Atheist characters on TV

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-08-2012, 06:15 PM
RE: Atheist characters on TV
(03-08-2012 06:05 PM)elemts Wrote:  But yeah, I love Doctor Who myself. Thinking of that.... wouldn't there be a fairly large amount of shows (on the BBC channels over there at least) that either have atheists on them, or just people who knock down religion or make fun of it?

Well, yes...

(03-08-2012 02:35 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  Nearly every character on British TV. But not the Vicar of Dibley.

In the UK, secularism is the norm. I mean, we have theists, but they are (very thankfully) on the fringes. Particularly when it comes to entertainment.

They intrude on the government and in education (no separation of church and state) but we don't tend to have it thrust down our throats in the mass media.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-08-2012, 08:03 PM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2012 08:22 PM by GirlyMan.)
(03-08-2012 02:21 PM)Pavlovs_Ape Wrote:  The greatest character of all time, Captain Malcom Reynolds.

"You're allowed on my boat. God ain't"

Reminds me that Captain Jack Harkness oughtta be included as well. Big Grin

Got no clue what the fuck to make of the Face of Boe, don't think it was an atheist, think it was more like a God dying sorta thing.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
05-08-2012, 09:37 PM
He-Man and She-Ra! They don't seem to have any kind of religion on their planets/in their universes.

Probably everybody from Star Wars. They have the Force. What the hell would they need a god for when they have something they can prove exists and is a lot more fun to have around?
05-08-2012, 09:42 PM
Atheist characters on TV
(05-08-2012 09:37 PM)SlipStitch Wrote:  He-Man and She-Ra! They don't seem to have any kind of religion on their planets/in their universes.

Probably everybody from Star Wars. They have the Force. What the hell would they need a god for when they have something they can prove exists and is a lot more fun to have around?

He-Man called upon the power of Grey Skull. He was dependent upon an outside higher source. I'd call that religious.

And the Force is just as supernatural as a god.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
05-08-2012, 09:48 PM
(05-08-2012 09:42 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(05-08-2012 09:37 PM)SlipStitch Wrote:  He-Man and She-Ra! They don't seem to have any kind of religion on their planets/in their universes.

He-Man called upon the power of Grey Skull. He was dependent upon an outside higher source. I'd call that religious.

Except both demonstrate actual effects, therefore not supernatural. And definitely not like God.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
05-08-2012, 09:54 PM
Atheist characters on TV
(05-08-2012 09:48 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(05-08-2012 09:42 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  He-Man called upon the power of Grey Skull. He was dependent upon an outside higher source. I'd call that religious.

Except both demonstrate actual effects, therefore not supernatural. And definitely not like God.

You make a good argument.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
05-08-2012, 09:59 PM
(05-08-2012 09:54 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(05-08-2012 09:48 PM)Chas Wrote:  Except both demonstrate actual effects, therefore not supernatural. And definitely not like God.

You make a good argument.

Ooooh, good line. May I use that?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
05-08-2012, 10:27 PM
Brian Griffin - Family Guy

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
05-08-2012, 10:33 PM
Atheist characters on TV
(05-08-2012 09:59 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(05-08-2012 09:54 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  You make a good argument.

Ooooh, good line. May I use that?

You'd be stealing someone's intellectual property. I guess if you're okay with that...Dodgy

Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
11-08-2012, 11:38 AM
I love Bones < 3 Does anyone know if she is a atheist in real life?

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.