Atheist and religious?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-06-2015, 01:14 PM
Atheist and religious?
(08-06-2015 10:12 PM)RogueWarrior Wrote:  
(08-06-2015 09:14 PM)enochian Wrote:  So one can be an atheist and follow Dzogchen?

Yes.
I am not really familiar with it but in the short amount of reading it doesn't seem to require belief in a god. It requires a belief of the supernatural.
Am I wrong?

Religious theists, for some reason, can't separate the idea that religion and theism are 2 different things.
Being religious doesn't necessarily mean you believe in a god.

Atheists can believe in ghosts, leprechauns, reincarnation or any other supernatural phenomena. They just don't believe in a very specific type of supernatural phenomena namely supernatural gods.

However, the same thought processes that lead to atheism tend to lead away from supernatural explanations as well.

So in addition to not believing in gods, I don't believe in supernatural things either. And for the same reason: there is no demonstrable, falsifiable evidence.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid795290

(09-05-2015 09:53 PM)RogueWarrior Wrote:  Another idiot conflating religion and theism/atheism.
These are not mutually exclusive concepts!
Theism/atheism are independent of religiosity.

You can be a religious atheist, ffs. or an irreligious theist.

A rape is personally meaningful too. Being meaningful is no guaranty of being good.

Religions endure because the new adherents are indoctrinated from birth.
If a person was raised secular and then asked at age 18 which religion....

Education has always been the enemy of faith.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid779408

Hello, fine folks of TTA!

I came across these two quotes by RogueWarrior the other day, and noticed that nobody really engaged him about it in the thread. So I wondered whether other Atheists agree that you can be religious and Atheist at the same time?

I assume being religious is the same as having a religion?

I haven't really come across the idea that Atheists can believe in supernatural phenomena such as “ghosts, leprechauns, reincarnation” before...

Looking forward to hear from y'all Smile

~Gaest
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-06-2015, 02:48 PM
RE: Atheist and religious?
Well religiosity for atheist may have something to do with buddishm I think, or so I heard. But for me religious atheist is rather strange concept as I don't care for eastern religion/philosophies.

As for supernatural atheism is lack of belief in god(s) so it's not about leprechauns. However I've never met atheist who believed in ghosts or reincarnation. I would say that atheist probably would not believe in ghosts for example but if he did he is still atheist as ghost is not the same as god.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
29-06-2015, 03:22 PM
(29-06-2015 01:14 PM)Gaest Wrote:  I came across these two quotes by RogueWarrior the other day, and noticed that nobody really engaged him about it in the thread. So I wondered whether other Atheists agree that you can be religious and Atheist at the same time?

Of course. I know a number of Jews who are atheists.

#sigh
29-06-2015, 03:47 PM
As long as gods aren't involved, an atheist is free to believe all kinds of crazy shit.

I don't think they would, but they can.

If I want to believe leprechauns in the back yard are secretly planning to invade the vegetable garden, I can. It would be nutty, but my atheism isn't involved.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
29-06-2015, 03:49 PM
(29-06-2015 02:48 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  As for supernatural atheism is lack of belief in god(s) so it's not about leprechauns. However I've never met atheist who believed in ghosts or reincarnation. I would say that atheist probably would not believe in ghosts for example but if he did he is still atheist as ghost is not the same as god.

Hmm... So if I believe in and venerate my ancestors or give food offerings to a fairy and expect some kind og supernatural connection/communication I can still be an Atheist?

(29-06-2015 03:22 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(29-06-2015 01:14 PM)Gaest Wrote:  I came across these two quotes by RogueWarrior the other day, and noticed that nobody really engaged him about it in the thread. So I wondered whether other Atheists agree that you can be religious and Atheist at the same time?

Of course. I know a number of Jews who are atheists.

Like ethnic Jews, or actually practicing, religious Jews?
29-06-2015, 03:54 PM
You can be enjoy the religious traditions and not believe in a God. It will be very rare for you to find an atheist who believes in supernatural as generally critical thinking leads you to atheism. To be a good critical thinker, you base your beliefs on evidence, since there hasn't been evidence of supernatural, most atheists will not subscribe to that nonsense.

Remember, just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it true. Yes, even if you have faith.
[+] 1 user Likes microterf's post
29-06-2015, 03:55 PM
I met a person at an atheist meetup that believes there is some nebulous source of talent and ability in the universe. As I understood it, we are born with a connection to this "source" and can draw on it. Our purpose is to develop those talents (in any form we like - music, art, theater, whatever) so that when we die we can release back more than we took.

There was no god involved and this "source" has no agency so the individual was technically an atheist. Needless to say, nobody else there was buying any of it.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
29-06-2015, 03:56 PM
(29-06-2015 03:49 PM)Gaest Wrote:  Hmm... So if I believe in and venerate my ancestors or give food offerings to a fairy and expect some kind og supernatural connection/communication I can still be an Atheist?

If you define atheism as lack of belief in god(s) then probably you could still be atheist as ancestors and fairies aren't gods, but for me such behaviour smells of being some kind of theist.

Or you still would be atheist just irrational one as there is no evidence of fairies or spirits existing.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
29-06-2015, 03:58 PM
(29-06-2015 03:49 PM)Gaest Wrote:  
(29-06-2015 03:22 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Of course. I know a number of Jews who are atheists.

Like ethnic Jews, or actually practicing, religious Jews?

They certainly appear to be practicing. They observe all the religious holidays and practices like wearing a yarmulka and sporting an awesome beard since they're not allowed to shave. Their culture means more to them than some God is what I figure.

#sigh
29-06-2015, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the interesting answers Smile

How do you guys define religion then - for god(s) not to be a necessary part?