Atheist hypocrisy and obsession questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-02-2015, 08:20 AM
Atheist hypocrisy and obsession questions
1. A 'god' and a 'country' are both factually the exact same thing. Both are just abstract concepts. One is a political abstraction, the other is a religious abstraction. They are both factually the same yet every atheist I talk to seems to think 'countries' are something more than just a mere abstraction. If reifying a 'god' is religion then isn't the reification of a 'country' also religion? Why the hypocrisy? 

2. Why are atheists obsessed with what other people think? I could care less about anybody's religious beliefs. Should I be obsessing like you guys? Even the term 'atheist' is based on resenting somebody else's thoughts... Labels are silly to begin with yet labeling yourself based other people's thoughts is a bit obsessive, don't you think?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-02-2015, 08:35 AM
RE: Atheist hypocrisy and obsession questions
(16-02-2015 08:20 AM)Anti Wrote:  ...
the exact same thing.
Even the term 'atheist' is based on resenting somebody else's thoughts.

Interesting use of the word 'exact'. Dodgy

Hi. I'm Sergeant DLJ of TTA's Thought Police.

Nothing to see here. Move along, please.

Wink

[+] 14 users Like DLJ's post
16-02-2015, 08:41 AM
(16-02-2015 08:20 AM)Anti Wrote:  1. A 'god' and a 'country' are both factually the exact same thing. Both are just abstract concepts. One is a political abstraction, the other is a religious abstraction. They are both factually the same yet every atheist I talk to seems to think 'countries' are something more than just a mere abstraction. If reifying a 'god' is religion then isn't the reification of a 'country' also religion? Why the hypocrisy? 

A country is a political construct. In order to qualify then there must be certain qualifications met. It must have a population, borders, and some form of governance. All these are real things that can be objectively measured and verified. What is a god? What qualifies a god? How can we objectively verify it?

Quote:2. Why are atheists obsessed with what other people think? I could care less about anybody's religious beliefs. Should I be obsessing like you guys? Even the term 'atheist' is based on resenting somebody else's thoughts... Labels are silly to begin with yet labeling yourself based other people's thoughts is a bit obsessive, don't you think?

When someone keys my car or slashes my tires or physically assaults me because I don't believe in their god, it bothers me. When laws are made to discriminate against me because I don't believe in god, it bothers me. When large portions of the population treat me with hostility because I don't believe, I get upset.

I don't care what people think. I care how they act.
[+] 26 users Like natachan's post
16-02-2015, 09:02 AM (This post was last modified: 16-02-2015 09:24 AM by true scotsman.)
(16-02-2015 08:20 AM)Anti Wrote:  1. A 'god' and a 'country' are both factually the exact same thing. Both are just abstract concepts. One is a political abstraction, the other is a religious abstraction. They are both factually the same yet every atheist I talk to seems to think 'countries' are something more than just a mere abstraction. If reifying a 'god' is religion then isn't the reification of a 'country' also religion? Why the hypocrisy? 

2. Why are atheists obsessed with what other people think? I could care less about anybody's religious beliefs. Should I be obsessing like you guys? Even the term 'atheist' is based on resenting somebody else's thoughts... Labels are silly to begin with yet labeling yourself based other people's thoughts is a bit obsessive, don't you think?

You are very confused. These two are not factually the same. One is a valid concept and the other is not. One is based on facts and the other is imaginary. The concept "country" is an abstraction. An abstraction is a mental integration of two or more units of a group of similar things. It is a way for our minds to compress a vast number, actually and unlimited number, of concretes or objects into a single mental unit. We can then also form abstractions of a group of similar concepts. This is a higher level concept. We can also integrate higher level concepts into still higher level ones. No matter how far a concept is from the perceptual level, to be valid, it must be reducible to a perceptual level concept. "Country" can be reduced to the perceptual level, "God" can not. We have no alternative but to imagine God.

A concept, to be valid, must be traceable to the perceptual level. It must integrate actual things. The concept "country" is an integration of actual countries. The United States is an actual thing, a concrete. Russia is an actual place. The concept integrates an unlimited number of countries. It subsumes every country that exists now, has ever existed and will ever exist. We know what the concrete referents of the concept "country" are. What is the objective reference of the concept "God"?

The difference between the concept "country" and the concept "God" is one of validity. The concept "God" has no referents in reality as the concept "country" does. You can go and see all the different countries but you can't go and see God. It is an arbitrary concept. It is completely made up just as dragons are. It's actually not even a valid concept. It is an imaginative projection. It is an isolation of certain aspects of man with impossible attributes added on. It is imaginary.

As for your other question, I'll ask why do Christians care so much what I think and why do they feel the need to stop me on the street or come knocking on my door on Saturdays? Then when I tell them I'm atheist I get the judgmental and condescending attitude from them as if I were the one who was delusional.

Since your worldview has no epistemology or study of the nature and methods of knowledge, it is not surprising that you are so hopelessly confused. Your world view's idea of epistemology is mindless acceptance of passages from a book of made up stories.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 3 users Like true scotsman's post
16-02-2015, 09:08 AM
I think that when you put your underwear on with the panel facing forward, life is more enjoyable.

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like houseofcantor's post
16-02-2015, 09:10 AM
Great another strawman maker.

[Image: strawman-full.jpg]

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post
16-02-2015, 09:10 AM
(16-02-2015 09:08 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I think that when you put your underwear on with the panel facing forward, life is more enjoyable.

Underwear is an abstract concept.

#sigh
[+] 7 users Like GirlyMan's post
16-02-2015, 09:24 AM
(16-02-2015 09:10 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(16-02-2015 09:08 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I think that when you put your underwear on with the panel facing forward, life is more enjoyable.

Underwear is an abstract concept.

And the absence of underwear leads to an even more enjoyable life
(only if risk is managed by the use of button flies).

Let is all rejoice in aunderwearism.

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
16-02-2015, 09:25 AM
(16-02-2015 09:24 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(16-02-2015 09:10 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Underwear is an abstract concept.

And the absence of underwear leads to an even more enjoyable life

Why are all aunderwearists obsessed with people who wear underwear?

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 6 users Like TheInquisition's post
16-02-2015, 09:28 AM
(16-02-2015 09:25 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(16-02-2015 09:24 AM)DLJ Wrote:  And the absence of underwear leads to an even more enjoyable life

Why are all aunderwearists obsessed with people who wear underwear?

They want them to take their pants off Blush

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post