Atheist-curious

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-07-2015, 01:05 PM
Atheist-curious
Hi, everyone,

I'm glad this forum exists. I'm not an atheist, at least I don't think so. However I've been moving in that direction for quite some time now. I was raised in Islam as a child then converted to fundamentalist Christianity for several years.

After my divorce I pursued eastern spirituality and ended up at Agape in Culver City, California. The message there is very nice but sometimes the woo factor would grate on me. I moved recently and it became difficult to go. In that time I continued to meditate and read on my own.

The longer I stayed away the less I wanted to go back. Eventually I started seeking out information online about atheism and checked out a bunch of books on the subject. In that time I have been soaking up lots of information. In the past I had always been turned off by many atheists. However when I found this site via YouTube, the host, Seth, was so funny and inviting and respectful that I kept listening.

I feel like I'm becoming an atheist, though that name still rubs me the wrong way. I'm playing with the label Naturalist Freethinker. Smile

My emotions have been somewhat sad and somewhat elated. Sad because I've always self-identified as a "spiritual" person. Who am I apart from my concept of God? But I've been elated because I feel free to examine the world according to my own thoughts. I'm considering replacing my normal spiritual study and prayer time in the morning with listening to beautiful music or writing poetry. I'm a writer and an artist, so leaving woo behind may give me more time for things that truly make life beautiful.

Anyway, I realize I'm not a full-fledged atheist but I hope I can learn here and figure it all out.

Best,
Raven
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like rburnes's post
16-07-2015, 01:10 PM
RE: Atheist-curious
Welcome! We all started somewhere.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
16-07-2015, 01:11 PM
Welcome!
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
16-07-2015, 01:14 PM
Welcome
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
16-07-2015, 01:15 PM
Hello! Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
16-07-2015, 01:21 PM
Labels are for goons anyway Knights who say NI!

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 4 users Like ClydeLee's post
16-07-2015, 02:36 PM (This post was last modified: 16-07-2015 02:39 PM by Nurse.)
Hi there! Welcome!

Deconversion certainly didn't happen overnight for me. Took about 13 years to come back to the same conclusion I had as a teen.

I will call myself an atheist or an agnostic atheist or a secular humanist or a freethinker. (Aaaaand if I'm with my family - I call myself a Christian Confused ) But usually I'll just say atheist. It gets the point across.

Like another person said - they're all just labels, anyway. Here is what they mean to me, personally. Atheist - I have no belief a god exists. Agnostic atheist - I can't prove there is no God, but I sure as hell reject the notion that the Jewish/christian/Muslim God exists. Secular humanist - I try to follow the golden rule. Freethinker - I do my best to use my noggin and not be a sheep.

Heathen and infidel work, too Thumbsup

Edited to add: Damn autocorrect. I hate it when it capitalizes words I don't want to capitalize. Like god.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
16-07-2015, 02:43 PM
Welcome...

And remember --

EVERYBODY starts off as an atheist.

Any religion you pick up along the way is just regional contamination.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
16-07-2015, 02:53 PM
Welcome, settle in, listen to the plethora of podcasts on the home page, check out the resources available here, and realize the journey is taken one step at a time....the word "Atheist" has been artfully misconstrued as a bad thing for so long that it will take awhile for it to lose its stigma with negative perceptions. it is simply the disbelief in gods, as gods were created by man, in their own image. What you want to call yourself as you travel down the path to self content is up to you. I went from born atheist, raised christian, then became "more spiritual than religious", then agnostic, and finally deconverted back to my original state, the state we are all born in...atheist. Everyone's path is their own, enjoy the experience. In the mean time, if you have any questions, doubts, ideas, feel free to ask.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
16-07-2015, 03:06 PM
Thank you! Smile

(16-07-2015 02:36 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Hi there! Welcome!

Deconversion certainly didn't happen overnight for me. Took about 13 years to come back to the same conclusion I had as a teen.

I will call myself an atheist or an agnostic atheist or a secular humanist or a freethinker. (Aaaaand if I'm with my family - I call myself a Christian Confused ) But usually I'll just say atheist. It gets the point across.

Like another person said - they're all just labels, anyway. Here is what they mean to me, personally. Atheist - I have no belief a god exists. Agnostic atheist - I can't prove there is no God, but I sure as hell reject the notion that the Jewish/christian/Muslim God exists. Secular humanist - I try to follow the golden rule. Freethinker - I do my best to use my noggin and not be a sheep.

Heathen and infidel work, too Thumbsup

Edited to add: Damn autocorrect. I hate it when it capitalizes words I don't want to capitalize. Like god.