Atheist buried in Catholic Procedures?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-10-2011, 03:55 PM
RE: Atheist buried in Catholic Procedures?
(30-09-2011 03:06 PM)tazmin98 Wrote:  
(30-09-2011 02:27 PM)TheMonsterWith21Faces Wrote:  I had a friend, who, like me(and most of you) was an Atheist. He wasn't very devout nor outspoken about it, because he didn't want to start trouble, which I agree with him about.

He had cancer for a very long time and in the last year of his life, the doctors were certain he would die. Because he knew his death was coming, he expressed to me and his family that he wished to be cremated when he died.

A few months ago though, he died from his long struggle of cancer, and his family(who knew he was Atheist and wanted to be cremated) buried him with a Catholic pastor blessing, in a Catholic cemetery and all that jazz.

I personally think it was wrong, terribly wrong.
What do you guys think?

Edit: I just realized I might've posted this in the wrong section. If I did, feel free to move it.

To tell you the truth even though it's bad, I would want catholic blessing in my funeral. Not because I believe in God, it's because it part of my culture even if I reject the idea. I am still culture wise a christian(I wouldn't really, I would want to be buried under a tree)Smile

Cultural traditions are only a step above religion in worthlessness.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2011, 06:27 PM
Hey, Jbyrd.

Quote:Cultural traditions are only a step above religion in worthlessness.

That's one of those statements that sound powerful but fail to hold up to scrutiny. Human society couldn't function without cultural traditions. Essential is about as far from worthless as you can get.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
03-10-2011, 06:55 PM
(03-10-2011 06:27 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, Jbyrd.

Quote:Cultural traditions are only a step above religion in worthlessness.

That's one of those statements that sound powerful but fail to hold up to scrutiny. Human society couldn't function without cultural traditions. Essential is about as far from worthless as you can get.

Matt

Religion is merely tradition. That is the only reason it is taught to children and it continues on today.

I would love to hear, your evidence for the benefits of cultural traditions.
I cannot think of a single thing traditions do that is truly beneficial.
04-10-2011, 02:21 PM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2011 02:25 PM by Ghost.)
Hey, Jbyrd.

What you've done is taken a word, tradition, and tacked it to another word, religion, and simultaneously conflated and oversimplified them both. Tradition is nothing more than the link between the culture and people of today to the culture and people of the past. I would argue that the benefit of culture itself is incontrovertible and that culture is inextricable from human society. Culture is as necessary to society as a heart is to a human. Tradition is merely an important aspect of culture.

Certainly there are difficulties associated with tradition and certainly modernity tells us that it is without value; to be discarded as moribund waste. Tradition is quite inflexible, but it is that inflexibility that is responsible for the preservation of important parts of our past that would otherwise be thrown out, not only in cultures that are still very much traditional, but within our own. Our connection to the past is an important part of our path into the future.

Check out anything by Wade Davis, whether his work at National Geographic, his show Light at the Edge of the World, his TED talks, or his book The Wayfinders.

Matt
04-10-2011, 02:48 PM
(04-10-2011 02:21 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, Jbyrd.

What you've done is taken a word, tradition, and tacked it to another word, religion, and simultaneously conflated and oversimplified them both. Tradition is nothing more than the link between the culture and people of today to the culture and people of the past. I would argue that the benefit of culture itself is incontrovertible and that culture is inextricable from human society. Culture is as necessary to society as a heart is to a human. Tradition is merely an important aspect of culture.

Certainly there are difficulties associated with tradition and certainly modernity tells us that it is without value; to be discarded as moribund waste. Tradition is quite inflexible, but it is that inflexibility that is responsible for the preservation of important parts of our past that would otherwise be thrown out, not only in cultures that are still very much traditional, but within our own. Our connection to the past is an important part of our path into the future.

Check out anything by Wade Davis, whether his work at National Geographic, his show Light at the Edge of the World, his TED talks, or his book The Wayfinders.

Matt

So, no arguments?
Just criticizing my definitions of the words.
04-10-2011, 03:50 PM
Wow. Dick move. Think whatever you want.
04-10-2011, 08:30 PM
Tradition is very important. It gives a sense of belonging and security. As social creatures, this is very important. Tradition in birthdays with birthday cake, decorations and party, wedding celebrations to announce a serious commitment between two mates for life, getting up and having my morning coffee or tea to start the day.... There are many benefits with tradition.
05-10-2011, 12:20 AM
(01-10-2011 02:54 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(30-09-2011 02:27 PM)TheMonsterWith21Faces Wrote:  What do you guys think?

I think there's a valuable lesson here. Don't rely on others for your final disposition. Prearrange it yourself, contract with a mortuary explicitly stating your desires and making their fee contigent on following your instructions. If they want to get paid, they'll make sure it happens. ... Or just put in your will that everything goes to the cat in the event your instructions aren't followed.
The cat angle; I like that G.M.
Clear legal instructions may help with one's final wish.
Here in Australia you can donate your body to the anatomy Dept of a Uni.
They will pick you up within 60kms and after 3 yrs the cremation is free!!Wink
05-10-2011, 06:43 PM
(05-10-2011 12:20 AM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(01-10-2011 02:54 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(30-09-2011 02:27 PM)TheMonsterWith21Faces Wrote:  What do you guys think?

I think there's a valuable lesson here. Don't rely on others for your final disposition. Prearrange it yourself, contract with a mortuary explicitly stating your desires and making their fee contigent on following your instructions. If they want to get paid, they'll make sure it happens. ... Or just put in your will that everything goes to the cat in the event your instructions aren't followed.
The cat angle; I like that G.M.
Clear legal instructions may help with one's final wish.
Here in Australia you can donate your body to the anatomy Dept of a Uni.
They will pick you up within 60kms and after 3 yrs the cremation is free!!Wink

I have not researched this, but I am fairly sure you can donate your body to science here in the US as well.