Atheist buried in Catholic Procedures?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-09-2011, 02:27 PM

Atheist buried in Catholic Procedures?
I had a friend, who, like me(and most of you) was an Atheist. He wasn't very devout nor outspoken about it, because he didn't want to start trouble, which I agree with him about.

He had cancer for a very long time and in the last year of his life, the doctors were certain he would die. Because he knew his death was coming, he expressed to me and his family that he wished to be cremated when he died.

A few months ago though, he died from his long struggle of cancer, and his family(who knew he was Atheist and wanted to be cremated) buried him with a Catholic pastor blessing, in a Catholic cemetery and all that jazz.

I personally think it was wrong, terribly wrong.
What do you guys think?

Edit: I just realized I might've posted this in the wrong section. If I did, feel free to move it.
Quote this message in a reply
30-09-2011, 03:06 PM
RE: Atheist buried in Catholic Procedures?
(30-09-2011 02:27 PM)TheMonsterWith21Faces Wrote:  I had a friend, who, like me(and most of you) was an Atheist. He wasn't very devout nor outspoken about it, because he didn't want to start trouble, which I agree with him about.

He had cancer for a very long time and in the last year of his life, the doctors were certain he would die. Because he knew his death was coming, he expressed to me and his family that he wished to be cremated when he died.

A few months ago though, he died from his long struggle of cancer, and his family(who knew he was Atheist and wanted to be cremated) buried him with a Catholic pastor blessing, in a Catholic cemetery and all that jazz.

I personally think it was wrong, terribly wrong.
What do you guys think?

Edit: I just realized I might've posted this in the wrong section. If I did, feel free to move it.

To tell you the truth even though it's bad, I would want catholic blessing in my funeral. Not because I believe in God, it's because it part of my culture even if I reject the idea. I am still culture wise a christian(I wouldn't really, I would want to be buried under a tree)Smile

[Image: boston-terrier-gets-scared.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-09-2011, 03:32 PM
On one hand, it's very disrespectful of his memory for his family to go against his wishes, and it's a very selfish act on their part to do so. It's also an affront to the living who *would* respect his wishes. I would be extremely upset if I saw that a loved one's wishes were dismissed in favor of what the living wanted to do.

On the other hand... he is gone and unable to know how he was buried. So...who is the burial actually for? The living.

It's a difficult situation, I imagine.

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers.

- Carl Sagan
[+] 2 users Like zaika's post
30-09-2011, 03:46 PM

(30-09-2011 03:32 PM)zaika Wrote:  On one hand, it's very disrespectful of his memory for his family to go against his wishes, and it's a very selfish act on their part to do so. It's also an affront to the living who *would* respect his wishes. I would be extremely upset if I saw that a loved one's wishes were dismissed in favor of what the living wanted to do.

On the other hand... he is gone and unable to know how he was buried. So...who is the burial actually for? The living.

It's a difficult situation, I imagine.

To me, being cremated was his last wish. That's the last thing he asked anybody to do for him when he was alive, and even if he is dead, we should respect the memory of him.

But I completely agree with that he doesn't know anymore and that we bury the dead for the living.

I just think that if that's the last thing he wanted in his life, or death rather, it should be honoured.
30-09-2011, 03:55 PM
(30-09-2011 03:06 PM)tazmin98 Wrote:  (I wouldn't really, I would want to be buried under a tree)Smile

Our local authority does just that! It offers eco-burials, where the body is wrapped in just a cotton shroud and buried in forest land and the grave marked with a rock(name plate is optional) and the GPS co-ordinates are recorded.

It's a beautiful place where kangaroos and other wild life graze and live.

It's my wish that I be buried there and become part of the life forms that live there. I hope and trust that my wishes will be respected.

It seems a shame that someone's wishes aren't respected upon death, but as others have said, the person doesn't know, but it still seems like a betrayal to me.

"To think of what the world has suffered from superstition, from religion, from the worship of beast and stone and god, is
almost enough to make one insane."

Robert G. Ingersoll
30-09-2011, 05:53 PM

(30-09-2011 03:55 PM)Organon Wrote:  It seems a shame that someone's wishes aren't respected upon death, but as others have said, the person doesn't know, but it still seems like a betrayal to me.

Exactly my point, just worded better. Blush
[+] 1 user Likes TheMonsterWith21Faces's post
30-09-2011, 06:17 PM
(30-09-2011 03:55 PM)Organon Wrote:  
(30-09-2011 03:06 PM)tazmin98 Wrote:  (I wouldn't really, I would want to be buried under a tree)Smile

Our local authority does just that! It offers eco-burials, where the body is wrapped in just a cotton shroud and buried in forest land and the grave marked with a rock(name plate is optional) and the GPS co-ordinates are recorded.

It's my wish that I be buried there and become part of the life forms that live there. I hope and trust that my wishes will be respected.

It seems a shame that someone's wishes aren't respected upon death, but as others have said, the person doesn't know, but it still seems like a betrayal to me.

That would be so awesome! I might do that.

[Image: boston-terrier-gets-scared.gif]
30-09-2011, 06:47 PM
(30-09-2011 06:17 PM)tazmin98 Wrote:  

I don't know how widespread the practice is, or whether perhaps it's easy to be buried on a private property/farm/forest in most places, but it's a great idea!

"To think of what the world has suffered from superstition, from religion, from the worship of beast and stone and god, is
almost enough to make one insane."

Robert G. Ingersoll
30-09-2011, 08:44 PM
(30-09-2011 06:47 PM)Organon Wrote:  
(30-09-2011 06:17 PM)tazmin98 Wrote:  

I don't know how widespread the practice is, or whether perhaps it's easy to be buried on a private property/farm/forest in most places, but it's a great idea!

There is usually laws against that in the United States. I think the reasoning is that the dead body might seep into the ground water. Also with those burials you need to move very fast as the body is decomposing and there is no formaldehyde to keep it...fresh.

Unless the service allows the body to be keep in a fridge or freezer at a morgue type place until the burial.

[Image: 1471821-futurama_bender_s_big_score_imag...er-1-1.jpg]
01-10-2011, 02:54 AM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2011 03:00 AM by GirlyMan.)
(30-09-2011 02:27 PM)TheMonsterWith21Faces Wrote:  What do you guys think?

I think there's a valuable lesson here. Don't rely on others for your final disposition. Prearrange it yourself, contract with a mortuary explicitly stating your desires and making their fee contigent on following your instructions. If they want to get paid, they'll make sure it happens. ... Or just put in your will that everything goes to the cat in the event your instructions aren't followed.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post