Atheist discrimination

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
22-02-2010, 09:33 PM
Atheist discrimination
Hello all, and may I say that I'm a newb. A newb to this site firstly. This is my first thread, although I've replied to several others.

And also a newb to life. I'm in high school, and have only truly been an atheist for a couple years. I hear some atheists complain about discrimination for their personal beliefs. I have never meet any discrimination, but I haven't had too many chances either.

So, do you have have any stories of discrimination? How often, if ever, does it occur? It seems like it wouldn't happen too much, since it's hard to pick an atheist out of a crowd. I'm asking partly to get use to this site and socialize(No other atheists around where I live), but also because I honestly want to know what is in store for me.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-02-2010, 10:02 PM
RE: Atheist discrimination
Welcome, ashley! Glad to have you with us.

(22-02-2010 09:33 PM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  And also a newb to life. I'm in high school, and have only truly been an atheist for a couple years.

That's okay. I'm a college student myself, and I haven't been an atheist for long either.

Quote:I hear some atheists complain about discrimination for their personal beliefs. I have never meet any discrimination, but I haven't had too many chances either.

So, do you have have any stories of discrimination?

No real discrimination, but a bunch of weird looks.

Quote:How often, if ever, does it occur?

Not often, in my experience. I guess it would depend on where you are, though, and how militant the theists are there.

Quote:It seems like it wouldn't happen too much, since it's hard to pick an atheist out of a crowd.

Exactly. It's not like we have neon signs over our heads saying "Unbeliever" - oh, wait. Scratch that. It's over my little grim reaper, innit? Tongue

Quote:I'm asking partly to get use to this site and socialize(No other atheists around where I live)

I hear that.

Quote:but also because I honestly want to know what is in store for me.

Well, whatever you run in to, you can tell us. If it's just plain old insults, then you can come here to vent. If it's an argument that you can't refute, bring it here and we'll go over it with you.
After all, we are Thinking Atheists. Wink

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
22-02-2010, 10:54 PM

hey ashley, glad to have you! All I can say is this: wherever personal beliefs are involved, discrimination for those beliefs are bound to surface. The world's a sad, sick place in alot of ways and it seems people aren't interested in the Live and Let Live motto I've guided my beliefs by. Of course, like my man above said, I dont walk around with a Tshirt on that says "ATHEIST" on it. I dont shove my beliefs, because if I did I'd be no better than the people I've grown to..well, despise. I think as long as you're not wearing a sign and try to keep your views (and the expression of them) appropriate and mature, and keep your cool in the face of hostility and disgust youll be in the clear. Stand for what you believe, but dont make it a burden you need to carry.
Quote this message in a reply
23-02-2010, 02:12 PM

Hey, Ashley.

I've been an Atheist for about 3 years and, although I haven't had any external discrimination, I have had arguments with my family over it.

There is one situation that happened to my wife this past Christmas. I had given her a large list of books she could pick from to get me as a gift (books by Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, Carl Sagan, etc). While she was waiting in line at the book store to purchase "The God Delusion" and "God is not Great", a man standing behind her asked if she was an educator. She ignored the question. Although she didn't pay much attention to him, she did catch something from him condemning her for purchasing such blasphemous books.

I apologized to her for her situation (I did NOT apologize for being an Atheist), and I was rather elated with the story. How dare he say ANYTHING about an individual's choice to not believe in a fairy tale. Would he have condemned her if she held a copy of the Qu'ran in her hands? She is Orthodox Christian, and what she felt during that situation is similar to what "a Caucasian woman with an African-American man" would have felt 50 years ago (we all know that this is okay in today's world...at least for those who show TRUE tolerance).

I have a few friends at work who know I'm an Atheist, but that's about it. For one, no one really needs to know and secondly, I don't think anyone CARES to know. If it comes up in conversation, I'll speak my mind. Otherwise, I'm happy to know who I am for my self.
23-02-2010, 02:46 PM

supermanlives, I think it's great that your wife supports your beliefs. my girlfriend and I have been together 2 years now and she's a christian, and comes from a extremely religious family. We have made the decision to not discuss these differences anymore, as they came close to destroying our relationship, and my relationship with her family, who are truly great & generous people, though not as tolerant as she is. We respect each other and love each other very much but we dont dicuss religion anymore...being that she's a little incapable of discussing her views without being defensive...so is the way of the christian. she doesnt go to church or listen to the music or watch the shows, which makes it much easier to agree to disagree.
24-02-2010, 01:31 AM

Hi there,

While these are all well-known manifestations of the problem, few people appear to realize that atheists face these problems as well. Many people who demur from religion often live lives of separation from the mainstream, as my experiences illustrate. As you will see, there are ways to react to the problem of religious discrimination, subtle though it is.
24-02-2010, 02:09 PM
well,

If you consider discrimination as many people who don't see me as a Jewish because my religious beliefs, so yes-I have suffered alot from discrimination.
I asume you didn't meant discrimination in the law, but we have that in Israel too.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-02-2010, 10:02 PM

Alright this is my first post, lets get it going. I have gotten some discrimination. While I am only in high school, and have been an atheist for about 3 years, I have not received too much hate. Considering I have been a closet atheist since a few months ago there has not been alot of chance for it. Even though it has been that short of a time, I have gotten some discrimination. Such things as arguments in class and exclusion from certain groups at times. I live in the heart of the American bible belt, so almost everyone here is very religious (thing is drug rate, hate crime rate, and alcohol/drug consumption here is still fairly high...hmmm makes you wonder). I am forced to be two faced with many people though, alot of people at school I discuss things from my "Atheist side", while people at the church I am forced to go to I will put on a mask of Christianity, same for my parents who don't know. Things such as people coming up to me and saying "You just need to belive" and even teachers questioning me about it and giving me weird looks.
24-02-2010, 10:19 PM
Welcome to The Thinking Atheist, Peachy! Glad to have you with us.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
24-02-2010, 10:24 PM

thanks, I think I will enjoy it here. Considering I get kicked off of most religious sites within about 2 days.