Atheist graveyard

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-01-2013, 11:32 AM
RE: Atheist graveyard
I am leaning toward a donation toward science as well, more specifically something like the body farm.

http://fac.utk.edu/donation.html

Not only is your decomposing body studied for the forensic value but your skeletal remains are stored and used by a wide range of scientists in perpetuity.

The redwood idea is pretty cool as well.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-01-2013, 12:16 PM
atheists die- so yeah, we need graveyards.
In Israel there's a law which obligates Hevra Kadisha (the company which runs the cemeteries in Israel) to let every person to be burried as he/she views- which means that if one doesn't want a rabbi in his/her funeral, Hevra Kadisha MUST let him do that. De facto- it doesn't happen, because the the governmental establishment which is obligated to secure it will happen is controled by the religious, who don't bring the information about this law to the family's knowledge (and no- it isn't known in Israel. I only found out about this law 2 days ago, in an atheist convention), and if the family knows about this law- they probably won't obey the law, because they know the mournful family don't have the power to fight the damn bureaucracyץ
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-01-2013, 12:57 PM
(12-01-2013 12:16 PM)shiranl Wrote:  atheists die- so yeah, we need graveyards.
In Israel there's a law which obligates Hevra Kadisha (the company which runs the cemeteries in Israel) to let every person to be burried as he/she views- which means that if one doesn't want a rabbi in his/her funeral, Hevra Kadisha MUST let him do that. De facto- it doesn't happen, because the the governmental establishment which is obligated to secure it will happen is controled by the religious, who don't bring the information about this law to the family's knowledge (and no- it isn't known in Israel. I only found out about this law 2 days ago, in an atheist convention), and if the family knows about this law- they probably won't obey the law, because they know the mournful family don't have the power to fight the damn bureaucracyץ

Well, it's mostly the same here, with our alleged secular government forcing ministers to preside over military funerals. Some will rather blatantly ignore the wishes of family in deference to the clergy's own views.

The sun rises in the West and the bird shits on the coffeetable.

12-01-2013, 01:08 PM
(10-01-2013 11:36 AM)FingerWatchTom Wrote:  Living in north wales, the only graveyards I've seen are in church grounds. It got me wondering, are there any secular graveyards? And on another note, do you feel atheists need graveyards?
Graveyards are essentially religious sites due to the belief in resurrection of body.

A body deserves a certain measure of respect, out of respect to the person, humanity and our shared destiny that it represents. But it does not require, strictly speaking, a cemetery or burial. Of course atheists have feelings and they would like a quiet place to remember their loved one. The question is, do they really have to stand above the rotting thing in ground an in a place where everyone else are standing?

I would argue that cemeteries waste space and are quite unhygienic, perhaps even spreading diseases in the soil. I would argue for cremation, which saves space and is hygienic, but it's also very energetically demanding. I think atheists might chose aquamation, a method that is very low energy, fast, hygienic and... leaves very little waste.
I don't want to let all these parasites, bacteria, viruses, amoebas, prions, heavy metals and other chemicals just freely into the ground. And Darwin knows there's a plenty of them in us for the decades that we live.

Is that a problem for you? Nothing to bury, nothing to put in a jar over your fireplace... Anyway I find it obscene how much money in USA and generally it costs to dispose of the body. If people didn't compost their loved ones but handed them over for aquamation, they could afford a universal healthcare.
If you want to spend money, spend them on a memorial party for the living. Play his favorite music. Cook his favorite foods. Show his favorite movie on the projector. Read some things he wrote. So that everyone understands what it was like to have him around and they'll be able to share your grief.
Just don't hold onto the dead meat. For me it is an instrument to be valued, maintained and used carefully, but put away when it wears out, what is it for you?

Although, I'd welcome if my body was first given to the science for a while. I'd want scientists to see what the years of meditation and mystical experiences did to my brain, for example the spiritual regions of pineal and pituitary gland. And I'd ask in my last will the scientists to sum up the report in a layman language and put it near the body on a slate with big, clear letters. What's the point of supporting the science, if they won't let you read the science news? Big Grin

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!
[+] 1 user Likes Luminon's post
29-01-2013, 08:58 PM
(10-01-2013 03:01 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  If at all possible, I'd like to be cremated and have some (if not all) of my ashes either...

1 - Jettisoned into the Sun, so that I might become stardust once again.

2 - Added to cement and used as the basis for an artificial reef block.

3 - Mixed with fertilizer and used to plant a tree (and something epic, like a Redwood).

Your #2 is very interesting. I had only considered having my ashes spread over my favorite reef.

"Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.” ~ Ambrose Bierce
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
30-01-2013, 05:19 AM
I want my corpse hidden in Ken Ham's house so the smell pisses him off as I decompose.
30-01-2013, 06:21 AM
I just want to be thrown to the wolves.

[Image: opforum1.png]
30-01-2013, 06:24 AM
(30-01-2013 06:21 AM)frankiej Wrote:  I just want to be thrown to the wolves.
Do we have to wait until you're dead? Angel

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
30-01-2013, 06:46 AM
(30-01-2013 06:24 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(30-01-2013 06:21 AM)frankiej Wrote:  I just want to be thrown to the wolves.
Do we have to wait until you're dead? Angel
Well, if it happens while I'm alive, I'll befriend the wolves and eventually become their leader. I'll build a wolf army and bring an end to humanity.

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 1 user Likes frankiej's post
30-01-2013, 06:53 AM
(30-01-2013 06:46 AM)frankiej Wrote:  Well, if it happens while I'm alive, I'll befriend the wolves and eventually become their leader. I'll build a wolf army and bring an end to humanity.
Frankie, is that you? Blink

[Image: werewolf_weds_livestream_by_viergacht-d4vwypl.png]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."