Atheist community

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-09-2015, 05:32 PM
RE: Atheist community
(21-09-2015 06:44 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I've only been to one ....

A bunch of young kids totally tweaked out on Marx.....

Humorless lot, they were...

Yeah......not what I have in mind Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-09-2015, 05:33 PM
(21-09-2015 08:16 AM)jabeady Wrote:  Adopt a couple of miles of highway to clean up on a regular basis. That gets you a free road sign in some communities. After the pickup session, adjourn to a pub.

Good suggestion, thank you.
21-09-2015, 05:52 PM
Make sure to keep all the personally-identifying information, like names and photos, on the Meetup or Facebook page private, and only visible by members.

Some of the secular social media groups I've joined don't even share info about specific meeting times or locations, unless you're a member.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
21-09-2015, 09:57 PM
(21-09-2015 05:52 PM)cactus Wrote:  Make sure to keep all the personally-identifying information, like names and photos, on the Meetup or Facebook page private, and only visible by members.

Some of the secular social media groups I've joined don't even share info about specific meeting times or locations, unless you're a member.

Due to the area I live in, & wanting as many people to feel as comfortable as possible, that's my intention. Thank you, for expressing concern. Hug
22-09-2015, 04:57 PM
Freedom from Religion Foundation will help you set up an outpost in the war against ignorance. Thumbsup

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
22-09-2015, 05:03 PM
(21-09-2015 12:12 AM)7R0MM3L Wrote:  I live in a growing town, in the "bible belt" & am giving strong consideration to starting an atheist community. This idea, still in its infancy, comes after conducting a search for such a community in my area, & finding 2 out of date- & since closed- communities anywhere near me, & a hand full 2 hours away in major metropolitan areas. I have a few friends, here, who are atheists, & the ever increasing population suggests there are plenty more to be found.

My desire is for their to be at least a monthly, physical, meeting of atheists, freethinkers, skeptics, secularists, naturalists, humanists, & other labels for groups of like minded people I'm sure to be forgetting (feel free to fill in the blanks). At these gatherings I would like to see the community engage: prearranged topics of discussion, recent news pertinent to maintaining separation of church & state, charitable activities, an occasional guest speaker(s)/ debate, social interaction with peers, & other worthwhile notions yet to occur to me (more blanks). Smile

My goal is to create a positive, atheist, community that is actively involved in my area. I think it would be worthwhile to set more goals after I've managed this feat, but am not sure, yet, what those would be. They would depend on the interest(s) displayed in the community.

I am unsure of how to get this ball rolling, & this is the area I'm requesting your support. I searched for a community, & am wanting to create one due to its absence. This leaves me inclined to think no one else in my area has recently even searched for one here, or else they would have done the same thing. This has me questioning an idea to start a social media page under some atheist community title to see if it gains any actual traction. I don't want to be just waiting on that, however, & am looking for other ideas to gauge interest in this town for such an organization. My other concern in this arena is any such attempt being crushed by the preconceived notions many theists carry about atheists- even if that's the last detail mentioned (I.e.: they would like an active, charitable, knowledgeable, etc. community, but not if it's atheist). Hobo

I am interested to hear any constructive thoughts/ criticisms/ questions on what I have so far, & what I don't- I did mention the idea is in its infancy. Thank you, to all who reply.

Becareful...read the lay of the land, you don't want some dipshits to have a few cold ones and say to one another, lets go teach that atheist the fear of god. I live in the bible belt (Virginia) and I am able to slap on my FICTION tshirt made up of religious symbols, or my TTA "you pray for me and I will think for you" tshirt and smile at all of the murderous looks I get....but that is all they do...look mean. In 6 months though I am moving to "god's country" Tennessee where every corner has a church. I never avoid conflict, I thrive on it...but I also do not want to endanger my family because I want to wear a fuck religion tshirt in a town where I am the EXTREME minority...where gawd fearing folk may take it upon themselves to set me right by burning my house to the ground....so, even though I don't speak "scared"....I am not stupid either, and realize my family may pay for my militant atheism.....soooooo I am fully aware I will be packing up my atheist tshirts and putting them away for good when I move there.

I wish you the best...please tread carefully...depending on where you are, and the level of rampant delusion whether or not you want to be the face of atheism there.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
22-09-2015, 05:49 PM
(21-09-2015 06:44 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I've only been to one ....

A bunch of young kids totally tweaked out on Marx.....

Humorless lot, they were...

I went to an atheist book club a few times. They were a relatively diverse group, and the conversation was sometimes interesting on those occasions when it wasn't centered specifically around the recovering from religion variety of book. I'm sure that's very interesting to new atheists, but I wanted to branch out a bit more. I met an interesting Atheist Syrian, one of the few non militarily, non work related friends I've got, whom I've mentioned a couple times. But for the most part, yeah I felt like an alien from another planet once they got to know me.

'Murican Canadian
22-09-2015, 06:16 PM
(22-09-2015 05:03 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Becareful...read the lay of the land, you don't want some dipshits to have a few cold ones and say to one another, lets go teach that atheist the fear of god. I live in the bible belt (Virginia) and I am able to slap on my FICTION tshirt made up of religious symbols, or my TTA "you pray for me and I will think for you" tshirt and smile at all of the murderous looks I get....but that is all they do...look mean. In 6 months though I am moving to "god's country" Tennessee where every corner has a church. I never avoid conflict, I thrive on it...but I also do not want to endanger my family because I want to wear a fuck religion tshirt in a town where I am the EXTREME minority...where gawd fearing folk may take it upon themselves to set me right by burning my house to the ground....so, even though I don't speak "scared"....I am not stupid either, and realize my family may pay for my militant atheism.....soooooo I am fully aware I will be packing up my atheist tshirts and putting them away for good when I move there.

I wish you the best...please tread carefully...depending on where you are, and the level of rampant delusion whether or not you want to be the face of atheism there.

This is a concern I seek to mitigate by the aforementioned inquiry for local interest. An idea I had recently was to have myself, & willing friends, work in tandem (buddy system for safety) to survey people at (pre approved) business entrances. Door to door, walking up to people in a parking lot, & other "people chasing" concepts are out of the question, but a face & a clipboard outside a business is in full view of the public eye, & itself non threatening, while still lending us the ability to engage. Part of my thought for the survey is to include a question of "if/ why it would matter if the community is atheist?" I would not have anyone, other than the person asking, fill out the survey (keeping it simple makes it more likely to garner more responders) which could be as simple as a tally. I would also like to include some sheets of paper for notes on especially (dis)interested responses.

I don't mess with FB much anymore, so I don't know if this could be better accomplished through that medium- though I'm inclined to think not.

No one should have to fear retribution for being the most honest version of themselves.
[+] 1 user Likes 7R0MM3L's post
22-09-2015, 08:17 PM
(22-09-2015 06:16 PM)7R0MM3L Wrote:  
(22-09-2015 05:03 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Becareful...read the lay of the land, you don't want some dipshits to have a few cold ones and say to one another, lets go teach that atheist the fear of god. I live in the bible belt (Virginia) and I am able to slap on my FICTION tshirt made up of religious symbols, or my TTA "you pray for me and I will think for you" tshirt and smile at all of the murderous looks I get....but that is all they do...look mean. In 6 months though I am moving to "god's country" Tennessee where every corner has a church. I never avoid conflict, I thrive on it...but I also do not want to endanger my family because I want to wear a fuck religion tshirt in a town where I am the EXTREME minority...where gawd fearing folk may take it upon themselves to set me right by burning my house to the ground....so, even though I don't speak "scared"....I am not stupid either, and realize my family may pay for my militant atheism.....soooooo I am fully aware I will be packing up my atheist tshirts and putting them away for good when I move there.

This is a concern I seek to mitigate by the aforementioned inquiry for local interest. An idea I had recently was to have myself, & willing friends, work in tandem (buddy system for safety) to survey people at (pre approved) business entrances. Door to door, walking up to people in a parking lot, & other "people chasing" concepts are out of the question, but a face & a clipboard outside a business is in full view of the public eye, & itself non threatening, while still lending us the ability to engage. Part of my thought for the survey is to include a question of "if/ why it would matter if the community is atheist?" I would not have anyone, other than the person asking, fill out the survey (keeping it simple makes it more likely to garner more responders) which could be as simple as a tally. I would also like to include some sheets of paper for notes on especially (dis)interested responses.

I don't mess with FB much anymore, so I don't know if this could be better accomplished through that medium- though I'm inclined to think not.

No one should have to fear retribution for being the most honest version of themselves.

Sounds like a plan. I temper my militant atheism with careful analysis of the area I am intending to enter, to decide what I wear or don't wear...I am confident and secure in my beliefs and actually enjoy conflict....but you wont find me wearing a "Muhammad sucks" tshirt and running through Afghanistan ...or walking into a revival in the butt fuck backwoods of Tennessee wearing a jesus is a myth jacket Smile

Hehe

Love the idea, just continue to balance your personal safety and the safety of those you love about with the enjoyment of pressing forward with things you care passionately about. You are absolutely right, one shouldn't have to fear retribution in America for voicing their personal beliefs or opinions.......but....

Thumbsup

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
24-09-2015, 08:35 PM
(22-09-2015 08:17 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(22-09-2015 06:16 PM)7R0MM3L Wrote:  This is a concern I seek to mitigate by the aforementioned inquiry for local interest. An idea I had recently was to have myself, & willing friends, work in tandem (buddy system for safety) to survey people at (pre approved) business entrances. Door to door, walking up to people in a parking lot, & other "people chasing" concepts are out of the question, but a face & a clipboard outside a business is in full view of the public eye, & itself non threatening, while still lending us the ability to engage. Part of my thought for the survey is to include a question of "if/ why it would matter if the community is atheist?" I would not have anyone, other than the person asking, fill out the survey (keeping it simple makes it more likely to garner more responders) which could be as simple as a tally. I would also like to include some sheets of paper for notes on especially (dis)interested responses.

Sounds like a plan. I temper my militant atheism with careful analysis of the area I am intending to enter, to decide what I wear or don't wear...I am confident and secure in my beliefs and actually enjoy conflict....but you wont find me wearing a "Muhammad sucks" tshirt and running through Afghanistan ...or walking into a revival in the butt fuck backwoods of Tennessee wearing a jesus is a myth jacket Smile

Hehe

Love the idea, just continue to balance your personal safety and the safety of those you love about with the enjoyment of pressing forward with things you care passionately about. You are absolutely right, one shouldn't have to fear retribution in America for voicing their personal beliefs or opinions.......but....

Thumbsup

Safety has been at the front of my mind since this idea started rolling around. I don't want anyone to get hurt physically, financially (job loss, etc), psychologically, etc. I just want like minds to feel safe, accepted, & apart of something fun & good.
[+] 1 user Likes 7R0MM3L's post