Atheist funeral instructions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-08-2016, 07:09 PM
RE: Atheist funeral instructions
I attended the funeral of an old man I had known all of my life. I had been in Costa Rica for over a year, and he died just a day before I returned home to Texas. I barely made the funeral, his wife actually put it off for a day to give me time. The old man- Allen- was like a 2nd father to me. (This was back in 1987)

Although we had spent a lot of time together, and he had taught me so many things- how to heliarc weld aluminum, how to hand make formed sheet metal pieces, etc...kind of an old school craftsman, with a nod towards modern equipment...
although we often talked about deep things as we tinkered, he even helped me with girl problems...we had never, ever discussed religion.

At his funeral, I discovered he was an atheist. Everyone got a drink, we sat around telling stories about Allen and drinking...everyone slowly got a little loaded, the stories got funnier and more...let's say R and X rated, lol...

This went on until everybody was talked out, and wound down...then it briefly got a bit melancholy as people said goodbye to him and gave their condolences to his wife and daughters. Everyone slowly left as they sobered up, basically...the closest friends and family sat around talking in a more subdued fashion and drinking coffee, telling more stories, these of the "what a great guy" variety. (He was)

It was the best funeral I have ever attended. We spent all evening talking about Allen and celebrating his life, and saying goodbye, not to his soul, but to our ability to spend time with him.

That's for me. Cool
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 10 users Like The Dark One's post
29-08-2016, 07:41 PM
(29-08-2016 12:10 PM)stevec Wrote:  After my uncles funeral earlier this year one of my cousins said to me:

"I much preferred your Mums funeral, it was about how wonderful she was, not about how wonderful god is. I want my funeral to be like hers."
Hi Steve,
Yes, I feel the same. We unfortunately attended a funeral for an atheist friend of ours who passed way too young at just 32. Most of the attendees seemed to be unbelievers and it was a mistake IMO for not having a celebrant service for her.

None of my business of course, but that's what I felt and I'm sure others did by the comments at the wake.

The pastor spoke briefly about not knowing her and commented on a Google search of her name! He then went into a half hour rambling sermon and then said he wished to interpret a verse from Revelation 21. To be fair he didn't mention the unbelieving and the "lake which burneth with fire and brimstone", but I reckon that's where he was going.

He just hijacked the whole thing for an opportunity to preach.
[+] 2 users Like Firefighter01's post
30-08-2016, 01:38 AM
At my Dad's funeral a few years ago, my Mum remarked how ironic it was that my brother and me (both atheists) gave him eulogies that were more meaningful and far funnier than anything said at the funerals of his contemporaries. The service was held in his church - he was a xtian and a regular church-goer - but the preacher lay off any of the heavy god-stuff too. He knew that my Dad was very cynical about much that organised religion brings to the world. At the conclusion of each of the eulogies - my brother's, the preacher's and my own - we had a resounding round of applause from the congregation.

I like to think that it was what my Dad would have enjoyed - some reminiscences, funny stories and fond memories.

In contrast one of my Dad's close friends died a few months ago and I attended the funeral, it was one of the most miserable affairs I've been to with both the minister and the deceased's brother-in-law (a lay preacher) droning on and on about god and love and similar crap. I couldn't get away quick enough.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
[+] 1 user Likes Silly Deity's post
30-08-2016, 03:47 PM
(29-08-2016 07:41 PM)Firefighter01 Wrote:  
(29-08-2016 12:10 PM)stevec Wrote:  After my uncles funeral earlier this year one of my cousins said to me:

"I much preferred your Mums funeral, it was about how wonderful she was, not about how wonderful god is. I want my funeral to be like hers."
Hi Steve,
Yes, I feel the same. We unfortunately attended a funeral for an atheist friend of ours who passed way too young at just 32. Most of the attendees seemed to be unbelievers and it was a mistake IMO for not having a celebrant service for her.

None of my business of course, but that's what I felt and I'm sure others did by the comments at the wake.

The pastor spoke briefly about not knowing her and commented on a Google search of her name! He then went into a half hour rambling sermon and then said he wished to interpret a verse from Revelation 21. To be fair he didn't mention the unbelieving and the "lake which burneth with fire and brimstone", but I reckon that's where he was going.

He just hijacked the whole thing for an opportunity to preach.

Hello Firefighter01,
Yes, that sounds very like my uncles funeral. "God did this...God did that...Ronnie worked on a farm once.....God let things grow.....God did more of this......Ashes to ashes.......
We had a celebrant for Mum and a burial in a woodland site. Cherry tree to mark the grave and a small slate plaque with her details on it. Not a single person mentioned god or angels, they knew better than that!

What do you mean Life is short. It's the longest thing you're going to do.
31-08-2016, 07:18 AM
(29-08-2016 05:18 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I am sorry for your loss. Heart

(29-08-2016 05:55 PM)Fireball Wrote:  I'm sorry to see of your loss of your grandfather, as well. Hug Same thing happened at my FIL's funeral. Dodgy

Thanks guys. Hug

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.