Atheist eclipse party?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-04-2016, 08:26 AM
Atheist eclipse party?
My first only clear weather total solar eclipse was 46 years ago on March 7 1970. So I’ve been reservedly excited about the possibilities for the upcoming August 21 2017 eclipse because it is going to be close enough to put myself in the path relatively easily. I was wondering if anyone in the South East part of the US might be interested in getting together. We were planning on an area I’m familiar with in the mountains of southwest North Carolina. It is beautiful country and a bit of a motorcycle Mecca for any riders out there. But I’m not married to that area and might be open to other places if some of you are interested.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Popeye's Pappy's post
22-04-2016, 08:53 AM
RE: Atheist eclipse party?
Hmm. I'll keep it in mind. I won't know my schedule for a while.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
22-04-2016, 08:59 AM
Atheist eclipse party?
What part in the mountains? I haven't been there in a long time, and in the western part I really only go to Charlotte and Asheville.
22-04-2016, 09:54 AM
Oregon is in it's path. It will hit land out on the beach at Newport and since it's in August the weather is usually great that time of year. I'd be nice to go to the coast anyway, it would be double the fun.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
22-04-2016, 10:29 AM (This post was last modified: 22-04-2016 10:37 AM by Chas.)
[Image: Eclipse2017_USA]
[Image: Eclipse-Times.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
22-04-2016, 10:32 AM
Maximum totality will be NW of Hopkinsville, KY in some farmer's driveway starting at 18:24:11.9 UT and lasting for 2:40.1 - I've been planning the trip for years. So far I have not been able to make hotel reservations that far ahead. I'm going to get serious about it this summer. I'm afraid Hopkinsville will be booked up. Puducah will be acceptable.

Sapere aude
22-04-2016, 10:32 AM
(22-04-2016 10:29 AM)Chas Wrote:  [Image: Eclipse-Times.jpg]

Partial? I thought this was going to be a total eclipse?
22-04-2016, 10:38 AM
(22-04-2016 10:32 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(22-04-2016 10:29 AM)Chas Wrote:  [Image: Eclipse-Times.jpg]

Partial? I thought this was going to be a total eclipse?

I believe that means time of first contact. It will be total all along the stripe.

Wikipedia Wrote:The first contact occurs when the Moon's disc first starts to impinge on the Sun's; second contact is when the Moon's disc moves completely within the Sun's; third contact when it starts to move out of the Sun's; and fourth or last contact when it finally leaves the Sun's disc entirely.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-04-2016, 10:42 AM
(22-04-2016 08:59 AM)Clockwork Wrote:  What part in the mountains? I haven't been there in a long time, and in the western part I really only go to Charlotte and Asheville.

I really wanted to watch from someplace on the Cherohala Skyway, but I'm afraid all the pull offs will be too full to get into. By chance we'll be at the Quality Inn in Andrews, NC this Memorial Day weekend for some riding. According to the map it's about 200 yards from the center of the path and there's some kind of track right across the road that looks like it would be a good place to set up for viewing. We'll check it out when we are there to see if that might be a good place. Andrews is tiny though so I'm not sure if there's even a decent place to eat in town at this point.

22-04-2016, 10:54 AM
(22-04-2016 10:32 AM)f stop Wrote:  Maximum totality will be NW of Hopkinsville, KY in some farmer's driveway starting at 18:24:11.9 UT and lasting for 2:40.1 - I've been planning the trip for years. So far I have not been able to make hotel reservations that far ahead. I'm going to get serious about it this summer. I'm afraid Hopkinsville will be booked up. Puducah will be acceptable.

I could do Paducah. Some place around Nashville would work too. Another option in Tennessee is Fall Creek Falls State Park. It's a little off mid path but you'd only lose a few seconds of total eclipse time. There is a nice Inn there. They also have cabins and a lot of camping areas.