Atheist community?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-03-2012, 05:30 PM (This post was last modified: 11-03-2012 11:05 AM by Leela.)
Atheist community?
Today I realized something more than before (I guess most of you had that point)

I really miss some kind of real life community.
A bit like that churchy stuff just leaving the whole churchy stuff out. No sunday service, no meetings where you need to attend, just a real community, atheist, active, a place to turn to when you need help, a place where you share your achievments, where you offer and receive. And not even talking about making it a real club, with fees and all that. No, I am talking about some kind of... dunno....
A community you can turn to, where you have fun, you have meet&greets, a BBQ in summer, a trip to the sea side (well that's easy in Ireland), visiting a museum together or a pub or anything. Just something for real life.

So I had an idea to start that kind of thing here in Dublin.
I just don't know atheists in Dublin. I found atheistireland but there is not a lot happening, there is nothing regular, not the kind of thing I would like to have. They say if you write them when you want to organize a meet and greet in your area you have to write them an email and they make it public, I wrote, there was never a response Undecided

So are there any Dubliners here? (not talking about the band)
Or around Dublin?
Anyone an idea how to start a thing like that?
I am really good in organizing things, I just don't know how to start it off really...

Input appreciated

cheers

---------------------------------------------------------------
Started working on a website for this project: http://duatco.webs.com/
click it and tell me what you think

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Leela's post
10-03-2012, 05:53 PM
RE: Atheist community?
I know the feeling, Leela. Especially for me, trying to restructure a post-Jesus-life, a community of atheists sounds great.

I don't know if this website is active in Ireland, but it's popular in the US for meeting new people.

Simply, Meetup.com.

There are all kinds of interest groups you can sign up for, including Free-thought or atheism.

Even if there isn't anything going on near you, maybe you can use the ideas there to get something started. Smile

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
Find all posts by this user
11-03-2012, 05:38 AM
thank you Erxomai, I will check that out. Apart from that I think I will prepare a homepage that stays updated.
I think something blogish in it, something newsish in it, something worldnewsish in it, links etc etc.
And then I will start advertising I guess, on G+ and so on.

[+] 1 user Likes Leela's post
11-03-2012, 11:05 AM
Here we go, I started the website, for now it's just a freehost and a generic ws address. Can't afford to register a website (although I know it is not that expensive) or a professional server host.

Here the website, still under construction, tell me what you think:
http://duatco.webs.com/

11-03-2012, 11:21 AM
BBQ? I'm going!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
11-03-2012, 02:06 PM
Leela- brilliant idea. I'm only a short flight away (scotland) I love the idea of us euro-atheists getting together.... If you get any events off the ground and want a non-dubliner there then let me know Smile

"Christianity is like a diet where you eat lots of chocolate cake all week, and then on Sunday you mentally scold yourself and "try again" only to repeat the cycle." - Buddy Christ
[+] 1 user Likes Shannow's post
11-03-2012, 02:25 PM
I don't think I would enjoy an atheist community, I don't like getting to many attachments and when I can, I try to avoid them.
11-03-2012, 03:31 PM
Erxomai, ok come over, let's have BBQ on a Sunday after sleeping in heh

Shannow: sure once I get some people together maybe by that time we can even find you a cheap-ish place to stay Smile

TheArcticSage: It is of course something of preference. If you prefer to not be in a community like that, that's fine.

11-03-2012, 03:45 PM
I can empathize with you. Just know that most American atheists are in the same boat.

Undecided

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
11-03-2012, 05:13 PM
The Seattle area seems to be a bit of a haven for magical-thinking-abstainers. At least, given the meetup group size. Smile