Atheist graveyard

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-01-2013, 11:36 AM
Atheist graveyard
Living in north wales, the only graveyards I've seen are in church grounds. It got me wondering, are there any secular graveyards? And on another note, do you feel atheists need graveyards?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-01-2013, 11:41 AM
RE: Atheist graveyard
I don't think there is anything necessarily religious about graveyards. It tends to be the ceremony around the death of a person that tends to be religious.
10-01-2013, 11:51 AM
(10-01-2013 11:41 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  I don't think there is anything necessarily religious about graveyards. It tends to be the ceremony around the death of a person that tends to be religious.
I agree with you there. But where I live at least graveyards are in church grounds, there doesn't seem to be an alternative place to be buried.
10-01-2013, 11:52 AM
I grew up near Colma, California. The city is mostly a chain of cemeteries. Many are non-denominational or rather take all comers. Some are Catholic, Jewish, Chinese (those are interesting). even a pet rest -- We grew up around them -- In fact my high school was behind one. I guess I'm odd and actually like them. But ya, there aren't any "Atheist" ones that I've heard of. I know in California, despite what you see on TV and in movies people dumping ashes any old place, if you want your family members remains you have to pay extra annually for the privilege. If you want to transport an urn, for example, health services depending on the state in the US might have an issue.

Odd side note, once at Disneyland, Pirates of the Caribbean ride was closed down for a couple days because someone dumped some human remains off the boat into the water. It's happened before I guess (Haunted Mansion and Space Mountain (eeew)....I heard a cast member talking about it....It's also rumored that some of Walt's remains were added to the cement around the partner's statue.

[Image: mrhanky.jpg]

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

10-01-2013, 11:59 AM
(10-01-2013 11:51 AM)FingerWatchTom Wrote:  ...
an alternative place to be buried.

They could start using all the closed down pits.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
10-01-2013, 12:12 PM
The cemetery here in my town is the city cemetery, not on church grounds, and not affiliated as far as I know.

Contribute to the Community Resource!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-01-2013, 01:33 PM
(10-01-2013 11:36 AM)FingerWatchTom Wrote:  Living in north wales, the only graveyards I've seen are in church grounds. It got me wondering, are there any secular graveyards? And on another note, do you feel atheists need graveyards?
It's only non-secular by name, I'm going to be cremated so it holds no banner over me.

Leviticus does not justify stupidity, but it is more than enough to define corruption of the human mind.

[Image: 24851795.jpg]
10-01-2013, 01:51 PM
(10-01-2013 11:36 AM)FingerWatchTom Wrote:  And on another note, do you feel atheists need graveyards?
No. Drinking Beverage

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
10-01-2013, 01:57 PM
For myself, I don't care one bit about what is done to my remains after I die. However I can see that having a place to identify with a loved one that has died can be helpful to some people. My wife wants a big marble shrine. If she wants to remember me with something more than just memories, I'd prefer this: http://www.lifegem.com/ but she thinks its creepy.
10-01-2013, 03:01 PM
If at all possible, I'd like to be cremated and have some (if not all) of my ashes either...

1 - Jettisoned into the Sun, so that I might become stardust once again.

2 - Added to cement and used as the basis for an artificial reef block.

3 - Mixed with fertilizer and used to plant a tree (and something epic, like a Redwood).

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post