Atheist heroes revisited

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-06-2011, 12:43 AM
RE: Atheist heroes revisited
Atheist heros are a brand new breed. It wasn't all that long ago when anyone who stood up to the church was tortured and executed. In some countries they still will be executed.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-06-2011, 07:01 AM (This post was last modified: 23-06-2011 07:05 AM by Lilith Pride.)
As I said in the other thread secular advancements can cause atheist heroes even if the person who did it wasn't an atheist. We don't have to look up to people with a specific view of the world, just look at people who brought forth ours.

Mark Twain and Robert G. Ingersoll were great atheist writers of the 19th century.

And how dare no one mention Carlin yet? =p You gotta mention Carlin from the start.

Darwin , Einstein, and Franklin were great scientific minds who went as close to atheism as was acceptable.

It is my view that historically many deists were not real deists, it was simply a view that was still found acceptable. And even if they were deists, deists pursue real world solutions because an unattached god is not a focus in your life.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 1 user Likes Lilith Pride's post
23-06-2011, 07:26 AM
I guess I don't have many heroes. The people I consider heroes are mainly people that have changed my way of thinking. Potholer54 is a big hero of mine and I just assume he's an atheist, but I don't think he ever explicitly said that he is. Also, not to play favourites of anything like that Tongue, but I'd probably consider Lilith one of my heroes as well, for answering enough of my questions and pushing me in the right direction during a bit of self-searching.

I guess that's about it for me. Tongue I'm probably forgetting some atheist that's insanely important to me. I guess that's what the "Edit" button is for! xD

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ebilekittae's post
23-06-2011, 10:39 AM
No Sagan? Sad

I know he's not technically an atheist (he called himself an agnostic), but he's still someone to look up to. Carl Sagan taught me how to think critically. I think that's the best thing a hero can do: give tools to those who look up to him/her.

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
[+] 1 user Likes SecularStudent's post
23-06-2011, 10:46 AM
(23-06-2011 10:39 AM)SecularStudent Wrote:  No Sagan? Sad
I see Sagan more as an advocate for poetic scientific knowledge than as one for atheism.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
23-06-2011, 01:00 PM (This post was last modified: 23-06-2011 01:02 PM by lucradis.)
(22-06-2011 11:41 PM)Prokofiev Wrote:  Neil deGrasse Tyson.

Nice one. I literally had no idea who this guy was until you posted him. Forced to look him up I found a very interesting fellow, with an impressive background. I plan on listening to his point of inquiry podcast to hear his views. Thanks.
(23-06-2011 07:01 AM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  As I said in the other thread secular advancements can cause atheist heroes even if the person who did it wasn't an atheist. We don't have to look up to people with a specific view of the world, just look at people who brought forth ours.

Mark Twain and Robert G. Ingersoll were great atheist writers of the 19th century.

And how dare no one mention Carlin yet? =p You gotta mention Carlin from the start.

Darwin , Einstein, and Franklin were great scientific minds who went as close to atheism as was acceptable.

It is my view that historically many deists were not real deists, it was simply a view that was still found acceptable. And even if they were deists, deists pursue real world solutions because an unattached god is not a focus in your life.

Silly, I didn't want to take all the big obvious ones from everyone else.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
23-06-2011, 02:15 PM
(23-06-2011 07:01 AM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  And how dare no one mention Carlin yet? =p You gotta mention Carlin from the start.

Hehe, when I read "heroes", I wasn't thinking about "personal heroes" (people to look up to), but "people who did something heroic", like saving people, like the "seven in heaven" firemen, or doing great things for society, like Alan Turing who played major roles in World War II and in the development of modern computers.

If I had thought about personal heroes I would've mentioned Carlin too.

The God excuse: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument. "God did it." Anything we can't describe must have come from God. - George Carlin

Whenever I'm asked "What if you're wrong?", I always show the asker this video: http://youtu.be/iClejS8vWjo Screw Pascal's wager.
24-06-2011, 10:26 AM
(23-06-2011 01:00 PM)lucradis Wrote:  
(22-06-2011 11:41 PM)Prokofiev Wrote:  Neil deGrasse Tyson.

Nice one. I literally had no idea who this guy was until you posted him. Forced to look him up I found a very interesting fellow, with an impressive background. I plan on listening to his point of inquiry podcast to hear his views. Thanks.

I love Neil deGrasse Tyson. He was a big influence on me enjoying scientific thinking more and more from watching him frequently on NOVA: Science Now during high school.

Everyone has to respect the classic and modern legendary ones. I have a few side favorites:

Philosopher - Jean-Paul Sartre
French Revolutionist - Marquis de Condorcet
Vladimir Lenin
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
24-06-2011, 01:48 PM
Neitzsche, David Hume, Ayn Rand, Bertrand Russell

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post
24-06-2011, 07:26 PM
I enjoy everyone's picks thus far. I think the great thing about atheist heroes (whom I determine to be someone who was an atheist/agnostic who did good things, or someone who stands up for atheism) tend to be of the type that everyone seems able to agree upon. I think that has to do with the idea that we all enjoy people who do good things, and we all share the same religious point of view which truly limits the ability to bicker. You don't get that with religious heroes. There is always someone who is also religious, but is in a slightly different religion, who feels the need to discredit them, and take away all of the good they have done.

Please keep going, I like getting new people to look up to, it gives me hope in humanity.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison