Atheist book suggestions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-06-2018, 04:41 PM
Atheist book suggestions
Hi, I was wondering if any of you have any good suggestions for atheist books. But I have another criterea. It has to be a book that doesn't directly say it's an atheist book (for example "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins) it has to be a book like The Ancestors Tale by Richard dawkins, due to being still in a religious home, but not too religious enough to care is the book is about evolution for example (they are Catholic).

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”
― Christopher Hitchens
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-06-2018, 05:12 PM
RE: Atheist book suggestions
Carl Sagan - Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

It is more of a handbook on critical thinking. It can be applied to woo, as well as god claims.

Daniel Dennett - Breaking the Spell: Religion as Natural Phenomena
[+] 2 users Like Simon Moon's post
12-06-2018, 05:21 PM
This one is pretty good.

#sigh
12-06-2018, 05:26 PM
I always recommend The Age of Reason by Thomas Payne. He was actually arguing for deism, rather than atheism, but it's still a very solid take-down of the Christian religion and holy text. Another fun read is Some Mistakes of Moses by Robert Ingersoll, if you can tolerate some misogynistic and homophobic attitudes from over a century ago.

I am an antipistevist. That's like an antipastovist, only with epistemic responsibility instead of bruschetta.
12-06-2018, 06:38 PM
If you're looking for non-fiction then the suggestions above are great. But If you want some good fiction with an atheist protagonist, I liked The Lost Book of the Grail, by Charlie Lovett.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams

"You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." Robin Williams
12-06-2018, 07:42 PM
You haven't really described what you want such a book for, but if the purpose is to teach critical thinking, then definitely Mistakes Were Made But Not By Me. It's all about confirmation bias, the biggest impediment to self-reflection and critical thought.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
12-06-2018, 08:46 PM
(12-06-2018 07:42 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  You haven't really described what you want such a book for, but if the purpose is to teach critical thinking, then definitely Mistakes Were Made But Not By Me. It's all about confirmation bias, the biggest impediment to self-reflection and critical thought.

Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Excellent suggestion.

No gods necessary.
[+] 1 user Likes brunumb's post
13-06-2018, 03:22 AM
Daniel Dennett Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon don't have overly "atheistic" title.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
13-06-2018, 08:58 AM
Atheist book suggestions
Try “Doubt,” by Jennifer Michael Hecht. I also liked “The Great Agnostic: Robert Ingersoll and American Freethought,” by Susan Jacoby
13-06-2018, 09:54 AM
Maybe a terrible suggestion, but:

The Bible

Like genuinely read it, cover to cover, and make a note of how utterly absurd it is. I did this as a teen, and it just re-confirmed my thoughts on religion as a whole, and in particular Christianity.

I'm training for a 10K run, read about it in my blog :
Lost In Pace - A Running Blog
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post