Atheist characters on TV

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-08-2012, 01:57 PM
RE: Atheist characters on TV
(03-08-2012 12:34 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Mr Spock

Well, probably all of the Star Trek characters (except the evil bad guys, of course)

I thought of this at first.... but then I realized that most of the human starfleet officers most likely are. Alien races, not entirely (thinking of the "Bajoran" race); however, it could be debatable with them as their "gods" are actual alien races that just happen to exist in a wormhole, so really they are worshipping "gods" but the gods are.... "tangible" in a sense--so they don't worship things they don't see or can't potentially interact with, and what they call gods aren't called that by others. Although, they do have rituals, certain things they do for reasons (Klingongs have a "hell"--actually touched upon a few times). But yeah, other than a few things that are debatable in a sense, they are 'atheist'
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-08-2012, 02:21 PM
The greatest character of all time, Captain Malcom Reynolds.

"You're allowed on my boat. God ain't"

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet I will end you.
[+] 2 users Like Pavlov's_Ape's post
03-08-2012, 02:21 PM
(03-08-2012 12:50 PM)kim Wrote:  
(03-08-2012 12:39 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Bill Maher

Bill Maher is a tv character? Thought he was a real guy. And you're sheeshing me? Dodgy

Are you saying you've seen him outside of tv?

Speaking of which, Penn & Teller

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
03-08-2012, 02:29 PM
(03-08-2012 12:45 PM)kim Wrote:  Here's some telling quotes by Homer and a couple other characters....

"I've always wondered if there was a god. And now I know there is -- and it's me."
- Homer Simpson.

"Prayer has no place in the public schools, just like facts have no place in organized religion."
- School Superintendent

God is my favorite fictional character. -Homer Simpson

Praise Jeb-us. - Homer Simpson

I'm looking........THIS BOOK DOESN'T HAVE ANY ANSWERS. - Homer Simpson (on the bible)

If the Flintstones has taught us anything, it is that pelicans can be used to mix cement."--Homer

In the argument he has with Marge, Homer announces he doesn't want to go to church anymore. "What if we choose the wrong God? Then God will be mad at us."

"Aren't we forgeting the true meaning of Christmas? You know, the birth of Santa." - Bart

I also found a good site full of Homer quotes! They're not particularly Atheist quotes, but it's a positive atheist site.
http://www.positiveatheism.org/hist/quotes/homer.htm

My favorite quotes so far, are:
Hey, just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand!

Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

You know, the one with all the well-meaning rules that don't work in real life -- uh, Christianity.
-- Homer Simpson, telling what religion the family belongs to

Okay, brain. You don't like me, and I don't like you, but let's get through this thing and then I can continue killing you with beer.

That's why I added Mr. Homer to the list.

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-08-2012, 02:35 PM
Nearly every character on British TV. But not the Vicar of Dibley.
03-08-2012, 02:38 PM
(03-08-2012 12:34 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Mr Spock

Well, probably all of the Star Trek characters (except the evil bad guys, of course)

Mr. Spock, of course!!

"Mr. Scott, there was no deity involved..."

(last 7 seconds)

There are several other similar situations where Spock says the same inspiring phrase.

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
[+] 1 user Likes KVron's post
03-08-2012, 02:41 PM
Ok.. in light of Bill Mahar and Penn & Teller...

Here's another somebody I'll probably never meet so maybe is a fictional character. I didn't actually know Bruce willis was an Atheist until today. Hm, go figure. Of course, I knew Warren Buffett and Bill Gates are. Thumbsup

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
03-08-2012, 03:10 PM
Huh.... if true this place has a huge list: http://www.squidoo.com/AtheistCharacters...e155687806

Really shy of a few of them, I never thought the lack of belief ever entered into television. But then I so rarely watch it.
[+] 1 user Likes elemts's post
03-08-2012, 05:58 PM
(03-08-2012 03:10 PM)elemts Wrote:  Huh.... if true this place has a huge list: http://www.squidoo.com/AtheistCharacters...e155687806

Really shy of a few of them, I never thought the lack of belief ever entered into television. But then I so rarely watch it.

How can Doctor Who not have made that list?

And I'd add Doc Martin as well.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
03-08-2012, 06:05 PM
(03-08-2012 05:58 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(03-08-2012 03:10 PM)elemts Wrote:  Huh.... if true this place has a huge list: http://www.squidoo.com/AtheistCharacters...e155687806

How can Doctor Who not have made that list?

And I'd add Doc Martin as well.

Really.... aren't most to almost-all sci-fi television shows/movies contain atheists? I know some have a religious person in them--but if there is, there always seems to be a atheist. Except for maybe pitch black (many religious, one said he did believe in god but he hated him, not certain about the main woman).

But yeah, I love Doctor Who myself. Thinking of that.... wouldn't there be a fairly large amount of shows (on the BBC channels over there at least) that either have atheists on them, or just people who knock down religion or make fun of it?