Atheist getting baptised/christened

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-08-2015, 09:28 AM
RE: Atheist getting baptised/christened
Ask your family if it matters which god you get baptised to. After all, you can't just assume these things ...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
25-08-2015, 09:30 AM
(25-08-2015 09:15 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(25-08-2015 08:38 AM)Iñigo Wrote:  What would make you an asshole is if as you were being baptized you screamed "Oh satan, lord of the underworld, I feel your presence..." Not that I am suggesting you do that, although I would pay $500 to see it.

You could just start screaming "it burns! it burns! get it off me!". Of course, they'd probably then run a stake through your heart or something.

Palm an Alka Seltzer and pop it in your mouth as they dunk you...

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 4 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
25-08-2015, 01:18 PM (This post was last modified: 25-08-2015 02:12 PM by Tonechaser77.)
(24-08-2015 06:59 PM)Luke.furlong Wrote:  But it doesn't seem to matter how many times I say no my family will just go with the whole " you're just scared that what you believe is wrong and you'll feel the lord and become a born again Christian"
So my plan was to go and be baptised just to prove a point that it has had no affect what so ever on my life.
I think my family is under the impression that this is a "phase" and eventually I'll stop being an atheist and join them in church.

State this to them:

If the Holy Spirit speaks to you, then you should be able to ask what it needs to say to you to convince me that your experience is accurately attributed to it (holy spirit) and not anything else like, hallucinations, subconscious, your own vice in your head, etc.

Since they can't tell you anything that will convince you then they need to drop it. Don't let them bully you around. You can politely attack the viewpoint and not the person.

**Crickets** -- God
[+] 1 user Likes Tonechaser77's post
25-08-2015, 01:44 PM
(25-08-2015 09:30 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(25-08-2015 09:15 AM)unfogged Wrote:  You could just start screaming "it burns! it burns! get it off me!". Of course, they'd probably then run a stake through your heart or something.

Palm an Alka Seltzer and pop it in your mouth as they dunk you...

Or you could have a nice bowl of pea soup beforehand Tongue

[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
25-08-2015, 02:32 PM
Okay. All joking aside.

A baptism isn't just a silly ceremony. It's an initiation. It's saying that you accept the tenets of the church and that you're willing to join. Leaving out all the supernatural crap, that sort of declaration of belief and allegiance to the institution is still the sort of thing you should take seriously.

So, take it seriously, and if people try to make it seem casual, make a point that you ARE taking it seriously and that's why you're not going to be as flippant about it as they are. Ask them questions like whether it's important, whether it's something to be done casually, how seriously do people take it, what it means, and whether pretending to believe is a good thing or not.

I never stop being bewildered by how many people seem to think that a pretend-Christian is better than an honest atheist.
[+] 3 users Like Reltzik's post
25-08-2015, 02:38 PM
(25-08-2015 02:32 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  Okay. All joking aside.

A baptism isn't just a silly ceremony. It's an initiation. It's saying that you accept the tenets of the church and that you're willing to join. Leaving out all the supernatural crap, that sort of declaration of belief and allegiance to the institution is still the sort of thing you should take seriously.

So, take it seriously, and if people try to make it seem casual, make a point that you ARE taking it seriously and that's why you're not going to be as flippant about it as they are. Ask them questions like whether it's important, whether it's something to be done casually, how seriously do people take it, what it means, and whether pretending to believe is a good thing or not.

I never stop being bewildered by how many people seem to think that a pretend-Christian is better than an honest atheist.

That's a good point. Especially when you consider that Christianity is all about what you believe rather than what you do. "By faith, not works" and all that stuff about thought crimes (hate = murder, lust = adultery, etc.) If God knows the heart, what's the point of pretending?

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
25-08-2015, 02:52 PM
(25-08-2015 02:32 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  Okay. All joking aside.

I agree totally! Why are we here together in these forums anyway? Are we not here to share views, support, and to be who we are free of judgement and coercion? I guess since I was brought up is a "loosely" catholic family, I may appear callous to these types of situations. I would never participate in a voluntary religious ceremony or ritual as an atheist (aside from weddings, funerals... and such).

The expectations should not be on you to not be yourself, but for everyone else to accept yourself as you are. Don't want to suggest breaking up relationships, but I am angry just knowing that there are spouses, parents, family, and friends that force this sort of crap on people they care about.

As an atheist there is no need for a baptism - so case closed and deal with it!

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
25-08-2015, 05:39 PM
(24-08-2015 06:59 PM)Luke.furlong Wrote:  But it doesn't seem to matter how many times I say no my family will just go with the whole " you're just scared that what you believe is wrong and you'll feel the lord and become a born again Christian"
So my plan was to go and be baptised just to prove a point that it has had no affect what so ever on my life.
I think my family is under the impression that this is a "phase" and eventually I'll stop being an atheist and join them in church.

They're the ones forcing their view on you. You'd be an asshole if you were trying to force them to not be Christian.
25-08-2015, 06:22 PM
My family is very odd, honestly the things I hear when I debate them is really something else. See my family is from a revivals church and I've been once before because they said if I go and don't enjoy it they will never push it onto me again. Now his born again son is saying if I go and don't feel anything that he will never push it into me again. but the first time I went I offended them and people from the church because they were speaking in tongues and I couldn't hold in my laughter. Also it's apparently rude to get that bored you resort to playing angry birds.
25-08-2015, 06:24 PM
Plus as far as I know. Well according to my ex is that not just anyone can be baptised. You actually have to have faith and all the rest of the shit and go to their church to prove it.