Atheist guilt??

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-07-2013, 11:05 PM
RE: Atheist guilt??
(03-07-2013 09:16 PM)bedbugbrain Wrote:  I'm very new to the board and have only posted an introduction. A lot of the background of my story is there.

I've recently reconnected with a lot of my old friends on Facebook. Some of which I haven't talked to in 15-20 years. They are all from Kentucky. I've come out to a few of them with my Atheism. The reactions have been genuine curiosity and shoulder shrugging, but mostly deep offense. I'm not a very confrontational person, which doesn't help. But I very much want to be myself. It's funny, I know I have the logical arguments on my side, I'm very comfortable with my worldview, but I feel so bad about offending my old friends.

I feel like I'm on the fence of just putting it out there and seeing what happens or just keeping my mouth shut. I don't want to just deactivate my Facebook account because I have a few friends that I like keeping up with that way.

Any suggestions about how to proceed?

BBB

Though, of course, I desagree with your position as atheist, I don't think that you should feel any guilt over it, especially if you have given it considerable thought. Chances are that your "Christian" friends haven't really given it much thought beyond an adherance to tradition and social advantage, they want you to fit in with that without thinking much about it.

The true objective of a true Christian, as careful examination of the Bible has led me to believe, is to present the concept to anyone who will listen and let that person and God sort it out, and try to correct you as one of them for your own protection.

You would have to expect this, and, if you feel it necessary inform them of your position as atheist. But you shouldn't feel obligated beyond that, nor guilty.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like The Theist's post
05-07-2013, 12:01 AM
(04-07-2013 11:05 PM)The Theist Wrote:  The true objective of a true Christian, as careful examination of the Bible has led me to believe, is to present the concept to anyone who will listen and let that person and God sort it out, and try to correct you as one of them for your own protection.

Agreed.

1 Peter 3:15 -- But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect.

I hate when theists argue about whether it is their place to present an argument for their faith. It's nice to see theists in our forum, "giving an answer to everyone who asks".

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
05-07-2013, 12:26 AM
I'm with Impulse on this one.

I'm very open with my atheism and anti-theism on my FB. I have lost a few "friends" over it, but they obviously weren't real friends to begin with.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
05-07-2013, 12:45 AM
I'm not completely out myself. How do I handle it on Facebook? I like posts from atheist friends. I still comment on pages I like. My shares mainly consist of astronomy and other science news. So the ones I haven't come out to probably have a feeling. If not, they must not Facebook much or pay any attention to me.

I don't ever have a hankering to share atheist topics. Likewise, when I was religious, I never liked sharing religious topics. Mostly because I never liked the nature of religious posts. They always felt selfish to me. Thank god for this and that. God is with you blah blah. Meanwhile millions are dying from hunger.

Oops, I went off topic.

Anyway, whatever path you choose, be prepared for the consequences. Out yourself, get ready for any backlash. Keep yourself in, get ready to bite your tongue often.

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like NoahsFarce's post
12-07-2013, 11:34 PM
Sorry, I've been out of my own loop for awhile.

I should clarify, I don't really feel guilty about my atheism. Just the opposite really. I feel great about it. But I guess my weakness is that I hate disappointing people and that's most of what I get when I come out. I really wish I didn't give a damn, but I do.

It's such a weird thing. I know I have the arguments on my side but I feel like I can't win. Which is probably true...I just need to get over that.
13-07-2013, 06:22 AM
I'll tell you what I did, although I wouldn't recommend it unless you are willing to lose people, but I dove in head first and basically said "I'm an atheist. I don't believe in gods or fairies or magically delicious cereal. If you can handle that, great, if not then delete me and fuck off (this includes family)."

Now maybe I'm a little bit of a sociopath, but I schooled even my own mother when she came at me about the whole issue. (Btw, not one person on my friends list has deleted me yet). I make no excuses for my lack of belief. If someone cannot accept me for who I am, then I don't need them in my life because life is too short to deal with such people. But that is my own personal perspective, I won't tell you how to think, nor should anyone else...

Obama promised you change. Reach in your pocket, feel those coins? There's your change...
[+] 1 user Likes DeathsNotoriousAngel's post
13-07-2013, 08:43 AM
Unfriend. Simple. Thumbsup

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
13-07-2013, 10:01 AM
There are some FB friends that I just changed the settings and don't see their news feed but I can still contact them if I want to and the reverse.

I don't use FB to argue religion and those that wanted to are either set as above or a few were deleted completely. If figure if people don't want to see the things I post they can do the same, but I will not engage in any battle regarding religious beliefs there. Mostly I post silly stuff and see pics of my grandkids.

I basically got rid of the daily feeds of praise god and please pray crap.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
13-07-2013, 10:33 AM
(04-07-2013 05:35 AM)bedbugbrain Wrote:  
(03-07-2013 11:23 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  I would proceed like this. Make a new account for atheism with a nick name. Many atheists in my area have one profile for friends, family and their jobs. While having a separate account to be an atheist with.

Hmm. I didn't even know you could do that. I'll check that option out.

All you need is a separate email...and an alternate name.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
27-07-2013, 02:21 AM
(13-07-2013 06:22 AM)DeathsNotoriousAngel Wrote:  I'll tell you what I did, although I wouldn't recommend it unless you are willing to lose people, but I dove in head first and basically said "I'm an atheist. I don't believe in gods or fairies or magically delicious cereal. If you can handle that, great, if not then delete me and fuck off (this includes family)."

Now maybe I'm a little bit of a sociopath, but I schooled even my own mother when she came at me about the whole issue. (Btw, not one person on my friends list has deleted me yet). I make no excuses for my lack of belief. If someone cannot accept me for who I am, then I don't need them in my life because life is too short to deal with such people. But that is my own personal perspective, I won't tell you how to think, nor should anyone else...

I'm not afraid of a sociopath in my life. I like your approach. Can't wait for the appeals to jesus.