Atheist and dating

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
30-04-2010, 10:31 AM
RE: Atheist and dating
Welcome to you, too, Zingaman!

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2010, 05:18 AM

Well, With my point of view, Religion is so important to many people's lives that they can't imagine not sharing it with others, thus preventing them from dating people outside their religion - or with no religion at all.
Quote this message in a reply
12-05-2010, 02:37 AM

Often a teenager does exactly the OPPOSITE of what their parents want.

In fact kids with strict parents are just waiting to jump out and defy their parents, which plays very well for us Atheists who are willing to help them out Wink
21-07-2010, 12:41 PM

At the beginning of our relationship my husband was a non-believer while I was initially a lapsed Catholic. His family was Methodist and his father a pillar of the church so I assumed at first he was a very moderate non-practicing Christian. He was pretty tolerant of the children's baptisms and one first communion, knowing that I was basically going along to keep the peace with my parents. I wasn't so accepting of his lack of faith after a lifelong indoctrination -- surely you have to believe in SOME creator I thought.

Now I'm atheist. And our marriage is breaking up. As I live in a heavily fundamentalist Christian area with only one atheist friend nearby, it's unlikely I'll ever meet any like-minded singles. Knowing the work it took to come to this position of non-belief, I couldn't consider seriously dating anyone who believed in any religion. At this point in my life I don't want or need any more conflict and I would (arrogantly, I know) consider them intellectually inferior.
21-07-2010, 05:03 PM

When I started dating my GF a couple years ago I didn't really know just how church-going she was (3-4 times a week!), or how incredibly disconnected her parents were from reality.

But I've got to say, it was amazingly easy to enlighten or ( corrupt if you prefer (:< ) her away from that.

It still causes problems with her parents though, which I made a genuine effort to be polite to, and but they are basically loony. I just ignore them now <shrug>.

If I started dating again I'm not sure if I would go along in an attempt to convert (oh the irony of that word), I would probably be pretty up front about my atheism and expect at least a skeptic.
22-07-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:And our marriage is breaking up. As I live in a heavily fundamentalist Christian area with only one atheist friend nearby, it's unlikely I'll ever meet any like-minded singles.

Keep your chin up! I was divorced in 2007 and I felt the same way, living in a very conservative suburb of a major city. I was surprised that I have met a number of datable women who ranged from complete rationalists to those who were basically just apathetic (and I would have pegged them all as religious types). Just be open & honest in your conversations and you'll be surprised how many people out there aren't brainwashed.
22-07-2010, 09:18 PM

Look at your own convictions first. If your atheism is so strong then you have painted yourself into a corner, but it is a proud and important corner.
That corner was painted into by the found fathers, the abolishionsts, the civil rights activists, the gay rights activists. Don't compromise your personal integrity! The hunt will be more difficult but the reward will be far greater. Shiranl is right perception and truth about who is out ther is very very different. Try this experiment: go on match.com, type in some criteria, except don't type in a religion, over 90% say spiritual but not religious!!!!!! 90%
30-07-2010, 11:50 PM

Hi friends,
My friends family is quite religious, especially since his grandparents to his parents. They believe, but do not go to church to speak truth, my respect because I am sure you know about my faith.
31-07-2010, 07:00 AM

My first wife promised me when we first met that my non-belief would not be a problem. It became a problem as soon as we got married (In a church!) her parents were religious and it just went downhill from there and it ended in about 2 years. I absolutely love my current wife and we have been married over 10 years now. We are both atheists and it is great!
31-07-2010, 01:28 PM

i've never had a problem finding like minded people with in the dating pool. most guys don't label themselves and either loath or have parted their way from the religion they were brought up in.