RE: Atheist because...
bacon
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes UndercoverAtheist's post
09-05-2014, 05:20 PM
...it's the only real option.

"While religions tell us next to nothing useful or true about the universe, they do tell us an enormous amount - perhaps an embarrassing amount - about ourselves, about what we value, fear and lust after." Iain M Banks
09-05-2014, 06:48 PM
(09-05-2014 11:21 AM)RogueWarrior Wrote:  Before answering the OP:
There are a lot of people (you should know who you are) here using arguments from ignorance to justify their non-belief. I thought you guys are 'thinking atheists'?
You don't have to justify non-belief. Non-belief is a null position. It just is.

Because the evidence presented previously in my life has been proven to be either wrong or unreliable w.r.t. god(s).

Because I prefer to believe as many true things as possible and not believe as many false things as possible.

Who?

How is the rejection of concepts lacking evidence an "argument from ignorance"? Doesn't this seem like an ironic statement to you?

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 1 user Likes rampant.a.i.'s post
10-05-2014, 02:55 AM
Atheist because I don't like to fool myself to satisfy some emotional need.
10-05-2014, 04:29 AM
It's difficult for me to believe in deities. The Naturalist explanation is more satisfying.

The reason (I think) is mostly biological, but also down to the fact that there is no evidence.
10-05-2014, 04:57 AM
It's just that plain and simple.

I'm an atheist because there is absolutely no reason to be anything other than that.

I'm an atheist because 'because' just ain't good enough of a reason to be anything beyond that.

......seemingly Jesus just hasn't bothered to pay me a visit. And even if he ever did, he'd have a hell of a lot of explaining to do.

Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?
[+] 1 user Likes John's post
11-05-2014, 06:51 AM
I'm an atheist because I've seen no evidence to support a deity, much less one who cares about me personally.

My Catholic family prays to St. Anthony when they lose something, hoping that he'll come down from the clouds to help unearth their car keys from between couch cushions and stuff. Historically, when they found something, they'd try to point out St. Anthony's help in the process. As if a deity would let a child starve while dedicating resources to helping an old Polish lady find the Comcast remote.

"The truth must dazzle gradually / or every man be blind." Emily Dickinson
[+] 1 user Likes Virgo Supercluster's post
11-05-2014, 07:03 AM
Mainly because I was fortunate to be brought up by parents that didn't give a fuck about religion but did care about their children.

Using Tapatalk
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes TubbyTubby's post
11-05-2014, 10:36 AM
Playing make believe was fun but had no basis in reality for me, and I knew it.

Religion was just an extension of make believe.

Its great to have an imagination, not so much, a delusion.

Plus my mechanical mind and nature just couldnt accept any religious crap as facts. It just doesnt work.

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
11-05-2014, 10:40 AM
(11-05-2014 06:51 AM)Virgo Supercluster Wrote:  I'm an atheist because I've seen no evidence to support a deity, much less one who cares about me personally.

My Catholic family prays to St. Anthony when they lose something, hoping that he'll come down from the clouds to help unearth their car keys from between couch cushions and stuff. Historically, when they found something, they'd try to point out St. Anthony's help in the process. As if a deity would let a child starve while dedicating resources to helping an old Polish lady find the Comcast remote.

Bowing

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF