Atheist community

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-09-2015, 12:12 AM
Atheist community
I live in a growing town, in the "bible belt" & am giving strong consideration to starting an atheist community. This idea, still in its infancy, comes after conducting a search for such a community in my area, & finding 2 out of date- & since closed- communities anywhere near me, & a hand full 2 hours away in major metropolitan areas. I have a few friends, here, who are atheists, & the ever increasing population suggests there are plenty more to be found.

My desire is for their to be at least a monthly, physical, meeting of atheists, freethinkers, skeptics, secularists, naturalists, humanists, & other labels for groups of like minded people I'm sure to be forgetting (feel free to fill in the blanks). At these gatherings I would like to see the community engage: prearranged topics of discussion, recent news pertinent to maintaining separation of church & state, charitable activities, an occasional guest speaker(s)/ debate, social interaction with peers, & other worthwhile notions yet to occur to me (more blanks). Smile

My goal is to create a positive, atheist, community that is actively involved in my area. I think it would be worthwhile to set more goals after I've managed this feat, but am not sure, yet, what those would be. They would depend on the interest(s) displayed in the community.

I am unsure of how to get this ball rolling, & this is the area I'm requesting your support. I searched for a community, & am wanting to create one due to its absence. This leaves me inclined to think no one else in my area has recently even searched for one here, or else they would have done the same thing. This has me questioning an idea to start a social media page under some atheist community title to see if it gains any actual traction. I don't want to be just waiting on that, however, & am looking for other ideas to gauge interest in this town for such an organization. My other concern in this arena is any such attempt being crushed by the preconceived notions many theists carry about atheists- even if that's the last detail mentioned (I.e.: they would like an active, charitable, knowledgeable, etc. community, but not if it's atheist). Hobo

I am interested to hear any constructive thoughts/ criticisms/ questions on what I have so far, & what I don't- I did mention the idea is in its infancy. Thank you, to all who reply.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-09-2015, 12:51 AM
RE: Atheist community
Firstly,

Hug

Second... um.. living in a completely different country I've no real pointers to share. Sad
[+] 2 users Like Peebothuhul's post
21-09-2015, 01:57 AM
(21-09-2015 12:12 AM)7R0MM3L Wrote:  ...
My desire is for their to be at least a monthly, physical, meeting
I am unsure of how to get this ball rolling,
I am interested to hear any constructive thoughts

Have you tried this?

Smile

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
21-09-2015, 05:11 AM
I second DLJ's suggestion about starting a Meet-Up group. Personally, the idea of getting together with other atheists to sit and listen or discuss atheism topics wouldn't appeal (too much like church), but I would enjoy doing an activity (hiking, bowling, pub crawl), maybe sometimes with a tie to a humanist charity.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
21-09-2015, 06:44 AM
I've only been to one ....

A bunch of young kids totally tweaked out on Marx.....

Humorless lot, they were...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
21-09-2015, 08:16 AM
Adopt a couple of miles of highway to clean up on a regular basis. That gets you a free road sign in some communities. After the pickup session, adjourn to a pub.
[+] 1 user Likes jabeady's post
21-09-2015, 08:52 AM
also, facebook groups with your town name

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
21-09-2015, 04:05 PM
(21-09-2015 12:51 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  Firstly,

Hug

Second... um.. living in a completely different country I've no real pointers to share. Sad

Awww... Hug

That's okay; I'm in the country, & don't, yet, know either. Smile
21-09-2015, 04:33 PM
(21-09-2015 01:57 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(21-09-2015 12:12 AM)7R0MM3L Wrote:  ...
My desire is for their to be at least a monthly, physical, meeting
I am unsure of how to get this ball rolling,
I am interested to hear any constructive thoughts

Have you tried this?

Smile

No, I sure haven't; this is my first attempt at launching a group, of any kind. This is very helpful. Thank you very much. Smile
21-09-2015, 05:30 PM
(21-09-2015 05:11 AM)julep Wrote:  I second DLJ's suggestion about starting a Meet-Up group. Personally, the idea of getting together with other atheists to sit and listen or discuss atheism topics wouldn't appeal (too much like church), but I would enjoy doing an activity (hiking, bowling, pub crawl), maybe sometimes with a tie to a humanist charity.

I wholeheartedly agree with your point of getting together to sit & discuss feeling too much like church. I realize, now, that I didn't properly convey how the social aspect is what I want to fuel the activities, & conversations- which would not be at all restrained to the usual topics of atheism. The closest I would want to get to that would be with guest speakers/ debaters. In addition I don't know of a space outside a public option that I could acquire, so I imagine the group meeting in a relaxed, social, atmosphere with access to food & drinks (preferably beer). Smile
My only concern with using a public forum is it may simultaneously deter many individuals who have a legitimate fear of ostracism in their professional &/ or personal lives, & numbers will make my desires for charitable deeds better realized. This is not an excuse not to do this, & I expect an uphill climb no matter what I could do.