Atheist and religious?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-06-2015, 05:08 PM
RE: Atheist and religious?
(29-06-2015 05:02 PM)Gaest Wrote:  How do you guys define religion then - for god(s) not to be a necessary part?

Reach out and touch faith. Tongue

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-06-2015, 05:33 PM
(29-06-2015 01:14 PM)Gaest Wrote:  I came across these two quotes by RogueWarrior the other day, and noticed that nobody really engaged him about it in the thread.

No engagement necessary. I'm dang religious about my Gwynnies, that's for sure! Heart

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
29-06-2015, 05:42 PM
(29-06-2015 05:02 PM)Gaest Wrote:  Thanks for the interesting answers Smile

How do you guys define religion then - for god(s) not to be a necessary part?

They're "cultural Jews". They're not ''religious" Jews.

There's your answer.

Lots of Catholic moms and dads don't really buy into anything. But they "baptize" junior cuz it's a cultural tradition.
Hell 1/2 of Lutherans can't say who Martin Luther was, 1/2 Catholics don't know what "transubstantiation" means.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
29-06-2015, 08:14 PM
(29-06-2015 05:42 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(29-06-2015 05:02 PM)Gaest Wrote:  Thanks for the interesting answers Smile

How do you guys define religion then - for god(s) not to be a necessary part?

They're "cultural Jews". They're not ''religious" Jews.

There's your answer.

Lots of Catholic moms and dads don't really buy into anything. But they "baptize" junior cuz it's a cultural tradition.
Hell 1/2 of Lutherans can't say who Martin Luther was, 1/2 Catholics don't know what "transubstantiation" means.
Hah! yeah, I was raised catholic, went to Sunday school and just a few years ago I learned about transubstantiation. I had no idea that the Eucharist wasn't supposed to be symbolic as I thought at the time. I told my parents about it, they were like, "what? I didn't know that." They're pretty much non-practicing Catholics.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
29-06-2015, 08:19 PM
You are asking others here what a certain individual meant. Would it not have been easier to PM the original poster and simply ask? Or take it up on the thread in question?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
30-06-2015, 12:00 AM

HAVE NO FEAR, HIM IS HERE (Captain Chaos is my middle name)

DA DA DA DAAAAAH!

http://atheism.about.com/od/aboutatheism...Basics.htm

I love questions! Ask away.
[+] 2 users Like RogueWarrior's post
30-06-2015, 01:12 AM (This post was last modified: 30-06-2015 01:53 AM by Reltzik.)
(29-06-2015 01:14 PM)Gaest Wrote:  
(08-06-2015 10:12 PM)RogueWarrior Wrote:  Yes.
I am not really familiar with it but in the short amount of reading it doesn't seem to require belief in a god. It requires a belief of the supernatural.
Am I wrong?

Religious theists, for some reason, can't separate the idea that religion and theism are 2 different things.
Being religious doesn't necessarily mean you believe in a god.

Atheists can believe in ghosts, leprechauns, reincarnation or any other supernatural phenomena. They just don't believe in a very specific type of supernatural phenomena namely supernatural gods.

However, the same thought processes that lead to atheism tend to lead away from supernatural explanations as well.

So in addition to not believing in gods, I don't believe in supernatural things either. And for the same reason: there is no demonstrable, falsifiable evidence.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid795290

(09-05-2015 09:53 PM)RogueWarrior Wrote:  Another idiot conflating religion and theism/atheism.
These are not mutually exclusive concepts!
Theism/atheism are independent of religiosity.

You can be a religious atheist, ffs. or an irreligious theist.

A rape is personally meaningful too. Being meaningful is no guaranty of being good.

Religions endure because the new adherents are indoctrinated from birth.
If a person was raised secular and then asked at age 18 which religion....

Education has always been the enemy of faith.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid779408

Hello, fine folks of TTA!

I came across these two quotes by RogueWarrior the other day, and noticed that nobody really engaged him about it in the thread. So I wondered whether other Atheists agree that you can be religious and Atheist at the same time?

I assume being religious is the same as having a religion?

I haven't really come across the idea that Atheists can believe in supernatural phenomena such as “ghosts, leprechauns, reincarnation” before...

Looking forward to hear from y'all Smile

~Gaest

Being religious requires having a religion, but also means devoting oneself pretty heavily to the beliefs, rituals, organization, side-events, prescribed activities, etc. Someone who is heavily religious in a Christian sense might attend church twice a week and pray three times per day, for example. Meanwhile a not-religious Christian might stay home most Sundays watching TV and drinking beer in his boxers and bathrobe.

Being an atheist requires (depending on definition) believing that no god exists, or not believing that any god exists. This is not really compatible with Christianity, but is compatible with some other religions. Examples off the top of my head: Buddhism, Unitarian Universalism, and Dudeism. A highly religious Buddhist, for example, might spend two hours per day meditating. A highly religious Unitarian-Universalist might get involved with a bunch of the side-groups and service projects in the congregation, filling up most of the week's schedule. And a highly religious Dudeist might stay home most Sundays watching TV and drinking beer in his boxers and bathrobe.
[+] 3 users Like Reltzik's post
30-06-2015, 02:39 PM
(30-06-2015 01:12 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  Being an atheist requires (depending on definition) believing that no god exists, or not believing that any god exists. This is not really compatible with Christianity, but is compatible with some other religions.

There are Christian atheists.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
30-06-2015, 04:31 PM
(30-06-2015 02:39 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(30-06-2015 01:12 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  Being an atheist requires (depending on definition) believing that no god exists, or not believing that any god exists. This is not really compatible with Christianity, but is compatible with some other religions.

Correction accepted (subject to lots of bickering amongst Christians about what the definition of a Christian is). It's just hard to remember they exist.

As I recall saying on the subject in another thread, being a follower of Jesus while not believing in God requires you to ignore all the stuff that Jesus said about God existing. But that's not a problem, to judge by all the other stuff Jesus said that gets ignored.
30-06-2015, 04:40 PM
(30-06-2015 02:39 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

Interesting, their stance on Christianity seems to be very similar to those of most Buddhist sect. Considering the characteristic of their faith, it could be considered more like a philosophy than a religion because of their absence of rituals. I guess that's another debate though. Thanks for the link.