Atheist getting baptised/christened

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-08-2015, 06:32 PM
Atheist getting baptised/christened
Been an atheist for roughly 8 years I'd say,
Only this year has it become a problem with family due to them becoming born again Christians.
I've recently had a discussion with a family member where pretty much was said that if I am baptised I'll recieve the Holy Spirit and feel the love of God.
No matter how many times I say it will literally do nothing and I'll still be an atheist. If anything a bigger atheist because I'll read more and more into the bible and then have more and more information to use against them
All I want to know is.
Does this make me an arsehole? my ex gf was a Christian and when she found out ripped me a new arsehole and got really upset that i would do such a thing because I'm not religio because it's mocking her religion.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Luke.furlong's post
24-08-2015, 06:54 PM
RE: Atheist getting baptised/christened
It doesn't make you an asshole. You are not a Christian, you don't want to be a Christian. Part of being an atheist is putting up with BS like this unfortunately.

I would just say my answer is no and will always be no. Please do not ask me again. I hope you can accept the choices I have made in life--and if you can't--well, I won't lose any sleep over it. I would then direct them to their Bible and tell them to look at the passages that say not to judge others...
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
24-08-2015, 06:59 PM
But it doesn't seem to matter how many times I say no my family will just go with the whole " you're just scared that what you believe is wrong and you'll feel the lord and become a born again Christian"
So my plan was to go and be baptised just to prove a point that it has had no affect what so ever on my life.
I think my family is under the impression that this is a "phase" and eventually I'll stop being an atheist and join them in church.
24-08-2015, 07:01 PM
Her religion deserves to be mocked, so there's that.

If you're a minor and still at home, then no, you're kinda stuck. If not... well, I wouldn't do it. I'd tell 'em to go fly a kite. With a key. In a thunderstorm. Angel

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
24-08-2015, 07:02 PM
(24-08-2015 06:59 PM)Luke.furlong Wrote:  But it doesn't seem to matter how many times I say no my family will just go with the whole " you're just scared that what you believe is wrong and you'll feel the lord and become a born again Christian"
So my plan was to go and be baptised just to prove a point that it has had no affect what so ever on my life.
I think my family is under the impression that this is a "phase" and eventually I'll stop being an atheist and join them in church.

If you give into them, they'll think their bullying worked--and then probably won't stop--especially now that you've shown them that their persistence worked.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
24-08-2015, 07:07 PM
I'm not a minor, I'm 24
I think it's time I tell them that actually houseofcantor.
Yeah that's a good point Jenny.
[+] 3 users Like Luke.furlong's post
24-08-2015, 07:32 PM
(24-08-2015 07:07 PM)Luke.furlong Wrote:  I'm not a minor, I'm 24
I think it's time I tell them that actually houseofcantor.
Yeah that's a good point Jenny.

Think about how you'll feel later ... 1 year, 5 years, 10 years.
It doesn't have to be a "scene". Just say you need more time to think about it. And never do it. 24 year olds should be independent adults. You probably should stand up to them. Be polite. Just say, you won't discuss it any longer. You may regret being bullied by them. Tell them you're sorry free-thinkers are a threat to them. Rolleyes

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
24-08-2015, 07:43 PM
I would be inclined to say, "Sure, I'll get baptized as many times as you want for $500 a pop. If you want me baptized 10 or more times, I'll give you a volume discount and do it for $400 a whack. Cash only."
[+] 4 users Like Black Eagle's post
24-08-2015, 07:59 PM
(24-08-2015 06:32 PM)Luke.furlong Wrote:  Been an atheist for roughly 8 years I'd say,
Only this year has it become a problem with family due to them becoming born again Christians.
I've recently had a discussion with a family member where pretty much was said that if I am baptised I'll recieve the Holy Spirit and feel the love of God.
No matter how many times I say it will literally do nothing and I'll still be an atheist. If anything a bigger atheist because I'll read more and more into the bible and then have more and more information to use against them
All I want to know is.
Does this make me an arsehole? my ex gf was a Christian and when she found out ripped me a new arsehole and got really upset that i would do such a thing because I'm not religio because it's mocking her religion.

Just tell them you are not doing it and then....don't do it.
If you don't want to do their religion then don't. If they have an ounce of respect for you, they will not try to physically force you too.

The next time the topic comes up, just ask them if they would ever do a similar form of baptism in the name of a god other than Jesus or "god" ( yahweh ) If they say no, tell them that they now know how you feel about NOT wanting to get baptized in the name of the god they themselves worship that you don't.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 2 users Like Shadow Fox's post
24-08-2015, 08:01 PM
"I'm just sitting here, minding my own shit, getting heckled by someone else because I won't do stuff from a religion which I don't believe in. That doesn't make me hateful. It makes me harassed. Heckling and harassing me more doesn't make me want to accommodate my hecklers and harassers. It just makes me want to get them out of my life."
[+] 6 users Like Reltzik's post