Atheist and religious?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-06-2015, 04:46 PM
RE: Atheist and religious?
(30-06-2015 04:40 PM)epronovost Wrote:  
(30-06-2015 02:39 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  There are Christian atheists.

Interesting, their stance on Christianity seems to be very similar to those of most Buddhist sect.

It does seem like they view Jesus much like a Buddhist views a bodhisattva.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2015, 06:09 AM
(30-06-2015 04:46 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(30-06-2015 04:40 PM)epronovost Wrote:  Interesting, their stance on Christianity seems to be very similar to those of most Buddhist sect.

It does seem like they view Jesus much like a Buddhist views a bodhisattva.

It's a stupid, confused appellation.

Wikipedia Wrote:Most Christian atheists believe that God never existed, but there are a few who believe in the death of God literally.

The death of God literally? Really? That's atheism?

Wikipedia Wrote:Recognition of the centrality of the person of Jesus in theological reflection.

Theological reflection? Really?

These are sadly confused people.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-07-2015, 04:04 PM
(29-06-2015 08:19 PM)Banjo Wrote:  You are asking others here what a certain individual meant. Would it not have been easier to PM the original poster and simply ask? Or take it up on the thread in question?

Donno if that is how it came across (?), but my intention was to ask others if they agreed with that position.

(30-06-2015 12:00 AM)RogueWarrior Wrote:  HAVE NO FEAR, HIM IS HERE (Captain Chaos is my middle name)

DA DA DA DAAAAAH!

http://atheism.about.com/od/aboutatheism...Basics.htm

I love questions! Ask away.

Cheers dude! Great link. It cleared up a lot (: I might return with questions later on.

(30-06-2015 01:12 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  Being religious requires having a religion, but also means devoting oneself pretty heavily to the beliefs, rituals, organization, side-events, prescribed activities, etc. Someone who is heavily religious in a Christian sense might attend church twice a week and pray three times per day, for example. Meanwhile a not-religious Christian might stay home most Sundays watching TV and drinking beer in his boxers and bathrobe.

Being an atheist requires (depending on definition) believing that no god exists, or not believing that any god exists. This is not really compatible with Christianity, but is compatible with some other religions. Examples off the top of my head: Buddhism, Unitarian Universalism, and Dudeism. A highly religious Buddhist, for example, might spend two hours per day meditating. A highly religious Unitarian-Universalist might get involved with a bunch of the side-groups and service projects in the congregation, filling up most of the week's schedule. And a highly religious Dudeist might stay home most Sundays watching TV and drinking beer in his boxers and bathrobe.

Very interesting post. I like the distinction between Christianity (and Islam and possibly Judaism?) and religions were the belief in a god is not as important.

(30-06-2015 04:31 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  

Correction accepted (subject to lots of bickering amongst Christians about what the definition of a Christian is). It's just hard to remember they exist.

As I recall saying on the subject in another thread, being a follower of Jesus while not believing in God requires you to ignore all the stuff that Jesus said about God existing. But that's not a problem, to judge by all the other stuff Jesus said that gets ignored.

(30-06-2015 04:40 PM)epronovost Wrote:  

Interesting, their stance on Christianity seems to be very similar to those of most Buddhist sect. Considering the characteristic of their faith, it could be considered more like a philosophy than a religion because of their absence of rituals. I guess that's another debate though. Thanks for the link.

Fair point. Since the thread is not that active it might be worth taking up... It seems like they are split between those who think God doesn't exist and those who think he existed but is now dead, as well as a divide between those who see Jesus as having been divine in some way, and those who do not find him divine at all.
This might actually be a pretty serious split, at lest as I see it. For something to be classified as a religion it has to have a supernatural element to it. Same goes for someone to be called religious: Their actions and/or believes have to refer to/be connected to something that's claimed to be supernatural... IMO.
03-07-2015, 04:08 PM
(03-07-2015 04:04 PM)Gaest Wrote:  For something to be classified as a religion it has to have a supernatural element to it.

Why? Who says?

#sigh
03-07-2015, 05:20 PM
(03-07-2015 04:08 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(03-07-2015 04:04 PM)Gaest Wrote:  For something to be classified as a religion it has to have a supernatural element to it.

Why? Who says?

Well... I guess I do. I don't really see how a definition is usefull in terms of distinguishing religion from fx. some ideologies without including some kind of supernatural factor that sets religion apart.

Or what do you think?
03-07-2015, 06:50 PM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2015 06:53 PM by GirlyMan.)
(03-07-2015 05:20 PM)Gaest Wrote:  
(03-07-2015 04:08 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Why? Who says?

Well... I guess I do. I don't really see how a definition is usefull in terms of distinguishing religion from fx. some ideologies without including some kind of supernatural factor that sets religion apart.

Or what do you think?

I think there are religious naturalists who deny anything supernatural.

#sigh
03-07-2015, 06:54 PM

Or what do you think?

The Unitarian-Universalists disagree. That's a religion without a specific belief in the supernatural. (Some individuals believe in the supernatural, but it's not universal and not required.)

I'd say that religion is best defined in a sociological sense. Whatever organization occupies that position in a society, that's a religion. Maybe? I'm having trouble pinning down the definition too.

... of course, I don't know what "God" means either, so I'm probably not the best person to ask.
04-07-2015, 01:46 AM

Or what do you think?

I think religion could be called such without supernatural factor - it could be doctrine that explain how world works in complete and convincing way and also tell what is a man place in scheme of things; it's done by using myth. It's a part of definition used in book Faith of the Soviet Man by RafaƂ Imos to describe marxism-leninism as religion (according to author it is gnostic, dualistic and universalist religion).

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
04-07-2015, 08:42 AM
(29-06-2015 05:02 PM)Gaest Wrote:  Thanks for the interesting answers Smile

How do you guys define religion then - for god(s) not to be a necessary part?

A religion (for gods) as I would define it is a practice or tradition to appease a deity.

Example.
Roman Catholics have Palm Sunday. Palm Sunday you go to church and collect palms that have been "blessed". You hold on to these palms for a year to dry out. When Lent starts, you turn in your Dried palms they burn them turning them into Ash. On Ash Wednesdays the burned ash is placed on the far head by a priest, you says Repent and belive in the Gospel. You are suppose to not wash off the ash for about 46 days. (I'd always make maybe a day.) and during that time your not allowed to eat meat. Fish is ok. (or unless you forget) then once Easter starts you can eat meat again.
Why? Well according to my Mother it was because they don't allow child sacrifice anymore. (I know she was messing with me.) But we're suppose to act like the days before Jesus died, fast like he fasted. Because GOD requires sacrifices.

Faith may be his dinner, but Suffering is his dessert.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin