Atheist convention? Anybody been?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-10-2015, 05:26 PM
Atheist convention? Anybody been?
Hi, I was wondering if anybody has been to an atheist convention? What's it like? Fun? Boring? Weird? Awkward? What do you do there? Is there food? What does your money get you? I know nothing about it.

Seems like it might be a fun thing to experience once....maybe.

Feel free to share your opinions or stories on conventions!

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-10-2015, 09:06 PM
RE: Atheist convention? Anybody been?
(07-10-2015 05:26 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Hi, I was wondering if anybody has been to an atheist convention? What's it like? Fun? Boring? Weird? Awkward? What do you do there? Is there food? What does your money get you? I know nothing about it.

Seems like it might be a fun thing to experience once....maybe.

Feel free to share your opinions or stories on conventions!

But that's....

... that's....

.... that's that REAL LIFE stuff I keep hearing stories about!

IT'S NOT REAL! YOU CAN'T PROVE IT TO ME! LALALALALA!
07-10-2015, 09:27 PM
Yes...2012 Melbourne.

I rubbed shoulders with Daniel Dennet, Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris and Mr Deity. Great experience. A big happy group of smart people.

We had fun laughing at the Christian and Muslim protesters.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Mark Fulton's post
08-10-2015, 12:16 AM
That's what happens when we have people over. Tongue

No. I heard you go there, get drunk, and sexually harass females, but I haven't tried it. Undecided

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
08-10-2015, 12:20 AM
I think it would be interesting to attend one. I'm not big on approaching people I don't know so I'd probably keep to myself, but I like observing others, and it would be pretty awesome to observe a group of atheists.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
08-10-2015, 04:56 AM
I'm headed to a skeptics convention for my birthday. I don't think I'll know anyone there having not attended any meetings in the lead up. Too busy with work and kids: http://brisbaneskeptics.org/convention/

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
08-10-2015, 05:03 AM
I went to the Oklahoma Free Thought convention this year in June, it had Matt Dillahunty, Seth Andrews, Aaron Ra and other speakers there.

I got to meet Matt Dillahunty and talk a bit with him, he's a really nice guy.

I should have said something to Seth Andrews when he walked by, but he was pretty busy with the audio and video there so I left him alone.

It can be a great place to meet other freethinkers in your area, really enjoyed it and I plan on going again.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
09-10-2015, 04:53 AM
Nope but let me know how the baby bbq is, I heard it's really good.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
09-10-2015, 04:57 AM
If religious people spend all their time talking about religion - what do atheists spend all their time talking about?

Nothing?

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
09-10-2015, 05:33 AM
I have never been. Generally I find out the week after.

This past year I joined The Australian Atheists Foundation/party, whatever. And it was great. I got to buy tickets to see people such as Richard Dawkins and others. Then gave the tickets away due to my being in hospital. My membership is due and I am tossing up whether to renew it.

When I think about it, there is no real point in my hearing someone like Aron Ra or Seth. I am already an atheist and I daresay have years on most speakers. What is the point? Also I kind of prefer being on the stage, not the audience. Less people! Smile

Perhaps I'll renew my membership. If only to give them money. It's only $30.00!

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.