"Atheist don't really get disowned by their families"!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-11-2013, 05:48 PM
RE: "Atheist don't really get disowned by their families"!
Next: "Those who disowned aren't true Christians. That's not what Christ would do."

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
06-11-2013, 06:02 PM
Why is it that big of a stretch? I think most of us have known someone who has been disowned because of their sexuality, which I'm pretty sure is less of a sin than being a non-believer. (I mean, we're all supposed to be stoned to death, so being disowned really doesn't sound so bad...).

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
06-11-2013, 07:29 PM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2013 07:35 PM by sporehux.)
Ex muslims have a little more to worry about then being disowned.

“The Prophet said: whoever discards his religion, kill him.”

Good luck interpreting that in a PC way.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
06-11-2013, 08:39 PM
One of the more annoying things about fundies especially is they see themselves as persecuted, especially with gay rights in the news. If they stop short of disowning, they definitely don't want you around the kids, encouraging them to think.

Christians in general love to accuse Mormons and JWs of ostracizing apostates, but while perhaps less overt the peer and family pressure is comparable.
06-11-2013, 09:20 PM
(06-11-2013 05:48 PM)Hafnof Wrote:  Next: "Those who disowned aren't true Christians. That's not what Christ would do."

Except for Luke 14:26 when Jesus said “If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even their own life—such a person cannot be my disciple."

But like you said, Christ wouldn't do that so he must have meant something other than what he actually said. We better go back the Greek text or look at the historical context. Rolleyes

Seriously though, I sat in on my parent's Sunday school class and their teacher told how she basically shunned her nephew for living with a woman to whom he wasn't married, and it led to similar anecdotes from other members of the class all from the perspective that it was the Godly way to respond to people who were living in sin.

That's a big reason I haven't told my parents yet. On one hand, they've been loving parents and have always been there for me, but they've never had to decide between God and me and based on how literally I know they take the Bible, I don't know what they'd choose. It really shouldn't even be an either/or decision, but I know it often turns into that.

Another reason is that I just don't want to hear my mom cry because she thinks I'll be going to hell. That will be hard.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post
06-11-2013, 09:48 PM
(06-11-2013 09:20 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  
(06-11-2013 05:48 PM)Hafnof Wrote:  Next: "Those who disowned aren't true Christians. That's not what Christ would do."

Except for Luke 14:26 when Jesus said “If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even their own life—such a person cannot be my disciple."

And 2 Corinthians 6:14 Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness?

Yep, we are lawlessness and darkness. Hey, those epithets aren't divisive at all! Can't make this shit up.
06-11-2013, 09:57 PM
Or how about where Jesus straight up says in Luke 19:27
"But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them--bring them here and kill them in front of me.'"

Jesus would have them do worse that shun us. He would have them murder us as he sadistically watches. ...but he's a "god" of love...

Or the entire OT that is almost about nothing but killing nonbelievers.

07-11-2013, 06:05 AM
(06-11-2013 09:57 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  Or how about where Jesus straight up says in Luke 19:27
"But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them--bring them here and kill them in front of me.'"

Jesus would have them do worse that shun us. He would have them murder us as he sadistically watches. ...but he's a "god" of love...

Oh, you're just taking it out of context. Shocking

Stupid atheists. Angry

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
07-11-2013, 07:56 AM
(07-11-2013 06:05 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(06-11-2013 09:57 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  Or how about where Jesus straight up says in Luke 19:27

Oh, you're just taking it out of context. Shocking

Stupid atheists. Angry

Followed by "it doesn't say that!"

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
07-11-2013, 08:03 AM
(07-11-2013 07:56 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(07-11-2013 06:05 AM)Chas Wrote:  Oh, you're just taking it out of context. Shocking

Stupid atheists. Angry

Followed by "it doesn't say that!"

Followed by your reading it to them directly out of the bible, and them replying, "That was for a different culture. That wasn't ment for us." or "It means a metophorical killing, a spiritual death due to their seperation from God".