Atheist group 'unblesses' highway with 'unholy' water. Church responds.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-03-2012, 04:19 PM
RE: Atheist group 'unblesses' highway with 'unholy' water. Church responds.
I have four issues.

1 - It's a dick move.

2 - It's petulance.

3 - It was totally a publicity stunt.

4 - It's the danger of Atheism. The danger is that Atheism is, at it's core, a protest. Dr. Rollo May has written at length about the values and dangers of protest. What he says applies perfectly to the perpetrators of this stunt, but May says it better than me:

Quote:Now protesting is partially constructive, since it preserves some semblance of will by asserting it negatively – I know what I am against even if I cannot specifically know what I am for...

This gradually empties the will of content; you always are the shadow of your adversary, waiting for him to move so that you can move yourself. Sooner or later, your will becomes hollow…

We have tacitly given the power of decision over to our adversary. Blaming the enemy implies that the enemy has the freedom to choose and act, not ourselves, and we can only react to him. This assumption, in turn, destroys our own security. For in the long run, we have, against our intention, given him all the cards.
(May, Love and Will, p 192-193)

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Ghost's post
21-03-2012, 02:44 PM
(20-03-2012 04:19 PM)Ghost Wrote:  I have four issues.

1 - It's a dick move.

2 - It's petulance.

3 - It was totally a publicity stunt.

4 - It's the danger of Atheism. The danger is that Atheism is, at it's core, a protest. Dr. Rollo May has written at length about the values and dangers of protest. What he says applies perfectly to the perpetrators of this stunt, but May says it better than me:

Quote:Now protesting is partially constructive, since it preserves some semblance of will by asserting it negatively – I know what I am against even if I cannot specifically know what I am for...

This gradually empties the will of content; you always are the shadow of your adversary, waiting for him to move so that you can move yourself. Sooner or later, your will becomes hollow…

We have tacitly given the power of decision over to our adversary. Blaming the enemy implies that the enemy has the freedom to choose and act, not ourselves, and we can only react to him. This assumption, in turn, destroys our own security. For in the long run, we have, against our intention, given him all the cards.
(May, Love and Will, p 192-193)

Matt

1. Possibly. It is mocking someone's belief.

2. I wouldn't say it is petulant.

3. Yes it is.

4. That danger comes with any belief.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
21-03-2012, 09:42 PM
Hey, Logica.

1 - Word.

2 - Why not?

3 - Agreed.

4 - I disagree. There are many beliefs that are PRO something (Atheism not being one of them, but, say, dedicating one's life to exploring the universe through science is). When we know what we are for, we don't run into the same dilemma.

Matt
22-03-2012, 02:59 AM
(19-03-2012 05:19 PM)TheArcticSage Wrote:  It's kind of lucradis to believe that your god is the most powerful and yet nonbelievers unholy water will override a man of the cloth's holy water. I find their lack of faith in their god disturbing.

Exclamation
22-03-2012, 03:19 AM
(22-03-2012 02:59 AM)Atheist Wrote:  
(19-03-2012 05:19 PM)TheArcticSage Wrote:  It's kind of lucradis to believe that your god is the most powerful and yet nonbelievers unholy water will override a man of the cloth's holy water. I find their lack of faith in their god disturbing.

Exclamation

I saw it too Smile Made me happy inside.
22-03-2012, 08:22 AM
(21-03-2012 09:42 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, Logica.

1 - Word.

2 - Why not?

3 - Agreed.

4 - I disagree. There are many beliefs that are PRO something (Atheism not being one of them, but, say, dedicating one's life to exploring the universe through science is). When we know what we are for, we don't run into the same dilemma.

Matt

With any movement, you run the risk of bad publicity, protests, and assholes. I do not care if it is "pro" or they know what they want. Atheism is quite clear on its position, however, like any group, it is asshole-ridden.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
22-03-2012, 09:35 AM
(22-03-2012 02:59 AM)Atheist Wrote:  

Exclamation

Well... that does sound like something lucradis would say.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
31-03-2012, 01:08 AM
Why U Fox News?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/19...63262.html

http://www.theledger.com/article/2011012.../101265032

http://www.theledger.com/article/20101230/NEWS/12305053

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/25/us/25a....html?_r=1

Atheists are too hard on each other (which is good in general) but chill.
31-03-2012, 06:38 AM
Wow. What a douche. "That's normally what you say when aliens come to your planet." HiYo!

Man, he wasn't even funny. For fuck's sake, if you're gonna pull a dick move, be funny. And it's a fucking train wreck of half-assed organisation. Have some pride in your production! Anyhoo, I could rip it apart forever. It was bad. They should have hired Will Ferrel or the Funny or Die team; hell, College Humour could have done a better job.

Matt
31-03-2012, 02:35 PM
blah blah blah, stop whinning like a bunch of little babies. Get over yourselves, they didn't hurt anyone, they had a good time and they made a point. Who gives a rat's ass.

Seriously, wake the fuck up and stop crying every time an atheist doesn't suit your inability to stop apologizing for religion. They need to be mocked from time to time. It's obvious atheists will never get their act together and stand together because they are still christian brain fucked!

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user