Atheist from West Virginia

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-08-2014, 12:28 PM
Atheist from West Virginia
Hey gang, I am a long time semi-closeted atheist from southern West Virginia. I am still somewhat "in the closet" because this is definitely not the popular position in my area and I am concerned that I would almost certainly be negatively impacted by "coming out". I am a Civil Engineer and began working at a firm in Charleston, WV. I immediately noticed the majority of my coworkers were not only religious, but they were actually young earth creationists. It was obvious that I did not share their views, but this did not stop them from giving me books and explaining at length the views that I "should" agree with. My direct supervisor was a geologist and praised The Creation Museum, in Kentucky. Yes, he was a Geologist!! He actually argued that carbon dating was wrong, and that humans and dinosaurs literally walked the earth together.... I lost all respect for his scientific beliefs and eventually could not work there any longer. I asked my Mother-in-law "how do you know that god exists, what if you are wrong and the Muslims are correct?" Her answer was emphatically "Because he does!" "There is no other possibility, period!" She is more sure that god exists than she is that the sky is blue. Because the sky may be orange, but god makes you see it as blue because he can, of course. I bring up these two stories because it is so common in the area that I live. The bible belt is strangling me!!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like calvinhebb's post
10-08-2014, 01:00 AM
RE: Atheist from West Virginia
Welcome! Dive right in and find some comfort in like minds!

I know what it's like there in the bible belt, it's why I got out. Just keep being you. I think it's good for those so entrenched in their religion to see someone who's outside of it.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
10-08-2014, 07:57 AM
Welcome. Here is your welcome eel.

[Image: conger_eel.jpg]

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
10-08-2014, 07:58 AM
Welcome aboard Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
10-08-2014, 08:01 AM
Author David Mills who wrote "Atheist Universe" is also from WVA.

Anywho, be sure to barbecue kittens, record the NFL without their permission and rip the tags off of your mattress.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-08-2014, 08:59 AM
Welcome, have a cupcake and a smile, enjoy the logical side of the web...

[Image: 2cpe32u.jpg]

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
10-08-2014, 08:49 PM
Welcome to the most amazing place in the universe! We look forward to getting to know you and eagerly await your next contribution to this first class discussion board chock full of incredibly heroic people!

Have a cookie:
[Image: cookie-cookiecrumb.jpg]
10-08-2014, 08:58 PM
Welcome Calvin! Glad you made it here.
10-08-2014, 11:03 PM
(09-08-2014 12:28 PM)calvinhebb Wrote:  Hey gang, I am a long time semi-closeted atheist from southern West Virginia. I am still somewhat "in the closet" because this is definitely not the popular position in my area and I am concerned that I would almost certainly be negatively impacted by "coming out". The bible belt is strangling me!!

Hiya calvinhebb!

Yikes...the WVA bible belt......
[Image: 10342405_761947943826148_5190099018807051723_n.jpg]

Laugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out load

Have quite a few cousins in WVA, and they are all hardcore southern baptists! My heart goes out to you, and I sure as hell do not blame you for keeping this quiet. Unsure

I had the audacity once to disagree with a bible verse one of them posted on facebook. It got really ugly, really fast. Yes

Nice to have you join us. Welcome!

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain
11-08-2014, 05:54 AM
Welcome to TTA.

I was in WV years ago, driving back country roads looking for a swimming hole not far from Coopers Rock SP. Came across the old woman living in a shack. She was standing in the road with a hatchet in her hand. My father decided to stop the car to say hello. She said she saw a black snake and was trying to kill it ( she had a trash dump for a front yard). My dad tried talking her out of it. The she got pissed off, came up real close to him in the car window with a crazed look on her face ( I thought we were about to die) and she says " you gots to kill the snakes or they'll charm you ! And you'll be done for!"

And in that note we left before the banjo music started.

Oh yeah, WV - I got a lot of crazy stories from that state even though I've never lived there. LOL

Pull up a chair, keep an eye out for snakes.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller