced faith a few years ago, only a couple of which I actually know their parents personally as well, and know their parents to be adamant Christians, and they still think I'm one as well - because I would most likely be demonized if I told their parents of my non-religious switch. As surprising of the support I get from people, it's still pretty typical for me to run into people I don't know who have something nasty to say.
29-04-2010, 11:51 AM

Hmmm... interesting. Firstly this is my first post also. I never really thought about this issue because in general the fact that I'm an atheist rarely comes up. I'm pretty low key and I respect my Christian friends and in fact read a good bit about religions as I find them interesting from a curiosity stand point. I was a Catholic (rarely ever missed mass) for 21 years of my life. I feel no need to mock Christians nor to try to pesuade them to my way of thinking. When relatives or friends wish to pray (i.e. grace) I simply think quietly to myself for a moment. If I'm asked to pray for someone I simply say your in my thoughts, and if I'm prayed for I say thank you. Ok now onto relationships. My wife is a believer so to speak. She doesn't attend church or belong to an organized religion, but she thinks there's a God, and Heaven. She knows I don't and there is no need for us to dicuss it any further. I could certainly see issues arising if a SO was a member of some organised religion and one was pressured to join, but in this day and age there are planty of believers of my wifes ilk to meet. It wouldn't even be that devastating if my kids were brought up to be believers as I would simply be there to share my ideas with them when they were ready, and they would choose their path. As a closing statement I'm actually getting more involved with other atheists i.e. this site, also more as a curiosity as I've not really ever felt the need to have other validate my beliefs. That of course is not meant to offend anyone its simply to let you know where I'm coming from. I'm generally a very curious person which is most likely why I'm a scientist.
29-04-2010, 11:57 AM

Hi Dregs, does your alias come the TES universe? Nice to meet you, and I'm looking forward to more of your posts. ^_^
29-04-2010, 12:04 PM

(29-04-2010 11:57 AM)Ceryle Wrote:  Hi Dregs, does your alias come the TES universe? Nice to meet you, and I'm looking forward to more of your posts. ^_^

No actually its based on a musical group that I'm really into The Dixie Dregs. I've used it for quite some time in various forums, mostly music related, but I've become attached to it LOL.
29-04-2010, 12:16 PM

Not to say I have really any experience with dating and all that, but I think it would be an issue with me if my boyfriend or husband was religious. It bothers me too much. I have grown very, very tired of having certain topics that must be avoided to prevent an arguement. Even if it is simply a degree of paranoia, I am often quite irritated with even having truly religious friends as I always feel that certain sense of patronization coming from them.
For instance, the best and only loyal friend I have had (for something near ten years now) is religious, but also autistic. He is basically a genius, while I am...nowhere near that. So it is incredibly frustrating knowing that he will always believe he simply knows more than I ever will, and he understands more about history than anyone. It confounds me that a mind so brilliant refuses to even consider that the Christian faith might not be true. Of course, I am sure that is only due to his mental illness, as he always needs something to cling to. He gets very, very upset if any of this is ever mentioned, so I definitely try and stay away from the topic.
I just know that I could not have an actual relationship with someone and consider spending the rest of my life with them if they clung to their beliefs like that, because I would be in a constant state of frustration whenever they tried to run to it for comfort, or whatever else they "need" it for. I try my absolute best to remain respectful (and I certainly would not reject having friendships with religious people) but even the little mentions make me rather irritated and it would just be too hard to bottle up my frustrations on the subject for the rest of my life.