Atheist funeral instructions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-08-2016, 09:15 AM
Atheist funeral instructions
Someone posted this photo in the Reddit atheist forum. I don't know the details but this is what the family asked from the mourners.

http://imgur.com/6NGtIfT

Thumbsup

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like dancefortwo's post
29-08-2016, 09:26 AM
RE: Atheist funeral instructions
Oh, there are more.

He is sitting next to god watching out for you...

He is in a better place now...

God called one of his beloved angels back...

He is united with Tom, Dick and Harry again...

And if I cared to think about it any longer, there would be more.

This babble is what originally drove me to come here... made me crazy!

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
29-08-2016, 09:36 AM
(29-08-2016 09:26 AM)Dom Wrote:  Oh, there are more.

He is sitting next to god watching out for you...

He is in a better place now...

God called one of his beloved angels back...

He is united with Tom, Dick and Harry again...

And if I cared to think about it any longer, there would be more.

This babble is what originally drove me to come here... made me crazy!

I see this on the news all the time when a child dies and families are interviewed about the tragedy. Like you said, "Oh, god wanted another angel" is usually what the sobbing family says. What a horrible god. If he's able to bring up a child into heaven then he should be able to keep the child alive.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
29-08-2016, 10:13 AM
"I'll pray for his soul." Good, you do that. May it bring YOU some comfort.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr. Boston's post
29-08-2016, 10:15 AM
When someone close to me loses someone close to them, instead of thoughts and prayers and good vibes I typically offer a crock pot full of food. I haven't had bad feedback on this method of grief-relief yet.
[+] 6 users Like Mr. Boston's post
29-08-2016, 11:03 AM
(29-08-2016 09:15 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Someone posted this photo in the Reddit atheist forum. I don't know the details but this is what the family asked from the mourners.

http://imgur.com/6NGtIfT

Thumbsup
Awesome! I'm using that or at least putting it in my will to done. I've already said that I want to be cremated and my ashes planted along with a wild Cherry tree in my home state of Virginia. I've killed enough of them in my work it's only right to put some back.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 2 users Like true scotsman's post
29-08-2016, 11:12 AM
Part of the frustration for me with religious funerals and memorials is what I see as explaining away the death and loss. It seems like they are saying that you shouldn't be sad because this is what gawd wants and therefore is the right thing.

I don't know it I am explaining what I mean clearly...but to say some of the trite, but standard, religion-based clichés are so freakin' empty and meaningless.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
29-08-2016, 11:50 AM
(29-08-2016 11:12 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Part of the frustration for me with religious funerals and memorials is what I see as explaining away the death and loss. It seems like they are saying that you shouldn't be sad because this is what gawd wants and therefore is the right thing.

I don't know it I am explaining what I mean clearly...but to say some of the trite, but standard, religion-based clichés are so freakin' empty and meaningless.

I know what you are saying, and let me just say that it definitely does NOT help the believers either.

Grief is not just a mental thing, major grief is also physical. These attempts to remove the reason for grief de-validate the persons feelings, and since grief cannot be controlled, it then makes the person feel bad about feeling bad.

That is not what a grieving person needs. They need support, they don't need to be told that their feelings are pointless.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
29-08-2016, 12:10 PM
After my uncles funeral earlier this year one of my cousins said to me:

"I much preferred your Mums funeral, it was about how wonderful she was, not about how wonderful god is. I want my funeral to be like hers."

What do you mean Life is short. It's the longest thing you're going to do.
[+] 6 users Like stevec's post
29-08-2016, 12:38 PM
I appreciate seeing an example of a secular funeral, I would also want to remove any sayings like:

"You will see them again someday." and "They are still watching over you."

These both sound nice but what if you truly believed you would see them again and they are not really dead but just away from you then why grieve at all? Also to believe they are still around you somehow, so they are technically still alive? Obviously even religious people can feel deep sadness knowing they won't see their loved one again in this lifetime. Better to focus on their life and memories.

I've been asked by Xians why I feel sad after a loss if I don't believe in God, why do theists think they own grief or they are the only ones who can truly feel it or understand it. If anything they never really have to face it like we do. We know they are gone forever, that's very hard to deal with but I'd rather deal with it instead of making up fantasies to make it feel better.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like SitaSky's post