Atheist defends intelligent design - and I gather he's pretty good

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-11-2010, 12:24 PM

Atheist defends intelligent design - and I gather he's pretty good
Below are links to the Discovery Institute's five podcasts of University of Colorado (Boulder) professor of the philosophy of physics Bradley Monton - who is an atheist - on why the universe might show evidence of design. Monton teamed up with another skeptic of religion, mathematician David Berlinski, against materialist atheist Lawrence Krauss and British theistic evolutionist Denis Alexander, to defend the design of the universe as an intellectually worthy idea (not just some religious schtick).
Here's more on the debate... (Continues @ Blog)

The Fine-Tuning Design Argument:
A Scientific Argument for the Existence of God
By: Robin Collins
Reprinted from Reason for the Hope Within
September 1, 1998
Quote this message in a reply
07-11-2010, 03:19 PM
RE: Atheist defends intelligent design - and I gather he's pretty good
How do we know that the universe could have been 'tuned' differently (some events after the big bang were not determined but had probabilities?)? I haven't yet gotten into the upper links and I'm not sure if I can get into them tomorrow either. The answer might be there, so forgive me for wanting an answer from someone else before searching much by myself.
The last link is interesting though, but I'm not very able to think about it clearly when this tired. :F

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-11-2010, 05:18 PM
I started listening to the Bradley Monton link and found it is based on ideas that have no scientific basis and introduces ideas that are unfounded and talks about them like they are very possible. I stopped listening at that point. If he is basing his ideas on suppositions why bother listening. Richard Dawkins bases his points on solid, supportable data and it is evident from beginning to end of his speaches.

I started reading the Fine Tuning Arguement. Thie statement:
"I do not believe that any scientists who examined the evidence would fail to draw the inference that the laws of nuclear physics have been deliberately designed with regard to the consequences they produce inside stars." IS BULLSHIT!!!!!! The fact that we exist does not prove that the laws of the universe were specifically tuned to create us. This is a megalomaniacal statement that says "I was meant to be." No true scientist in the world today would align with such an overly presumptious point of view.

These people aren't atheists. They are under cover agents who are trying to undermine the science that they disagree with. How low can religious groups go? According to history, there is no limit to their underhandedness.
07-11-2010, 05:46 PM

That could explain why the one Bradley Monton video on You Tube, doesn't permit comments. I would think a real atheist wouldn't have a problem with feedback. While a Theist poser, who knows full well atheists would strike this as fraud and a vehicle to further Creationism, by claiming to be atheist and thus finding it valid, would.

One thing for certain, it does go a long way to show how hallow their "theory" is, to go to such transparent and low levels, in order to claim other than Theists find Creationism/ID credible.

Then again, theists believe statues can weep, Mary appears in everything from grilled cheese to oxidized stone and somewhere in the middle east there's a foot print in rock, where Jesus took off for heaven!
This latest is just another example of tragic desperation.
Rolleyes
Quote this message in a reply
07-11-2010, 09:46 PM
I hate to say it but his ideas have already been refuted and possibly disproven altogether by Stephen Hawking.

He recently made a big finding on what is called M String Theory that speculates that time and space themselves compress over time and are self causing of the big bang.

I'd recommend it. It's a highly entertaining read.
07-11-2010, 10:30 PM
Anyone who won't allow comments on a youtube video is hiding something.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
07-11-2010, 11:31 PM
(07-11-2010 09:46 PM)Godless Wrote:  I hate to say it but his ideas have already been refuted and possibly disproven altogether by Stephen Hawking.

Why would you hate to say it? His ideas are bogus and you are right to mention that fact.
08-11-2010, 01:03 AM
I hate to say it because this guy is just one more scheme people are going to fall for.
09-11-2010, 01:58 AM
(08-11-2010 01:03 AM)Godless Wrote:  I hate to say it because this guy is just one more scheme people are going to fall for.

You are right. That is too bad.