Atheist hypocrisy and obsession questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-02-2015, 10:54 AM
RE: Atheist hypocrisy and obsession questions
(18-02-2015 08:11 AM)Anti Wrote:  
(18-02-2015 12:46 AM)ResistenceXD0001 Wrote:  1: Thats a pretty silly question. A country can be observed, and has marked boundaries. A country isn't an abstract thought. Its a definable, section of land, governed by a certain people.

"A country can be observed, and has marked boundaries." --- I'm not going to disagree with you, yet can you show me where you observed a country on this satellite photo of earth?

[Image: Nasa_blue_marble.jpg]

Nice try. you know damn well that the boundaries are marked by humans, and do not appear on topography maps, or satellite images. I live in america, and have seen both the America mexico border, and the Canada america border. I know where one country ends, and the other begins. You are now using a poor debate tactic called over generalization..... Which is also a very very poor logic shield. The only thing that beats logic is better logic.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ResistenceXD0001's post
18-02-2015, 01:21 PM
(16-02-2015 08:20 AM)Anti Wrote:  1. A 'god' and a 'country' are both factually the exact same thing. Both are just abstract concepts. One is a political abstraction, the other is a religious abstraction. They are both factually the same yet every atheist I talk to seems to think 'countries' are something more than just a mere abstraction. If reifying a 'god' is religion then isn't the reification of a 'country' also religion? Why the hypocrisy?
If I have to explain to you why this is a false equivalence then there's not much I can really do to help. Not only are there no debates in shared reality about the existence of countries (because we all experience them substantially the same) but there are no pro-and-con positions about the existence of a specific country -- say, Denmark. This alone should tell you there's a difference.

Try to cross the border of Denmark without a passport and see what happens.

Shake your fist at the heavens and curse god and see what happens. Kill an innocent child in Denmark and who dispenses justice? God, or the Danish police and judicial systems?
(16-02-2015 08:20 AM)Anti Wrote:  2. Why are atheists obsessed with what other people think?
Why would you assert that they are?
(16-02-2015 08:20 AM)Anti Wrote:  I could care less about anybody's religious beliefs. Should I be obsessing like you guys?
Why would you assert that any of us (much less "we") are obsessive? Or that we care any more than you claim to about anyone's religious beliefs?

Maybe it is because you're attempting to redirect attention from what we're actually concerned with to something we're not concerned with, because the latter is easier to dispense with.
(16-02-2015 08:20 AM)Anti Wrote:  Even the term 'atheist' is based on resenting somebody else's thoughts...
No, it is based on not seeing any reason to believe in any deities at all.
(16-02-2015 08:20 AM)Anti Wrote:  Labels are silly to begin with yet labeling yourself based other people's thoughts is a bit obsessive, don't you think?
In the Real World (meatspace, where I basically never discuss (a)theism) I am far more defined as a husband / father / stepfather / software developer / taxpayer, etc., than as an atheist. Atheism is a philosophical label for purposes of philosophical discussions, which we come here specifically to engage in for no more mysterious reasons than I go to software development forums to discuss software development.
18-02-2015, 02:22 PM
(18-02-2015 08:11 AM)Anti Wrote:  
(18-02-2015 12:46 AM)ResistenceXD0001 Wrote:  1: Thats a pretty silly question. A country can be observed, and has marked boundaries. A country isn't an abstract thought. Its a definable, section of land, governed by a certain people.

"A country can be observed, and has marked boundaries." --- I'm not going to disagree with you, yet can you show me where you observed a country on this satellite photo of earth?

[Image: Nasa_blue_marble.jpg]

Cuba is clearly distinguishable on that map. You need to have more effort and learn to analyze? Can I negate this point, before you make it if you think you are actually stating something you deem as worthy... oh yes, also you can notice Jamaica there below Cuba.

I know for my sake, I already have acknowledge here if all humans and all their technological records were wiped out tomorrow, there would be no strong distinctions that make areas countries.

I'm waiting for a step further to say so what if that was the case? I don't know what it is you think it would mean. If someone would of asked why do you then believe in a countries but not gods; I'd say they still have beneficial social impacts to help many peoples daily communications and activities.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
18-02-2015, 03:59 PM
(18-02-2015 02:22 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Cuba is clearly distinguishable on that map. You need to have more effort and learn to analyze? Can I negate this point, before you make it if you think you are actually stating something you deem as worthy... oh yes, also you can notice Jamaica there below Cuba.

I know for my sake, I already have acknowledge here if all humans and all their technological records were wiped out tomorrow, there would be no strong distinctions that make areas countries.

You are claiming than an island of land is a 'country.' Is every island of land also a 'country?' yes/no

If 'no' then why not?
18-02-2015, 04:07 PM
(18-02-2015 03:59 PM)Anti Wrote:  
(18-02-2015 02:22 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Cuba is clearly distinguishable on that map. You need to have more effort and learn to analyze? Can I negate this point, before you make it if you think you are actually stating something you deem as worthy... oh yes, also you can notice Jamaica there below Cuba.

You are claiming than an island of land is a 'country.' Is every island of land also a 'country?' yes/no

If 'no' then why not?

Did I said Hati/Dominican Republic are distinguishable despite being visible? No. Because I know those 4 countries general boarders but difference of water vs land is less visible and I don't know the specific point of when Hati and DR change. I answered the question as you asked it and I think you poorly constructed it but get the point you are trying to make.

Do you have a relevant point on this that matters? Instead of ignoring where the point is going by wasting time with really dull questions you know the answers to and know I know the answers to.. Unless you are of a lower intellectual acumen than I'm openly granting you are of.

18-02-2015, 04:15 PM
(18-02-2015 04:07 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Do you have a relevant point on this that matters? Instead of ignoring where the point is going by wasting time with really dull questions you know the answers to and know I know the answers to.. Unless you are of a lower intellectual acumen than I'm openly granting you are of.

Its a simple yes/no question. There is nothing dull about it.

The point is you said those islands were 'countries?' So I am wondering if all islands are 'countries?' --- yes/no

If yes then I apologize.
If no then why isn't every island of land also a 'country?'
18-02-2015, 04:19 PM
(18-02-2015 04:15 PM)Anti Wrote:  
(18-02-2015 04:07 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Do you have a relevant point on this that matters? Instead of ignoring where the point is going by wasting time with really dull questions you know the answers to and know I know the answers to.. Unless you are of a lower intellectual acumen than I'm openly granting you are of.

Its a simple yes/no question. There is nothing dull about it.

The point is you said those islands were 'countries?' So I am wondering if all islands are 'countries?' --- yes/no

If yes then I apologize.
If no then why isn't every island of land also a 'country?'

I literally already said no in answering your and my added point to explain the reasoning. and in doing so was giving you my explanation to why to what your follow up question here for no is.

Yes it is a dull question because it's a twice answered question that You already knew the answer to. If you didn't, you really need to improve you comprehensions or communication skills.

18-02-2015, 04:35 PM
(18-02-2015 04:19 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I literally already said no in answering your and my added point to explain the reasoning. and in doing so was giving you my explanation to why to what your follow up question here for no is.
just a point of clarification. no need to get all huffy.

Since all islands are factually exactly the same thing. Just some land surrounded by water. Could you clarify again why you think some are not 'countries?'
18-02-2015, 04:45 PM (This post was last modified: 18-02-2015 04:50 PM by ClydeLee.)
(18-02-2015 04:35 PM)Anti Wrote:  
(18-02-2015 04:19 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I literally already said no in answering your and my added point to explain the reasoning. and in doing so was giving you my explanation to why to what your follow up question here for no is.
just a point of clarification. no need to get all huffy.

Since all islands are factually exactly the same thing. Just some land surrounded by water. Could you clarify again why you think some are not 'countries?'

It's a matter of wasting my own time for someone I deem to be either a troll or showing a lacking of simple communication skills, so I may or may not be huffy if I desire.

It's a simple manner. Some have historical political or cultural differences that cause separations of boundaries upon areas that aren't also geologically present such as the water around the land. Some Island separate parts of it due to these differences. Some don't and contain their island landmass as their country. Some islands expand their country to other landmasses too.

18-02-2015, 04:50 PM
Oh we are allowed to ask questions and dictate what a persons answer should be now? Cool rule, let me try. Yes or no answers only Anti.

Can a god be identified geographically?
Can a god be identified via shared culture or history?
Can a god be identified via the make up of a population?
Can a god be identified via a shared language?
Can a god be identified via political ideology?

Here are some other questions for you to dishonestly ignore, with answers beyond a simple yes or no.

What country do you live in and how do you know?
If you were commanded by your nations leader to lead an army in an invasion of a different country how would you know where to go if a country is JUST an abstract concept?

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 2 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post