Atheist-curious

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-07-2015, 03:09 PM
RE: Atheist-curious
Thank you for the warm welcome!

(16-07-2015 02:53 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Welcome, settle in, listen to the plethora of podcasts on the home page, check out the resources available here, and realize the journey is taken one step at a time....the word "Atheist" has been artfully misconstrued as a bad thing for so long that it will take awhile for it to lose its stigma with negative perceptions. it is simply the disbelief in gods, as gods were created by man, in their own image. What you want to call yourself as you travel down the path to self content is up to you. I went from born atheist, raised christian, then became "more spiritual than religious", then agnostic, and finally deconverted back to my original state, the state we are all born in...atheist. Everyone's path is their own, enjoy the experience. In the mean time, if you have any questions, doubts, ideas, feel free to ask.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes rburnes's post
16-07-2015, 03:10 PM
Hiya Raven. Deconversion is a long process which has many different stops along the way. It's good you've started the trip. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
16-07-2015, 04:07 PM
Thank you!

(16-07-2015 03:10 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Hiya Raven. Deconversion is a long process which has many different stops along the way. It's good you've started the trip. Smile
16-07-2015, 04:58 PM
(16-07-2015 01:05 PM)rburnes Wrote:  Hi, everyone,

I'm glad this forum exists. I'm not an atheist, at least I don't think so. However I've been moving in that direction for quite some time now. I was raised in Islam as a child then converted to fundamentalist Christianity for several years.

After my divorce I pursued eastern spirituality and ended up at Agape in Culver City, California. The message there is very nice but sometimes the woo factor would grate on me. I moved recently and it became difficult to go. In that time I continued to meditate and read on my own.

The longer I stayed away the less I wanted to go back. Eventually I started seeking out information online about atheism and checked out a bunch of books on the subject. In that time I have been soaking up lots of information. In the past I had always been turned off by many atheists. However when I found this site via YouTube, the host, Seth, was so funny and inviting and respectful that I kept listening.

I feel like I'm becoming an atheist, though that name still rubs me the wrong way. I'm playing with the label Naturalist Freethinker. Smile

My emotions have been somewhat sad and somewhat elated. Sad because I've always self-identified as a "spiritual" person. Who am I apart from my concept of God? But I've been elated because I feel free to examine the world according to my own thoughts. I'm considering replacing my normal spiritual study and prayer time in the morning with listening to beautiful music or writing poetry. I'm a writer and an artist, so leaving woo behind may give me more time for things that truly make life beautiful.

Anyway, I realize I'm not a full-fledged atheist but I hope I can learn here and figure it all out.

Best,
Raven

Hi Raven

You can still be spiritual and be atheist. Many Buddhists are atheists. I say that not being spiritual myself. The same thought processes that lead to my deconversion from theism also leads to question all supernatural woo.
[+] 1 user Likes RogueWarrior's post
16-07-2015, 05:12 PM
My atheism doesn't impede my spirituality. By "spirituality", I mean connectedness with the Universe, and humble in my place in it, not the wooery bullshit.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
16-07-2015, 05:15 PM
Hi, Rogue,

Yes, I do agree that I could continue to be spiritual without being a theist, but probably not in the spiritual center I was attending. There are a lot of anti-vaxers and believers in all kinds of things I'm not so sure about anymore, such as all manners of "alternative" medical care, shape-shifting, tithing leading to riches, etc. What's a girl to do? Undecided

(16-07-2015 04:58 PM)RogueWarrior Wrote:  
(16-07-2015 01:05 PM)rburnes Wrote:  Hi, everyone,

I'm glad this forum exists. I'm not an atheist, at least I don't think so. However I've been moving in that direction for quite some time now. I was raised in Islam as a child then converted to fundamentalist Christianity for several years.

After my divorce I pursued eastern spirituality and ended up at Agape in Culver City, California. The message there is very nice but sometimes the woo factor would grate on me. I moved recently and it became difficult to go. In that time I continued to meditate and read on my own.

The longer I stayed away the less I wanted to go back. Eventually I started seeking out information online about atheism and checked out a bunch of books on the subject. In that time I have been soaking up lots of information. In the past I had always been turned off by many atheists. However when I found this site via YouTube, the host, Seth, was so funny and inviting and respectful that I kept listening.

I feel like I'm becoming an atheist, though that name still rubs me the wrong way. I'm playing with the label Naturalist Freethinker. Smile

My emotions have been somewhat sad and somewhat elated. Sad because I've always self-identified as a "spiritual" person. Who am I apart from my concept of God? But I've been elated because I feel free to examine the world according to my own thoughts. I'm considering replacing my normal spiritual study and prayer time in the morning with listening to beautiful music or writing poetry. I'm a writer and an artist, so leaving woo behind may give me more time for things that truly make life beautiful.

Anyway, I realize I'm not a full-fledged atheist but I hope I can learn here and figure it all out.

Best,
Raven

Hi Raven

You can still be spiritual and be atheist. Many Buddhists are atheists. I say that not being spiritual myself. The same thought processes that lead to my deconversion from theism also leads to question all supernatural woo.
16-07-2015, 05:17 PM
Hi, Thump (do you mind if I call you that?)

I like that your atheism hasn't impeded your spirituality. Lately I have had a stronger urge to get out into nature and enjoy things like art and poetry again. These things make life lovely. I just haven't found my niche yet I guess. Smile

(16-07-2015 05:12 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  My atheism doesn't impede my spirituality. By "spirituality", I mean connectedness with the Universe, and humble in my place in it, not the wooery bullshit.
16-07-2015, 05:27 PM
(16-07-2015 05:17 PM)rburnes Wrote:  Hi, Thump (do you mind if I call you that?)

I like that your atheism hasn't impeded your spirituality. Lately I have had a stronger urge to get out into nature and enjoy things like art and poetry again. These things make life lovely. I just haven't found my niche yet I guess. Smile

From personal experience, I'd say you're on the right track.
16-07-2015, 10:03 PM
No need to become an all-out atheist, anyway. It's not like we're looking for converts!

In all seriousness, I'd say most of us would agree that it's the THINKING part we're more concerned with than the ATHEIST part. Religion (but not necessarily spirituality) impedes thinking, deliberately, as a way to insulate your mind from rejecting that belief.

Atheism has no beliefs, except that the scientific method is the best-currently-known method of error-checking our facts and making sure what we do choose to believe is based on Reason rather than supposition.

We tend to attack Christians/Christianity in particular because of the effects we observe on people and on society, but even if you remain a Christian, you have shown that you are a thinking person, and will hold your beliefs (faith) only to the degree that it can be demonstrated. My Beloved is a Christian, but also a scientist, and she readily admits that she chooses to believe in the principle of salvation through Jesus (while rejecting most of the obvious "Bronze-Age-Tribal-Warrior/Sheepherder-Priest nonsense in the Wholly Babble as ... well, what it is) for no other reason than because she wants it to be true. Admits freely that she is not sure and is okay with that.

I'd call her an Agnostic Christian, as I am an Agnostic Atheist. And we're both okay with that. Whatever you choose, and wherever your spiritual journey takes you, I wish you the best in your artwork and in your life. And welcome to TTA!

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
16-07-2015, 10:09 PM
You can call yourself whatever you like. It sounds like you are on a journey and along the way that can take many forms.

Welcome aboard.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF