Atheist but not an Anti-Theist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-02-2017, 12:09 AM
RE: Atheist but not an Anti-Theist
What on earth is an anti theist? Do they blow up churches or something?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-02-2017, 01:43 AM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2017 12:41 PM by Szuchow.)
(05-02-2017 03:14 PM)Thatconservativeatheist Wrote:  Well in the christian sense anyway. I view Islam as being a much greater threat.

I don't see alleged threat of Islam - it's mostly a scare, just like USSR was in days past. Islamic terrorism is a good way for gov's to justify spying own citizens - one has to remember that Jewish terrorists are responsible for more of terrorist acts that Muslims.

Quote:I have no issue with "Under God" being in the pledge or on the money or religious prayers in public.

Were I American I would have - god's place is in dustbin of history or if that can't be achieved in private houses, not in public place which should be free of this opiate called religion.

Quote:For those that were religious and are Anti-Theist did your deconversion become a catalyst to an Anti-theist position? Your experiences as a religious person?

I don't bother labeling myself as anti-theist. I see religion as tool of social control, virus infecting the young, disguise for authoritarian behavior that can make pathetic bigots look noble (at least in their own eyes) and just nonsense.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
06-02-2017, 07:09 AM
(06-02-2017 12:00 AM)Thatconservativeatheist Wrote:  Okay,I think that the use of BC as a treatment is a band aid for the real issue and most of them can be treated with other things (Acne:Diet,topical medications,balancing hormones and not covering them up.PCOS:Balancing hormones and diet. are my my main concerns) Yeah it's a bit woo woo but people can do what they want. I'm not the supreme dictator of the world. I'll just sit there and be my judgemental self.

You mean you ignore medical science and go with what you want to believe because it makes you feel superior.

(06-02-2017 12:04 AM)Thatconservativeatheist Wrote:  There are tons more than that but it's hard to say how many.

On what exactly do you base the statement that there are "tons more"? Is that more "feels" or do you have anything to back that up?

Quote:I agree there are other issues like obesity that will cause more issues.

Not that I disagree that obesity is a problem but on what basis are you judging the relative magnitude of the problems? More feels? I think if you actually took the time to look into the science behind the issues you wouldn't make such sweeping statements. You are fighting strawmen and bogeymen.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
06-02-2017, 07:11 AM
(06-02-2017 12:09 AM)Banjo Wrote:  What on earth is an anti theist? Do they blow up churches or something?

No, they look just like theists but if you get a theist and an anti-theist together they mutually annihilate. As an anti-theist myself I have to be really careful who I talk to in real life.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
06-02-2017, 12:00 PM
(06-02-2017 12:09 AM)Banjo Wrote:  What on earth is an anti theist? Do they blow up churches or something?
Anti-Theism would be a better way to put it though there probably are some that are Anti-Theist as well.They seem to be the ones who are against anything remotely religious but as I have never been one I can't be sure.
06-02-2017, 12:48 PM
(06-02-2017 12:00 AM)Thatconservativeatheist Wrote:  
(05-02-2017 10:03 PM)unfogged Wrote:  It isn't uncommon but if you know it is a major weakness I'd call that a step in the right direction.

Companies have no business being involved at that level in the lives of their employees. Contraceptive coverage is good preventive care for women that want to take advantage of it.

I said that companies shouldn't have to provide insurance. I was just clarify what i was referring to.

That doesn't make sense... companies are the private sector. What makes sense is to move to a single payer public system and get companies out of it so employer's individual beliefs don't interfere and we get the profit motive out of it so treatment isn't delayed or denied to boost the bottom line.

As long as private insurance is still available for those of us that want it.

They just aren't the same thing though. You have a choice on car ownership and use. You can't control when you get sick or have an accident. A simple misstep could literally wipe out decades of savings and ruin not only the victim but the spouse, children, family, and friends.

Hence why I mentioned Heath Care Maintenance. I view heath insurance as a separate thing.

There are no intrinsic rights but rights exist once we've granted that they do based on the kind of society we want to live in.

Our healthcare "system" doesn't even handle citizens decently though. How did we get dragged off into illegal residents and dreamers? Why should somebody who was brought here as a child and who grew up here as part of this culture be punished because of what their parents did? It may be biblical but it isn't moral. That's all beside the point anyway since the main issue is the overall system, not the percentage of care going to illegal aliens.

I was referring to the question of who decides who receives these privileges and how that is decided.In my mind rights=privileges. Dude I voted for Trump because of his immigration stances. Also not my problem that their parents messed it up for them. We're a country not a charity ward. Maybe it's not moral but I DGAF.

I understand the sentiment but it is short-sighted. STDs and unwanted pregnancies and other complications are not only more expensive than prevention they ruin loves and that affects many more than the individuals involved. If you want to live in a stable, prosperous society you need to think about how to make things better across the board and not just for yourself.

Honestly I am not reproducing and I will be gone in 60ish years. The world can burn for all I care. I'm not a humanist,I don't care about making the world a better overall for everyone.Again I'm just an asshole.

Very convenient that you can just ignore the parts that you can't argue against.
Okay,I think that the use of BC as a treatment is a band aid for the real issue and most of them can be treated with other things (Acne:Diet,topical medications,balancing hormones and not covering them up.PCOS:Balancing hormones and diet. are my my main concerns) Yeah it's a bit woo woo but people can do what they want. I'm not the supreme dictator of the world. I'll just sit there and be my judgemental self.

Where'd you get your medical degree?
06-02-2017, 02:15 PM
(06-02-2017 12:48 PM)julep Wrote:  
(06-02-2017 12:00 AM)Thatconservativeatheist Wrote:  Okay,I think that the use of BC as a treatment is a band aid for the real issue and most of them can be treated with other things (Acne:Diet,topical medications,balancing hormones and not covering them up.PCOS:Balancing hormones and diet. are my my main concerns) Yeah it's a bit woo woo but people can do what they want. I'm not the supreme dictator of the world. I'll just sit there and be my judgemental self.

Where'd you get your medical degree?

I'm assuming that's sarcasm. I don't have one but again I'm not ruler of the world.
06-02-2017, 02:35 PM
(05-02-2017 05:48 PM)Thatconservativeatheist Wrote:  
(05-02-2017 05:36 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  It is, just like extremism is a minority among Muslims. The problem is that the extremists in both camps have a fervor and disregard for others that makes up for their lack of numbers.

And... I don't really have the conceptual tools for arguing extremists out of their faith that DON'T argue moderates out of their faith as well. And given that the moderates provide legitimacy for the extremists, for the most part aren't keeping the extremists in check, and often try to instill in others the same doctrines that the extremists then leverage to recruit people into extremism, I'm not particularly motivated to exempt them. I can't be surgical when the patient isn't cooperative and all my tools are chain saws rather than scalpels.
I'd say there are more extremists among Islam due to the all encompassing nature of it (look at how places like Sweden and Germany are fairing)but your point is noted.

Today? On the international scale? Yes. But this is situational, relative to both time and place.

Here in the U.S. (which I assume is where you are, because you mentioned the Motto first thing) Islamist terrorism and Sharia law are distant threats. The terrorism does occasionally happen, but Christian and political right-wing ideologues are more common threats with a higher body count.

And while worldwide Islamist terrorism is the big threat today, last century it was a mix of Catholics and Communist ideologues/revolutionaries, with Islam being relatively tame. Three centuries before that, the big threat was the religious wars gripping Europe in the wake of the Protestant Schism (and also a bunch of sudden and unbalancing changes in technology, finance, resources through colonialism, class upheaval... look, the whole period's one huge mess). Eight centuries before that, Islam was the light of Western(ish) civilization. Two centuries earlier, it was the barbarian hordes slicing their way through large swathes of civilization.

While both religions have messages of violence innate in them, both also have messages of peace innate in them. How they play out in practice depends on each practitioner, and are not features of the religions in the abstract.
06-02-2017, 02:38 PM
Ugh,this is why I have to be careful when I talk about my crazy beliefs I just end up causing trouble(I spent from 7 to 23 in a extremely depressive,psychotic state so my stability is shaky at best). My original intention was to try to parse out an anti-theism vs pro-theism position. I think the fact to I think Christianity is a positive influence on society is where it breaks down.But I am biased because the best people I have met are Christians and the worst were Atheists. I see things in black and white and tend to stay away from shades of gray so it rally is all or nothing for me. I will admit that I am irrational and uneducated on topics but I never said I was a skeptic either.
06-02-2017, 02:43 PM
(06-02-2017 02:38 PM)Thatconservativeatheist Wrote:  ... the best people I have met are Christians...

Much of my experience with Christians mirrors yours: good, decent, honourable people wanting to do the right thing in their communities.

Given that atheists aren't generally an organized group (at least where I live) I really didn't know a lot of atheists simply because they didn't make themselves known as such. But since I started asking about it, turns out that my community is swimming with atheists. All of them that I know personally, without exception, are also decent, honourable people.

In short, at least in my experience, one's character is not in any way related to one's belief system (or lack of belief system).
[+] 1 user Likes Heath_Tierney's post