Atheist getting baptised/christened

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-08-2015, 11:56 PM
RE: Atheist getting baptised/christened
If they really think it'll give you the direct line to the holy ghost, I'd do it and tell them that "if I'm still an atheist after baptism then they have to accept it".

I think it's a stupid ritual but I don't fear it changing my perspective. A little water and blabbering from the preacher ain't changing nothing. And then I'd use it against them anytime the subject is brought up.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-08-2015, 12:23 AM
To really demonstrate how it's not having an effect, bring some soap and have a bath.

Record it and upload it on youtube to make the whole thing profitable.
25-08-2015, 12:58 AM
(24-08-2015 06:32 PM)Luke.furlong Wrote:  my ex gf was a Christian and when she found out ripped me a new arsehole and got really upset that i would do such a thing because I'm not religio because it's mocking her religion.

I like the color orange, guess I'm mocking all those people who like green?

I also like milk chocolate, so I guess that's offensive and/or mocking to those who like white and/or dark chocolate?

That's like getting pissed that someone's favorite TV channel is "off", for fuck's sake... Facepalm

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
25-08-2015, 06:09 AM
It doesnt make you an ashole. What will happen is that if you get baptized to shut them up and they see that you are still a heathen, they will simply come up with some other excuse as to why it did not work. By bet is that it will be something like the spirit didn't come into you in order to show it's "power." If they are REALLY fundie however, you may also be the devil.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
25-08-2015, 06:26 AM
I was baptized when I was a kid. I felt nothing. But after my baptism I was allowed join in having little tiny crackers and grape juice when they passed them around, instead of just watching everyone else....so I was kind of pumped about that.

If they keep asking you why you won't join them, ask them why they won't join Islam. Then they'll have their answer.
[+] 1 user Likes Matt Finney's post
25-08-2015, 06:26 AM
If you did allow yourself to get baptised then they would just say that you weren't taking it seriously.

I've often thought about this because I was once pressured to go to my born again Christian brother's church. I won't go into the details but I came out about a life long secret and I was the one needing support but I ended up having to fulfil obligations to everyone else. My mother insisted I get hypnotherapy. My brother insisted I go to his church one day.

It was an evangelical church, people were praying for promotion at work and all kinds of selfish things while being all happy, clappy and dancing around. It was certainly nothing that I could identify with. And when it got to the point where they were calling people to the front to be touched by God (point to the doll where God touched you my son) my brother tried to encourage me to go down and seemed quite disappointed when I said no. He had never said that this was also expected of me.

It occurred to me that I could go down to demonstrate that it's a waste of time, but having hundreds of eyes on you expecting you to join the fantasy adds an incredible amount of peer pressure to play along. This is why stage hypnotism works. If you go along with it then you will feel weak-minded and a fraud who sold out and your self esteem takes a massive hit. If you don't go along with it then you feel like an arsehole for ruining everyone's make believe.

It's actually a no-win situation unless you are thick skinned enough to stand up there and demonstrate it as being a load of crap. But if you are thick skinned enough to do that then it's actually just easier to tell people to fuck off to begin with.

In hindsight I should have just told my brother and mother "don't be so bloody stupid" but I was in a vulnerable place at the time.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
25-08-2015, 08:37 AM
Every baptism I've seen involved some kind of statement of faith. Do they want you to lie? And if you tell the truth, would the pastor still baptize you?

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
25-08-2015, 08:38 AM
What would make you an asshole is if as you were being baptized you screamed "Oh satan, lord of the underworld, I feel your presence..." Not that I am suggesting you do that, although I would pay $500 to see it.
[+] 1 user Likes Iñigo's post
25-08-2015, 09:15 AM
(25-08-2015 08:38 AM)Iñigo Wrote:  What would make you an asshole is if as you were being baptized you screamed "Oh satan, lord of the underworld, I feel your presence..." Not that I am suggesting you do that, although I would pay $500 to see it.

You could just start screaming "it burns! it burns! get it off me!". Of course, they'd probably then run a stake through your heart or something.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
25-08-2015, 09:16 AM
(25-08-2015 09:15 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(25-08-2015 08:38 AM)Iñigo Wrote:  What would make you an asshole is if as you were being baptized you screamed "Oh satan, lord of the underworld, I feel your presence..." Not that I am suggesting you do that, although I would pay $500 to see it.

You could just start screaming "it burns! it burns! get it off me!". Of course, they'd probably then run a stake through your heart or something.

It's all fun and games 'til a mofo gets burned at the stake. Angel

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post