Atheist buried in Catholic Procedures?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-10-2011, 04:37 AM
RE: Atheist buried in Catholic Procedures?
He is dead. He was an atheist, so death means no big deal to him, no afterlife and all that... So to him, I don't think it really made any difference about the funeral. What did make a difference is his last wish and the disrespect his family has shown to him. They should be ashamed and you as his friend are suppose to say that to them. You don't need to, of course, but I probably would if we were very good friends. So for him, this made no difference, but for the family and their respect for their late member, this made all the difference.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2011, 10:51 AM
as I understand it there is no requirement that a person be buried whole. All my granparents were creamated and had catholic buriels. so i think it has less to do with religion and more the family are just plain dicks.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
02-10-2011, 11:49 AM
I agree with most other people. While it was selfish and disrespectful of the family he won't actually know about it so it won't hurt him in any way.

If being pig-ignorant about life and your friends wishes helps his family to cope then just let them do it. Rather than getting hung up on a very insignificant part of his existence just try and remember the better times and forget about things like this.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
02-10-2011, 12:52 PM (This post was last modified: 02-10-2011 12:55 PM by LadyJane.)
It won't hurt him, of course, but if my loved one dies, I would still respect them and the relationship I have that is left. Do I want my last action on this relationship to be a betrayal of their wishes and what they had hoped? Those hopes and wishes are still real because I'd know about them. I think this is just telling of the people who made this final, albeit deluded, decision.

I would not be happy witnessing this. It would depend on how close this person is to me to do something about it though.
ETA: I'd probably ask myself what this person would want. Would my friend have wanted to make a point, or was my friend a quieter person who would have rather had people do what they could to get through the grieving process.
02-10-2011, 01:24 PM
I think people can and should do whatever they feel like with my corpse. If they want to put my bikini-clad corpse on main street, that's fine. If they want to stuff me and mail me to someone they don't like, that's fine. Whatever... I'll be too dead to care.

I agree, though, that it can be insensitive to the deceased person's friends and family that this person be honored by a religion that they were not a part of. If that were the case with one of my atheist friends, I'd skip the funeral and remember them in my own way... for my sake, not for the dead friend's sake.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-10-2011, 03:46 AM
That's quite disrespectful "no no no no, he converted in the end, we'll put him in the cemetary Smile he was a devote servant of god all along."

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
03-10-2011, 05:39 AM
It's shitty. It's pretty fucking low. The denial of his last wish is the denial of his life. Yeah, yeah, funerals are for the living, sure, whatever, they're grieving, walk a mile in their shoes and all that, but it still sucks.

The buried under a tree thing is neat. I might look into that. I remember David Suzuki talking about the plan of someone he knew (might have even been his dad) to have their body sank off of Quadra Island and a crab trap placed beside them. The crabs would eat up the carrion and then get caught. They were then to be harvested and eaten at a celebration of his life.

Back to the denial of life thing, what if the guy was gay and they banned all gays from the funeral? Or if he had a black partner and they made it all white? The guy lived his life, not theirs. If they can't respect his choices, then they didn't respect him.

I keep reserving my harshest words because I don't know the details, but it doesn't sit well with me. He trusted them to carry out the last thing he ever asked of them and they, presumably, lied to a dying man's face.

I'm gonna stop here because I could go on for a while on this one. It really bugs me.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
[+] 1 user Likes Ghost's post
03-10-2011, 06:33 AM
Yeah, you tell them Ghost. Tell 'em like it is!

Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
03-10-2011, 09:48 AM
One other thing. If they weren't comfortable doing it, they should have told him. Like when Worf asked Riker to help him commit suicide, he was like, "I respect your traditions but I just can't help you kill yourself." That's one thing. And if they had that conversation, then so be it. He asked, they refused, case closed. But if they looked the man in the face with their fingers crossed behind their back and said, "sure <snicker snicker> we'll cremate you," then that's fucking BS.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
03-10-2011, 10:24 AM
Star trek aside I totally agree with ghost which has only happened one other time that i'm aware of.
From what I can tell the parents are dicks. Plain and simple. Honestly if all the hullabaloo about god is even remotely true and they did that to me I go to hell anyways right? I would then be a pissed off demon and would likely attempt escape only to haunt the ones who stabbed me in the back.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post