Atheist flag, motto, hymn, oath and symbol

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-09-2015, 11:35 AM
RE: Atheist flag, motto, hymn, oath and symbol
(06-09-2015 09:59 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Atheism doesn't need anthems, flags, mottos or any of that rubbish. It's too reminiscent of religion and all their nonsense. Ick!
I completely agree.

Pick a debate between a religious adherent and an atheist. Any debate. Check out the attire. 100% of the time the atheist(s) attire is everyday attire, whether casual or formal, there's nothing about the atheist(s)' clothing that calls attention to their atheism.

But the religious debater(s) most of the time are in the costume of their sect. Their clothing is a flag: This Is Who I Am.

To my eye it makes the religious side one-dimensional, and one-eyed as well. Before they speak a word they've already marred their credibility, signaled that their bias is not subject to revision. I feel similarly to seeing the military wear their uniforms in non-military venues. It's a flag hoisted above a rampart; defensive.

To be honest I'm opposed to flags themselves in any context. But I particularly would oppose a flag that supposedly represented freedom of mind. I couldn't think of a more perfect oxymoron.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Airportkid's post
06-09-2015, 01:39 PM
Rolleyes

Nah, I want a flag. We can write FLAG on it so everyone knows what it is.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
06-09-2015, 01:39 PM
(06-09-2015 09:59 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Atheism doesn't need anthems, flags, mottos or any of that rubbish. It's too reminiscent of religion and all their nonsense. Ick!
Of course they do. Symbols help to explain things. When you have anthems, flags, mottos or any of that rubbish, people can understand better and remember better what atheism stands for.
"Bench" of atheists is great symbol.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
06-09-2015, 01:51 PM
(06-09-2015 01:39 PM)morondog Wrote:  Rolleyes

Nah, I want a flag. We can write FLAG on it so everyone knows what it is.

[Image: 11085098_1564067990521041_45789751_n.jpg]

Sums up my thoughts on magical thinking.

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
06-09-2015, 01:51 PM
(06-09-2015 01:39 PM)Alla Wrote:  When you have anthems, flags, mottos or any of that rubbish, people can understand better and remember better what atheism stands for.

Atheism doesn't "stand for" anything.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
06-09-2015, 02:04 PM
(06-09-2015 01:51 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(06-09-2015 01:39 PM)Alla Wrote:  When you have anthems, flags, mottos or any of that rubbish, people can understand better and remember better what atheism stands for.

Atheism doesn't "stand for" anything.

Name anything. I won't stand for it!

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
06-09-2015, 02:15 PM
How about a clear flag with nothing on it?
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
06-09-2015, 02:34 PM
(06-09-2015 02:15 PM)pablo Wrote:  How about a clear flag with nothing on it?

But not white , it represents surrender. We need a different color. All green is already taken too.

Maybe something that looks like a night sky with stars , like the universe Consider

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
06-09-2015, 02:37 PM
(06-09-2015 02:34 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  
(06-09-2015 02:15 PM)pablo Wrote:  How about a clear flag with nothing on it?

But not white , it represents surrender. We need a different color. All green is already taken too.

Maybe something that looks like a night sky with stars , like the universe Consider

Clear, as in see through.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
06-09-2015, 02:47 PM
(06-09-2015 02:37 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(06-09-2015 02:34 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  But not white , it represents surrender. We need a different color. All green is already taken too.

Clear, as in see through.

Hmmm, that would be interesting, although it would bring some technical issues...like , it would be hard to see it.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 1 user Likes Slowminded's post