Atheist discrimination

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
27-02-2010, 05:55 PM
RE: Atheist discrimination
Thought this might be a good thread to itroduce myself on. I am new to this site, (been lurking for a couple weeks or so), and finally decided to join. I am not, however, new to atheism. I have been "following my own moral compass" for many years, and I have encountered discrimination. It is rare in my experience, but when it happens, can be powerful. I got into a debate with another guy at work, and when the debate became more heated than I was comfortable with, I attempted to bow out in hopes of salvaging a quckly deteriorating working relationship. Unfortunately, the person with whom I was debating was accompanied by half dozen others who were also Catholic, and they decided that my refuting their beliefs was a personal attack. Long story short, I was beaten by a group of construction workers "in the name of defending their religion". I was told that I should have been more careful, and not attempt to repress peoples beliefs by my employer, and that it would be "easier to just let it go" by the authorities. Maybe an extreme case, but I have learned since, that religion and the violence that has accompanied it throughout history can trickle down to what we may see as the most innocent of conversations.

Discrimination happens, but I will never let it silence me. The hard things I've been through have taught me caution and tact, but I still believe that religion is not only wrong, but harmful, and for those reasons, I will always support the atheist community, and attempt to share with others the freedom that comes with it!

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
27-02-2010, 06:28 PM
Welcome, Stark! Sorry to hear that you've had such a bad experience.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
28-02-2010, 08:06 AM

In Israel we must study the bible to go to the university, even if you're an atheist. That simply sucks.
In Israel, there's a 24 hours of not eating or drinking (I believe it's called fasting). That includes no driving or using electricity. That sucks. :/ Now if someone catches you - well, it would be like going to the bronx in NY and say: "F... america". You would probably get stabbed in the back. ;o
Quote this message in a reply
28-02-2010, 11:09 AM
(28-02-2010 08:06 AM)HurricaneIL Wrote:  In Israel we must study the bible to go to the university, even if you're an atheist. That simply sucks.
In Israel, there's a 24 hours of not eating or drinking (I believe it's called fasting). That includes no driving or using electricity. That sucks. :/ Now if someone catches you - well, it would be like going to the bronx in NY and say: "F... america". You would probably get stabbed in the back. ;o

OMG! this is totally exagerated! I don't know where you live, but every Yom Kippur I eat and use electricity and no one ever told me anything about it, including my family. No one's driving in Yom Kippur because this is what most people, including me, think what should be. and because we're atheists and fully support in democracy-you should agree with that too. Anyway, if the "democracy" argument didn't convince you-see Yom Kipur as free-polution day. 24 hours with no car working, think how much polution we prevented considering we have 2 milion cars in Israel every day in the roads.....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-06-2010, 01:55 AM

Nobody who denies that God created all men equally and endowed them with certain inalienable right ought to be allowed to hold pubic office, since that simple non denominational non-Christian non-Jewish non-Muslim merely theistic statement is the foundation of the whole frigin’ nation.
Quote this message in a reply
24-06-2010, 02:08 AM
(28-02-2010 08:06 AM)HurricaneIL Wrote:  In Israel we must study the bible to go to the university, even if you're an atheist. That simply sucks.

I feel your pain. I live on a religious moshav and they close it to cars every shabbat. It's like we become Luddites once a week, every week.

You don't get rich writing science fiction. If you want to get rich, you start a religion. - L. Ron Hubbard (Creater of Scientology)