Atheist group 'unblesses' highway with 'unholy' water. Church responds.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-03-2012, 02:19 PM (This post was last modified: 20-03-2012 02:35 PM by Logica Humano.)
RE: Atheist group 'unblesses' highway with 'unholy' water. Church responds.
(20-03-2012 01:06 PM)germanyt Wrote:  So now we are going to debate the meaning of militant? I'm sure you are aware of the difference between an atheist and a percieved militant atheist. Agressive doesn't have to mean violent. But it does mean obnoxious.

Yes, and I fail to see how it is militant or aggressive. If we are going to look at it that way, I suppose anybody who does anything of the sort is militant. I wouldn't even compare the constant threat of terrorism with the "threat" of someone "unblessing" a highway.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-03-2012, 02:30 PM
Hmmmm ...........

The question that occurred to me from this thread is;

Which is worse, wilful pettiness or wilful stupidity?

I'm not sure which I'd go for.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
20-03-2012, 03:03 PM
(20-03-2012 02:30 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  Hmmmm ...........

The question that occurred to me from this thread is;

Which is worse, wilful pettiness or wilful stupidity?

I'm not sure which I'd go for.

Pettiness would seem to be the more preventable of the two. I'm not sold on the stupidity being totally wilful. So I'd say pettiness is worse.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
20-03-2012, 03:08 PM

Honestly, i see it as something skit worthy on Mr Show or Family Guy.

Ludacris is right, sadly the ones that are supposed to 'get it' simply DONT or wont.

I dont have a problem, personally, with Atheists PUSHING BACK. We've been barked at and bullied for a VERY long time. Its only been recently that an Atheist can come outside and not be burnt at the stake or executed as a crime for this.

Being OUTSPOKEN and Atheist is somewhat a new phenomenon and the Christians are crying foul? Really? Please! In Memphis during the summer there are those Christians that stand on Beale Street (our big tourist money machine) Whit a HUGE cross and yell at passers by.....and THEY get a pass?

I am not gonna start a fight, but i am gonna push back!
The local church started the goofy insanity by the blessing to begin with...which should have been treated with a news clip "Local pastor blesses road with invisible friend's anoiting"..but it didnt..THAT moment of TOTAL INSANITY went unchecked...its only when local folks push back that this whole thing makes news.

Reminds me of some lyrics (oh here Dennis goes again) from an OLD Favorite band of mine! From Oingo Boingo......the song New Generation

"People raise your voices, don't get into that trap
If your friends and your neighbors push
Why don't you push them back

Don't you think the time has come
To stand up and be heard

Ain't no use to try and wait
For the magic word

Do you feel the power
Do you feel the power
Baptized in electronic water
Prodigal sons and beautiful daughters
With smiles and bows and rosy cheeks
And the righteous bath
Death to the freaks
Do you feel the power
Do you feel the power
From the man whose voice sounds reassuring
Completely firm and so alluring, Like's he's lived a thousand times before
And seen the world from shore to shore
With the calmness and tranquility that oozes credibility
With the wisdom and the confidence that seem to scream out common sense
And it makes you feel just like a babe
Daddy holding you tight and safe
Hush babe everything's all right, Daddy's gonna stay with you tonight
Now he's got you by the balls, he can sell you anything at all
From morality to diamond rings to genocide to magazines
From religion to cosmology to the death of a democracy
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Denicio's post
20-03-2012, 03:24 PM
It seems, some people think there ought to be an atheist organisation, lets call it Atheists United In Unbelief that sanctions public expressions of atheism.

"The AUIU did not sanction that unblessing, just two rogue atheists getting up to mischief. The unholy water was simply tap water, it had not received the sacrimonial blessing of the AUIU and hence was not unholy as such we (the AUIU) consider that road not to be unblessed, no need for a reblessing. We are actively doing what we can to indoctorine these rogue elements to tow the line of the AUIU ungodly principles and values."
20-03-2012, 03:27 PM
Funny as hell. Sarcasm in the face of religious stupidity is always good with me.

When I lived in Orlando the term "Polk County Redneck" was commonly used.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
20-03-2012, 03:32 PM
(20-03-2012 03:24 PM)Stevil Wrote:  It seems, some people think there ought to be an atheist organisation, lets call it Atheists United In Unbelief that sanctions public expressions of atheism.

"The AUIU did not sanction that unblessing, just two rogue atheists getting up to mischief. The unholy water was simply tap water, it had not received the sacrimonial blessing of the AUIU and hence was not unholy as such we (the AUIU) consider that road not to be unblessed, no need for a reblessing. We are actively doing what we can to indoctorine these rogue elements to tow the line of the AUIU ungodly principles and values."

Funny but just as Muslims are stereotyped as terrorists atheists are quickly being seen as childish, antagonistic, argumentative, and petty.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 2 users Like germanyt's post
20-03-2012, 03:46 PM

(20-03-2012 03:32 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(20-03-2012 03:24 PM)Stevil Wrote:  It seems, some people think there ought to be an atheist organization, lets call it Atheists United In Unbelief that sanctions public expressions of atheism.

"The AUIU did not sanction that unblessing, just two rogue atheists getting up to mischief. The unholy water was simply tap water, it had not received the sacrimonial blessing of the AUIU and hence was not unholy as such we (the AUIU) consider that road not to be unblessed, no need for a reblessing. We are actively doing what we can to indoctrinate these rogue elements to tow the line of the AUIU ungodly principles and values."

Funny but just as Muslims are stereotyped as terrorists atheists are quickly being seen as childish, antagonistic, argumentative, and petty.

Well, dan barker fights on both fronts...
1. The eloquent debtor with Facts
2. Antagonistic, Argumentative and Petty Billboard Sign fiend.

Only ONE of these ever makes a splash in national news and gets any attention.
(why would Atheist want attention? To push back the lunacy of Santorum/Palin and the likes)

Face the facts, we are the most misunderstood minority in the USA today. More distrusted than gays! In a nation where the vast majority of folk claim to believe in a god...the only way to make a splash is....well....see which of the above methods seem to work.

The only way we are gonna get understood is to be HEARD. By being Respectful, Thoughtful, Eloquent and Factual, we quietly null most arguments (Christians NEVER capitulate, even when they clearly LOOSE a debate they claim victory), but by being the squeaky wheel...we get noticed.

I struggle with this too. HOW loud should i be as a citizen? How much of a price will i pay for me and my family should i be outspoken.

Professionally i have to be silent about it (employment), personally i am quiet unless prodded..but i DO support others passion to be vocal about it..and if being petty & childish puts the word out there some more...then so be it.

The IGNORANCE of WHO we are and what we represent is astounding! I still get asked "So, you worship Satan then?" .

On the flip side i think Bill Mahar EXPOSING the bullshit of the Mormon's POST Death baptisms is CRUCIAL to our cause as well. Showing the utter stupidity of how far folks will go for their brand of delusion.
20-03-2012, 03:55 PM
(20-03-2012 03:46 PM)Denicio Wrote:  Showing the utter stupidity of how far folks will go for their brand of delusion.

But deluded people will only view others' stupidty as delusional. Crazy people don't know they're crazy.

-Mark Twain
20-03-2012, 03:59 PM

(20-03-2012 03:55 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(20-03-2012 03:46 PM)Denicio Wrote:  Showing the utter stupidity of how far folks will go for their brand of delusion.

But deluded people will only view others' stupidty as delusional. Crazy people don't know they're crazy.

And this is where you and i agree one zillion percent to the power of a zillion!

But....maybe thats where acting childish to start a discussion is necessary...then be able to follow it up with facts, questions and thoughtful commentary.