Atheist hypocrisy and obsession questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-02-2015, 08:00 AM
RE: Atheist hypocrisy and obsession questions
(17-02-2015 07:54 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(17-02-2015 07:43 AM)Chas Wrote:  Followed by "They are generally identified by convention rather than any strict criteria ..."

That line was added by the Lizard people.

How did I not see that? Facepalm

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
17-02-2015, 08:29 AM
the only disagreement seems to be where does one continent start and the other one end. which is still just a question about the physical state of the land.

The next paragraph on continents starts with "In geology, continents are described by means of tectonic plates."

Still everyone agrees that a 'continent' is a landmass. Is anyone also claiming that a 'continent' is also people or a political abstraction?

what reification is happening with 'continents?'
Find all posts by this user
17-02-2015, 09:58 AM
(17-02-2015 08:29 AM)Anti Wrote:  what reification is happening with 'continents?'

Apparently quite a bit.

[Image: continents.png]

#sigh
17-02-2015, 10:19 AM
(17-02-2015 09:58 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(17-02-2015 08:29 AM)Anti Wrote:  what reification is happening with 'continents?'

Apparently quite a bit.

[Image: continents.png]

Oooh! Muffsy will be pissed off by that!

I'm in Perth right now so according to the diagram, he has to worship my continent.

Instead of us both worshiping the same, equal continent of Australasia.

Big Grin

17-02-2015, 10:59 AM
Its still just people arguing about the land. where is the reification of abstraction?

I never knew why some people said europe and asia were seperate continents when there is no separation anywhere.

No matter what aren't we all perfectly clear that we are just discussing the land.

Maybe I don't see it, so specifically what abstractions are being reified? Is anybody even alleging that a 'continent' is something other than land?
17-02-2015, 11:09 AM (This post was last modified: 17-02-2015 11:17 AM by GirlyMan.)
(17-02-2015 10:59 AM)Anti Wrote:  Its still just people arguing about the land. where is the reification of abstraction?

I never knew why some people said europe and asia were seperate continents when there is no separation anywhere.

No matter what aren't we all perfectly clear that we are just discussing the land.

Maybe I don't see it, so specifically what abstractions are being reified? Is anybody even alleging that a 'continent' is something other than land?

I dunno, are they?

(16-02-2015 05:54 PM)Anti Wrote:  Here is a double checkmate to go along with Rand McNally.... check out this satellite image of earth. All you see is land and water. Thats it. Those lines you sometimes see demarcating what they call 'continents' are make believe. Just some white dudes made those lines up. Thats the facts, and just because men with science are being paid to pretend those imaginary lines are real does not make them real. It just makes those people who believe they are real... delusional. Forced reification is still religion.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
17-02-2015, 11:25 AM
I still don't get how you see this goes anywhere.

Are we aware that country or a euro-asia continent distinction is nothing more than a collectively thought up idea? Yes. Just as we are aware God is a collectively thought up idea we humans are aware of. Does it mean either or is really... true?

If there were no more humans, would a "country" in it's defined manner exist? No, it wouldn't. And if there were no more humans, would a "god" in it's defined manner exist? Atheists positions are of the, no - not likely - I don't believe so, range.

But atheism isn't the denial of the god idea or it's potential to have some use for some humans, it's the disbelief of it being anything beyond that social construct level.

You don't see people being acountryist because what would be the merit or harm seen in not believing in a country existing.. well in saying that there are those who are extreme anti-nationalists and may take it this far but it's another position entirely. They are based on different reasoning and values. But there's a difference in thinking it literally doesn't exist and thinking the idea and merit of agreeing with it is damaging.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
17-02-2015, 11:38 AM
So Anti, what culture are you originally from? You know... the way you were raised before you decided it would be a good idea to exist in a vaccum. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
17-02-2015, 12:00 PM
(17-02-2015 11:38 AM)kim Wrote:  So Anti, what culture are you originally from? You know... the way you were raised before you decided it would be a good idea to exist in a vaccum. Drinking Beverage

Its simple deconstructionism. The people and Rand McNally seem to have no issues understanding this. Some reason only the thinking atheists are having a hard time gasping it.

Its reification. Its religion. That must be why some of you guys are fighting it so much because that would mean you'd have to admit you're no different than those religious people you all resent.
17-02-2015, 12:20 PM
(17-02-2015 12:00 PM)Anti Wrote:  
(17-02-2015 11:38 AM)kim Wrote:  So Anti, what culture are you originally from? You know... the way you were raised before you decided it would be a good idea to exist in a vaccum. Drinking Beverage

Its simple deconstructionism. The people and Rand McNally seem to have no issues understanding this. Some reason only the thinking atheists are having a hard time gasping it.

Its reification. Its religion. That must be why some of you guys are fighting it so much because that would mean you'd have to admit you're no different than those religious people you all resent.

Excessive generalization Strawmans X 1000 Smartass

We are no different, we all eat and breathe and make up stupid little stories in our heads

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post