Atheist-curious

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-07-2015, 12:48 AM
RE: Atheist-curious
(16-07-2015 01:05 PM)rburnes Wrote:  Hi, everyone,

I'm glad this forum exists. I'm not an atheist, at least I don't think so. However I've been moving in that direction for quite some time now. I was raised in Islam as a child then converted to fundamentalist Christianity for several years.

After my divorce I pursued eastern spirituality and ended up at Agape in Culver City, California. The message there is very nice but sometimes the woo factor would grate on me. I moved recently and it became difficult to go. In that time I continued to meditate and read on my own.

The longer I stayed away the less I wanted to go back. Eventually I started seeking out information online about atheism and checked out a bunch of books on the subject. In that time I have been soaking up lots of information. In the past I had always been turned off by many atheists. However when I found this site via YouTube, the host, Seth, was so funny and inviting and respectful that I kept listening.

I feel like I'm becoming an atheist, though that name still rubs me the wrong way. I'm playing with the label Naturalist Freethinker. Smile

My emotions have been somewhat sad and somewhat elated. Sad because I've always self-identified as a "spiritual" person. Who am I apart from my concept of God? But I've been elated because I feel free to examine the world according to my own thoughts. I'm considering replacing my normal spiritual study and prayer time in the morning with listening to beautiful music or writing poetry. I'm a writer and an artist, so leaving woo behind may give me more time for things that truly make life beautiful.

Anyway, I realize I'm not a full-fledged atheist but I hope I can learn here and figure it all out.

Best,
Raven

Atheism requires nothing more than a lack of belief in a god or gods. Spirituality can stem from many beliefs, which do not necessarily require a god belief. Spirituality is also a very wide definition. What one person defines as "spiritual" could be simply feeling good vibes, or happy things. To others, spiritual things could be nature driven things. To another, something spiritual is the innate connected feeling we get with the world that surrounds us.

I do not consider myself "spiritual", but every time I go out to look at the universe or take pictures of it, I cannot help but feel that it is the closest thing to a "spiritual" experience that I can get. It's like a self portrait, if you will. To consider that the photons that have traversed the universe, our galaxy, and made their way to the sensor of my camera are all part of the same universe, the same atoms and energy that all came from the same infinitesimal point, the same singularity, is such an incredibly overwhelming feeling to me... that when I see them, I cannot help but feel connected and part of this universe. In those moments when I'm out taking those photos, nothing bothers me, nothing makes me sad, and it seems like every care in the world floats away because I realize that even once I'm dead... My atoms that my body is comprised of will still be part of this universe. I may not still be conscious. I may not still be alive, but the universe will continue without me, and with me at the same time. We're all part of it, and we're all connected in that sense.

Sometimes, I feel that if other people could understand that, people would care a lot less about such petty things, and perhaps get along. Yet here we are.

Part of me feels sadness that I know I won't get to see all the things I would like to see in the future, but part of me is excited for those that will get to see it. Life is an experience. You are the only part of the universe (that we are aware of) that is capable of experiencing it, understanding it, and enjoying it. You are, for all it's worth, another very small part of the universe, experiencing itself. That is perhaps as spiritual as I can get. I can enjoy all of these wonderful thoughts, revelations, reflections, without a god belief.

I enjoy your examination of yourself, or "self", as I think many of us go through it. One wonderful book I read that has a lot of short stories (though dated, yet still intriguing) is "The Mind's I" if you enjoy ponderings of "Self". Fun read.

Regardless, welcome to the forums and enjoy your stay.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Logisch's post
17-07-2015, 11:25 PM
Hello!
I am also born-Muslim. I became atheist for good. I researched so much on history. I even considered converting to Christianity but I am glad that I am saved. You can talk to me if you want.
[+] 3 users Like faisal6309's post
17-07-2015, 11:35 PM
Welcome to the dark side.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
17-07-2015, 11:47 PM
(17-07-2015 11:25 PM)faisal6309 Wrote:  Hello!
I am also born-Muslim. I became atheist for good. I researched so much on history. I even considered converting to Christianity but I am glad that I am saved. You can talk to me if you want.

Hey Faisal! Welcome to TTA.

You know, I never thought about it before until you said that...

The Christians spend all their time asking "Are you saved?"

Yes... yes I am. I am saved from the brainwashing and closed-mindedness of your religious outlook on the world. I don't need to accept someone else's idea of anything unless he can prove it. I don't need to look down on women, or gays, or anyone else on this planet until and unless I see them treating others (or me) badly. I understand so much more about science, sociology, and human nature than I ever did or would have as a Believer. I am saved from those who would tell me to close my mind and to fear knowledge. I have no more fear of hell, I see death as a natural part of life just like birth, and there is no subject that is taboo or closed to me for inquiry. I can have sex any way I want, as long as I am not harming another, without worries about if it's being watched and judged by some invisible being. I can love every moment of the day, embrace my family, and live my life all on my own terms, without a centuries-old rulebook from desert tribal peoples telling me the Right Way to Live™.

So yes. I am saved.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
17-07-2015, 11:59 PM (This post was last modified: 18-07-2015 12:10 AM by Bucky Ball.)
I am the Pope here. I do blessings and sell indulgences for TTA.
Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
18-07-2015, 02:55 AM
Welcome to TTA! Big Grin

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
19-07-2015, 06:14 AM
Welcome. It took me a long time to finally admit god isn't real but its worth it in the end. I've been reading so much that I think my head will explode. Lol

Some times I have to read the same thing several times to really soak in. But I love to read.

This is a great place to get all the info you could want and then some. And thus is the happiest forum I've been on. Including the Disney forum. Lol
[+] 1 user Likes purpledaisies's post
20-07-2015, 12:07 AM
We can be less happy, if that'd make you happier... er, wait...

Nevermind. Can't help yeh! Tongue

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson