Atheist heroes revisited

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-06-2011, 08:51 PM
RE: Atheist heroes revisited
(23-06-2011 12:43 AM)No J. Wrote:  Atheist heros are a brand new breed.

I'm not sure there is such a beast. At least not one who would either want or admit to it. But I guess nowadays everybody's in show biz, it doesn't matter who you are.

(23-06-2011 07:26 AM)ebilekittae Wrote:  I guess I don't have many heroes.

Ditto. Probably best to not go looking for them either. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-06-2011, 09:00 PM
I'm a volunteer firefighter and a solider..
[+] 1 user Likes Monk's post
25-06-2011, 04:09 AM
I have a problem with Ayn Rand...although I respect that she's an atheist, her dog-eat-dog political/economic position is incredibly inhumane and not supported by history or sociology.

The way to see by Faith, is to shut the eye of Reason. - Ben Franklin
26-08-2012, 12:00 AM
But who are the atheist heroes who have done brave and selfless heroic acts that are unrelated to atheism itself? Pat Tillman comes to mind but I can't think of another example. After 9/11, he turned down a $3.6 million pro football contract to risk his life serving his country.

(24-06-2011 07:26 PM)lucradis Wrote:  I enjoy everyone's picks thus far. I think the great thing about atheist heroes (whom I determine to be someone who was an atheist/agnostic who did good things, or someone who stands up for atheism) tend to be of the type that everyone seems able to agree upon. I think that has to do with the idea that we all enjoy people who do good things, and we all share the same religious point of view which truly limits the ability to bicker. You don't get that with religious heroes. There is always someone who is also religious, but is in a slightly different religion, who feels the need to discredit them, and take away all of the good they have done.

Please keep going, I like getting new people to look up to, it gives me hope in humanity.